VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Possible to Copy a DVD Project to a Blu-ray Project?

• RobWS
  • RobWS's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 7

Possible to Copy a DVD Project to a Blu-ray Project? was created by RobWS

Posted 15 Jan 2023 11:12 #1
Many of my Vegas Pro projects ultimately end up on both DVD and Blu-ray.  I create a DVD project in DVD Architect and spend a significant amount of time getting all of the details in place before burning the project to disc.  Then I need to practically duplicate that finished DVD project but for Blu-ray.  The only way I know to do this is to totally start over with a new Blu-ray project.  All of the time and details that went into the DVD project I do all over again for Blu-ray.  This is very time consuming.  Is there a way to copy any of the DVD project details to the new Blu-ray project?  Thank you.  Rob

by RobWS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Possible to Copy a DVD Project to a Blu-ray Project?

Posted 15 Jan 2023 14:56 #2
Have you tried saving the project under a new name then changing the Project Properties to Blu-ray.  You will need to go through checking everything as there may be adjustments required.

Are your source files HD or SD?  Or are you using different files?

Also which DVDA version are you using?
Last Edit:15 Jan 2023 14:57 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Replied by RobWS on topic Possible to Copy a DVD Project to a Blu-ray Project?

Posted 16 Jan 2023 06:02 #3
DVD Architect version 6.0, Build 84.

I render DVD as MainConcept MPEG-2, DVD Architect NTSC Widescreen video stream, and AC-3 Stereo DVD.
I Render Blu-ray as MainConcept MPEG-2, Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i, 25 Mbps video stream, and Sony Wave64 48,000 Hz 16 Bit Stereo PCM.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that once I complete the DVD project in DVD Architect and try to use the same for the Blu-ray project, with a save as, I would have to delete everything under the menu structure, including the scene selection menus to insert the Blu-ray media.  That would break every link I created in the DVD project.  Inserting the new media, and creating the new scene selections would make any previous structure obsolete.  I would have to delete any scene selection pages and start over.

I hope I'm making my question clear.  I just don't see any way to use the same DVD file for Blu-ray in DVD Architect.

The bottom line here is time and convenience.  If there's a way to do it, great.  Otherwise, I'll continue doing two independent project files for the same Vegas Pro project.

Thanks again for all your time.

by RobWS

Replied by ericlnz on topic Possible to Copy a DVD Project to a Blu-ray Project?

Posted 16 Jan 2023 14:23 #4
You can replace the media in your project.   So with your DVD project copy altered to being a Blu-ray project double click on each thumb to focus on the media.  Then on the right in Media Properties go to Track Media.  There you can change the Video and Audio to your Blu-ray files.  You need to do it for every media item which may be fiddly but it should preserve your navigation and other settings.

Let us know how you get on.
by ericlnz

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Posted 23 Jan 2023 12:29 #5
From the menu bar, File - New opens the New Project dialog box.  This is where we pick the Menu Based options of DVD or Blu-ray disc.  So, if I start with, and complete a DVD project, and then save as a new file to transform to a Blu-ray project, I run into one obvious problem.  DVD Architect is still assuming this will be a DVD project no matter what media I insert and manipulate.  The tool bar still shows Make DVD, not Make Blu-ray.  The Review Message List, after clicking Make DVD, shows the Estimated Project Size well exceeding the media capacity.  Clicking Optimize, and then Project Properties reveals the Disc Format (on the Disc Properties tab) to be DVD and is grayed-out.   No changes can be make to convert a DVD project to a Blu-ray project at any point.

The one somewhat time saver I have used with these dual media projects is to open the completed DVD project on one screen, and open the new Blu-ray project on my second screen.  Using the original as a guide, I can build up the Blu-ray project based on all of the position and menu settings of the completed DVD project.  It's doing one task two times, but is still quicker than having nothing to go by.  I'll keep using this method.  In the end, I still get the finished products.
by RobWS

Posted 23 Jan 2023 13:21 #6

DVD Architect is still assuming this will be a DVD project no matter what media I insert and manipulate.  The tool bar still shows Make DVD, not Make Blu-ray.

After opening your DVD file which is now to become Blu-ray you need to go into File/Properties and in the Project Properties alter the Disc format to Blu-ray Disc.

At least this works for me in DVDA7.  Maybe your older DVDA version is different.
by ericlnz

• RobWS
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3

Posted 24 Jan 2023 09:28 #7
This is worth a look.  But as you say, there may be a version difference.  We shall see.  Thanks for your input.
Last Edit:28 Feb 2023 17:32 by RobWS

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.805 seconds