VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Trying to burn a Blu-ray DVD

• Robert
  • Robert's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 4

Trying to burn a Blu-ray DVD was created by Robert

Posted 28 May 2018 14:20 #1
I followed the video instructions to make my first blue ray dvd. I got all the way to click to "Finish". Then, I get the " Insert a writable disk"

I'm an ol' guy trying to do some dvds for my grandsons wedding. I burned standard dvds of the wedding with no problem. So, I thought "what the heck let's see if I can give him a nice Blue Ray DVD." i followed the videos on how to do it and got stopped at the finish button. The program shows there's a dvd present but, doesn't see it when i click "Finish"

Additional info: I just checked the properties of the Verbatim BD-R disks and they all show 0 space available. New package received today. I baffled.

OK, Now after some investigation I find the DVD drive I have only reads Blue Ray and doesn't write. I'm really upset over this and won't buy from TigerDirect again. I specifically asked for a Blue-ray writer. It's been 3 years so I can't do anything about it. Tomorrow a new drive is arriving and I'll try again. I'll let you know how it works.
Last Edit:28 May 2018 15:32 by Robert
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Trying to burn a Blu-ray DVD

Posted 28 May 2018 15:32 #2
Hi Robert

Thanks for the screen shots :)
The official name for Blu-ray disc is Blu-ray disc - exactly as I have written it, with capital B first, hyphen and then lower case d.

What type of discs did you buy and try to use?
To burn a Blu-ray disc, you must insert a writable Blu-ray disc and not a writable DVD.

In your pack of Blu-ray discs, they should say something like BD-RE or BD-R
What brand and capacity are they ?
25 GB and 50 GB are the most common.

Here are a couple of different things to check.

1. If you have many different packs of writable discs, it is easy to get them mixed up.
I have done this myself!

2. Also make sure the disc you inserted, has not already been used.
This is another common mistake that is easy to do.

3. Thanks to your screen shot, you have reported your ASUS drive as model BC-12B1ST b 1.00
I am assuming that the b 1.00 is referring to the Firmware build version for this drive.
I went to the ASUS website and it is showing that the firmware for your drive is now at version 3.01
This could be the reason why your Blu-ray disc is not registering correctly.
You need to update the firmware to version 3.01

Make sure there are no discs in your Drive !!!
Close any programs you have open.
Then go to this link:[/b]
www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Storage/BC12B1ST/HelpDesk_Download/
Select your Operating System version from drop down list.
If you are unsure as to what exact version of Windows you have installed, it is easy to find out.
Go to the Windows Search box next to the Windows Start button.
Type "dxdiag" and run the program that appears in results.
Here you will see which version of Windows you have.

Now download the firmware version from ASUS.
You will get a .zip file downloaded to your Downloads folder.
Right-click the file and select Extract All.
Open the new folder and double-click ASUS ODD FW Updater For BC-12B1ST.exe
Follow any instructions to install firmware upgrade.
Then re-boot your computer.

Now try and burn a Blu-ray disc.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 May 2018 18:12 by DoctorZen

• Robert
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by Robert on topic Trying to burn a Blu-ray DVD

Posted 28 May 2018 15:46 #3
I have ver 3.01.01.0 for the drive. It still says the disk is full. I think it's not a burner and only a reader. tomorrow I'll try the new LG drive model LG WH16NS40 Super Multi Blue Internal SATA 16x Blu-ray Disc Rewriter .
I'll keep you posted. I also wanted an "M" type for archiving videos.

Thanks for your response. Where would we be without your assistance?

Bob
Last Edit:28 May 2018 15:47 by Robert

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Trying to burn a Blu-ray DVD

Posted 28 May 2018 17:41 #4

I have ver 3.01.01.0 for the drive. It still says the disk is full. I think it's not a burner and only a reader.

I can't believe I didn't check that myself !!!
Yes this is your problem !
Specs listed here:
www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Storage/BC12B1ST/specifications/
Your ASUS drive cannot burn to Blu-ray, only DVD and CD.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 May 2018 17:42 by DoctorZen

Replied by vkmast on topic Trying to burn a Blu-ray DVD

Posted 28 May 2018 17:48 #5
Yes, this mix-up with the BD burner/writer vs. the BD reader happens. In one of my very first discussions on any video forum I came across this. It took quite a few postings until the OP there realized that he had actually received just a BD reader.
Note that there are BD-R and BD-RE discs. BD-R discs can be written to once, whereas BD-RE (Blu-ray Disc Recordable Erasable) can be erased and re-recorded multiple times.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Robert
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by Robert on topic Trying to burn a Blu-ray DVD

Posted 05 Jun 2018 06:14 #6
I received the Blu-ray writer and made my first Blu-ray DVD. I followed your instructions from the video you posted on burning DVDs and Blu-ray DVDs. I did have trouble with the audio and worked on that for 1/2 an hour before I discovered the audio file I rendered had a different name assigned to it for some reason. I finally got that solved and it worked fine.
I did order some M Type DVDs also and burned an archival DVD of the wedding and told my grnadson to be sure to make a copy of it in the year 3017 just in case they don't last the 1000 years they guarantee. Not sure what he will be able to read the disk on in 1000 years. who knows what will be the equipment used then?
Again thanks for the spectacular help doing this project.

~Robert~
Last Edit:05 Jun 2018 11:47 by Robert
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.901 seconds