VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Renders templates for Blu-ray in DVD Architect

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

Renders templates for Blu-ray in DVD Architect was created by BobH

Posted 02 Jun 2017 22:09 #1
Hello all,
My source video is AVCHD 1929x1080 50p which I edit in VEGAS Pro 13. I first save a master copy by rendering using the template Sony AVC HD 1920x1080 50p which renders as an .mp4 file. All good so far.

Now I need to create a Blu-ray disc. I can render using the Sony AVC HD 1280x720 50p template I have created which also renders as an .mp4 file. This is fine except if I use this in DVD Architect the video will have to be rendered again to make it Blu-ray compliant. Alternatively I can render using the Mainconcept MPEG-2 HD 1280x720 50p video stream template I have created. The advantage is it renders as an .m2v file which will not be rendered again in DVD Architect. The disadvantage is that the file size is considerably larger using Mainconcept MPEG-2 than using Sony AVC. My question is whether there is some way I can use the Sony AVC template when rendering which will give me a compliant file for DVD Architect? I believe the answer is no but I just need to check from those whose knowledge is greater than my own.

Thank you
BobH
Last Edit:03 Jun 2017 01:00 by BobH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Renders templates for Blu-ray in DVD Architect

Posted 03 Jun 2017 01:06 #2
When I create custom templates for DVD Architect output, I always start with one of the pre-made templates, because the settings are already correct for Blu-ray. Sony AVC/MVC Blu-ray templates do not allow 50p output, so I always use Mainconcept MPEG2. I never worry about file size, because a Blu-ray disc has plenty of room and I always prefer to use Higher Bit Rates, so I can achieve maximum quality. Sony AVC uses a much lower bit rate.

If I am outputting 1280x720-50p for Blu-ray, these are the settings I use.

The Blu-ray specification allows up to 40 Mbps Bit Rate when working with 1280-720-50p.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

• BobH
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by BobH on topic Renders templates for Blu-ray in DVD Architect

Posted 03 Jun 2017 02:06 #3
Hello Derek and thank you for your reply. Looking at your MPEG-2 render template I see both Prioritize quality over speed and Insert sequence header before every GOP are ticked.

So I render using this template at a variable bit rate of 25Mbps and presumably render as a separate video stream. When I go into DVD Architect I presume I need to set the properties as Blu-ray, MPEG-2 and then set the bit rate also as 25Mbps otherwise it will need to be rendered again, so please will you confirm that I am correct here? I presume 25Mbps will give excellent quality even though it can go higher and up to 40Mbps as you state. If I set it too high might my Blu-ray player struggle to play it correctly.

Thanks for your help.
BobH
by BobH

Posted 03 Jun 2017 11:35 #4
NEVER change the Bit Rate setting inside of DVD Architect - this may cause some of your media to be re-rendered.
If the video has been rendered to correct Blu-ray specifications, DVDA will understand what is going on.
If everything is good, it will be burnt to disc without any re-rendering.

The most important thing is to make sure your DVDA Project Properties match your Video's properties precisely.
That includes the Audio Format you rendered with.

Here are my settings for 1280x720-50p and using a .WAV audio file.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Jun 2017 14:27 by DoctorZen
Attachments:

Posted 03 Jun 2017 11:42 #5
Something extra...just incase you ever work on a very long video for Blu-ray.
I'm sure you have heard of Mark's Bit Rate Calculator for DVD.
This calculator is great, but can't work out Blu-ray settings.

Blu-ray discs are either 25 GB single layer or 50 GB dual layer (there are higher capacities, but these two are the most common/available).
If you ever have a really long video you want to fit perfectly onto a Blu-ray disc, use this online calculator to create custom bit rates.
dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php

I have used this calculator many times and it does a great job.
It does take a little bit of time and patience to understand, but is worth the effort.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Renders templates for Blu-ray in DVD Architect

Posted 03 Jun 2017 12:30 #6
Just to clarify - I don't find a different video bitrate causes DVDA to recompress. If the file is compliant it won't. The DVDA project bitrate is used when DVDA creates menus etc, or has to recompress because the video file isn't Blu-ray compliant.

I've just double checked and a compliant 16 Mbps video file doesn't get recompressed with the project bitrate at 20 Mbps and likewise a 22 Mbps video file doesn't get recompressed with the project at 16 Mbps.

After all you can add a SD VOB file taken from a DVD and add it to a Blu-ray disk and it shouldn't get recompressed even though its bitrate is way below the DVDA project bitrate. That's because VOB files are part of the Blu-ray specs. They end up renamed to mts files on your disc though.
by ericlnz

Posted 03 Jun 2017 14:32 #7

I don't find a different video bitrate causes DVDA to recompress.

Thank you Eric for adding some extra info.
I have edited my statement to say may cause problems.

I answer a huge amount of questions everyday and don't have time to sit there testing every single thing I say, otherwise I never get any of my own work done. The reason why I said what I said, is because I have had many new users muck around with that one particular setting and get into all sorts of trouble. For that reason, that's why I recommend to leave default settings where they are. Thank you for adding some further clarification. Cheers :)
Last Edit:03 Jun 2017 14:33 by DoctorZen

• BobH
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by BobH on topic Renders templates for Blu-ray in DVD Architect

Posted 03 Jun 2017 23:08 #8
Thank you Derek and Eric for taking the time to help me out which is greatly appreciated. Thank you Derek for the link to the bit rate calculator for Blu-ray.

Regards
BobH
Last Edit:14 Jul 2017 13:43 by BobH

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.865 seconds