VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved I've given up, I need some help with text quality in DVD.

• wonderland
  • wonderland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0

I've given up, I need some help with text quality in DVD. was created by wonderland

Posted 22 Oct 2014 08:40 #1
Hello,

This problem has been puzzling me for over a year, each time I'm creating a DVD menu I try to find a solution to this, but each time I try to find a solution I don't find any relevant information. I was hoping that I will find some help in your forums.

The problem is with text that is typed within DVD architect, button text for example. In DVD architect and DVD architect's preview text looks really nice and sharp but after I finish making disc, and preview it in VLC media player, text that I typed in DVD architect looks bad, blurry.

I've tried many different settings, but nothing seems to solve my problem. I've attached two pictures explaining this problem in more detail, It would be great if you could take a look at them and tell me what you think.

I also added a zip file with both pictures at full size, since you can best see the problem I was talking about, when viewing pictures in full size.
Last Edit:22 Oct 2014 08:43 by wonderland
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic I've given up, I need some help with text quality in DVD.

Posted 03 Nov 2014 19:44 #2
Hi Wonderland

Sorry for the delay in answering your question.
I became completely overwhelmed with questions during the last couple of weeks and had to take a forced break to preserve my sanity.

The problem you are experiencing is called Aliasing.
It is being caused for two reasons.

#1 DVDs only use Standard Definition video at 720x480 pixels. Compared to 1920x1080, there are not as many pixels to create the illusion of sharp edges when the text is running diagonally or shaped round.

#2 Different colour combinations also cause bad aliasing. So when creating DVDs, you need to be very careful with the colours you choose for text areas.

Solutions:

* Choose better colour combinations.
* Adding black or dark colour shadow behind the text will help a lot. If you study bought DVDs made by Hollywood, you will see they use this trick a lot in DVD menus. Inside the DVD Architect controls for Text, you can turn on Shadow and make adjust opacity and size.
* Burn Blu-ray discs instead of DVDs - this will give you much higher resolution and reduce aliasing a lot.

This article explains the science:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing

This video explains anti-aliasing:

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Nov 2014 19:46 by DoctorZen

• wonderland
  • wonderland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by wonderland on topic I've given up, I need some help with text quality in DVD.

Posted 07 Nov 2014 23:44 #3
Hello,

Thank you for looking into this and explaining in great detail. I have a better understanding now.

I was thinking that maybe I did something terribly wrong in DVD architect, maybe some setting that I didn't know of or didn't understand.

But it seems that DVD architect's preview isn't accurate at all then, maybe DVD architect previewed as if it was Blue Ray?

What are some good color combinations? I guess contrasting colors like black on white are bad?
by wonderland

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.747 seconds