VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved DVDA re-rendering

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

DVDA re-rendering was created by BobH

Posted 07 Nov 2018 04:24 #1
Hi all and I hope someone can give me some advice.

I completed a project (raw files are HD 1080 50P and mp4). I first render as mp4 to archive my project at the best quality, but then I re-render to produce a Blu-ray disc. As I have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card I use the following settings:

MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 format and then the Blu-ray 1920x1080-50i, 25 Mbps video stream Template.

I customise this template to the following:

I set variable bit rate to 25 Mbps maximum and average bit rate to 18 Mbps so the files will fit onto a 25GB disc.

If I use the NV Encoder I will get an avc file and the render takes about 65 minutes.
If I use the MainConcept Encoder I will also get an avc file but the render takes so much longer, about 100 minutes.

In DVDA7 I set up the project as follows:

Disc format is Blu-ray disc
Target media size(GB) is 25.00
Video format is AVC
Bit rate (Mbps) is 18.000
Aspect ratio is 16:9
Resolution is 1920x1080
Frame rate is 25.000 interlaced
Audio format is PCM stereo
Bit depth is 16
Sample rate (Hz) is 48,000

Disc space used shows as 22.9 GB

When I go to prepare the disc it shows that all the video will be compressed.

If I go to optimize disc this is confirmed and the estimated size on disc will be 92%.

The reason for recompression given is that the media is not compliant with the disc format.
The recompress settings for the video format can be set as From project, MPEG-2 or AVC.
I cannot see why this is so as the rendered file is already in avc format.

I know the alternative would be to render as an MPEG-2 file and set DVDA up as MPEG-2 format, but why will the avc route not work?

Also for the render formats I can use the following:

MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4
MainConcept AVC/AAC
MainConcept MPEG-2
Sony AVC/MVC

Some render much faster than overs and file sizes will vary, but which would you use for Blu-ray?

I hope someone may enlighten me to what I am doing wrong here and all comments welcome.

Thanks in advance.
BobH
by BobH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic DVDA re-rendering

Posted 07 Nov 2018 09:59 #2
I use the Sony AVC/MVC Blu-ray 1080 22mbps video stream template and DVDA has never needed to recompress my files. But mine are much shorter than yours.
The template is vbr and 22 represents the max. My average bitrate is usually around 18mbps. I note you are using LPCM audio. If you make DVDA convert this to AC3 you will gain considerable disk space.
Last Edit:07 Nov 2018 10:05 by ericlnz

Replied by DoctorZen on topic DVDA re-rendering

Posted 07 Nov 2018 16:19 #3
What is the total length in time for your video ?

When you said "...but then I re-render to produce a Blu-ray disc"
Are you rendering from the original project (raw files are HD 1080 50P and mp4)
OR
Re-rendering the mp4 video you rendered first ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:07 Nov 2018 16:19 by DoctorZen

• BobH
  • BobH's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 23

Replied by BobH on topic DVDA re-rendering

Posted 09 Nov 2018 04:20 #4
Hi again and thank you for your replies.

Doctor Zen,

My main video is just over 1 hour in length, but I also have some bonus videos so the total length is about 2.5 hours.

EricInz,

I used to use the Sony AVC as well and it worked fine. However, having a new, faster pc with a good graphics card I tought I would use the Magix Format, and it is this that has caused the problem.

So over the last day or two I have performed some tests by rendering the same 1 hour video in different formats. Results are here:

Sony AVC/MVC Format using Blu-ray 1920x1080-50i, 18 Mbps video stream template. Here I use the Blu-ray AVC video format. File size 6.75 GB and render time 74 minutes.
This works fine in DVDA without the need to render again.

MainConcept AVC Format using Blu-ray 1920x1080-50i, 18 Mbps video stream template. File size 8.35 GB and render time 105 minutes.
This also works fine in DVDA without re-rendering.

MainConcept MPEG-2 Format using Blu-ray 1920x1080-50i, 18 Mbps video stream template. File size 8.04 GB and render time 55 minutes.
This also works fine in DVDA without re-rendering.

MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 Format using Blu-ray 1920x1080-50i, 18 Mbps video stream template. Here one can use the NV Encoder or the MainConcept AVC encode mode.
Using the MainConcept AVC encode mode, File size is 7.88 GB and encode time 94 minutes.
This works fine in DVDA without re-encoding.

Using the NV Encoder, File size is 7.93 GB and render time 39 minutes.
Here is the problem as in DVDA the video has to be re-encoded. The message is "Media is not compliant with the disc format".

So it appears there is a problem in MAGIX using the NV Encoder when rendering for Blu-ray. I tried this as it was the quickest render time and should give me an .avc file to use in DVDA.

Obviously I have several rendering modes which work, although some take rather longer to complete, but has anyone else tried the NV Encoder and met with the same problem?

All comments most welcome.
BobH
by BobH

Replied by vkmast on topic DVDA re-rendering

Posted 09 Nov 2018 05:10 #5
Search nv encoder + recompress on the Magix Vegas forum. You'll get a few threads.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic DVDA re-rendering

Posted 09 Nov 2018 08:45 #6
The total length in time of all video is the critical piece of in formation.
What is the total file size of all the videos, that you plan to burn to one 25 GB Blu-ray disc ?

When I make Blu-ray discs that contain more than 90 minutes of video, I use this online Bit Rate Calculator to work out which bit rate to use for all of my videos.
This Bit Rate Calculator works only for MPEG-2 rendering.
I have found it to be extremely reliable.
dvd-hq.info/bitrate_calculator.php
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 Dec 2018 08:40 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.752 seconds