VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Blu-Ray takes forever to burn.

Blu-Ray takes forever to burn. was created by Tauseef

Posted 25 Sep 2015 00:43 #1
Hi
I'm very new at DVD Architect and Vegas, so I don't understand much of the terminology used.
I shot a video with my DSLR at 1080P and edited it in Vegas Pro 13. Rendered it as MPEG-2 and AC3 Files. Everything went smoothly, thanx to Zen Studio help videos on YouTube. Now that I'm trying to burn a Blu-Ray with DVD Architect 6, its taking forever.
I have two M2V clips of average 60 minutes each. I have menu and chapters. Its been almost 15 hours that my PC is working on it and apparently its another over 28 hours to go.
Am I doing something wrong that its taking so long or there are ways you can write a blu-ray faster?
Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated.
Last Edit:03 Oct 2015 01:40 by Tauseef

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Tauseef on topic Blu-Ray takes forever to burn.

Posted 25 Sep 2015 10:58 #2
Now that the blu-ray is finally done, when I played it, it does't have any audio.
When I play as preview in DVD Architect, I hear proper audio. When I play this BD on TV, there is nothing but silence.
Can I also get some help with what happened here?

Looking forward to a solution to both the problems.
by Tauseef

Replied by TreeTops on topic Blu-Ray takes forever to burn.

Posted 25 Sep 2015 11:05 #3
I'm pretty sure that your audio codec AC3 is not part of the BlueRay spec for MPEG-2 so it's trying to render it all over again to DTS or some other blueray audio codec. Also 1080p60 is not supported so it has to render the video again also if you used that. There may also be other issues.

Posted 25 Sep 2015 11:11 #4
Thank you for your reply, but shouldn't it show some error message in DVD-Architect while previewing? or at least not play the sound, telling me that the audio format is somehow not supported.

In any case, if 60i is re-rendered, what format should I render my video file in Vegas Pro 13, as I shot at 1080p, 30fps (North America)?

Any help is appreciated.
by Tauseef

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Blu-Ray takes forever to burn.

Posted 25 Sep 2015 15:48 #5
Hi Tauseef

Burning a Blu-ray disc or DVD with DVD Architect Pro 6, should only take 5 to 15 minutes if you have pre-rendered your Video and Audio tracks correctly with Vegas Pro 13. When pre-rendered correctly, the video and audio are burnt directly to the disc. As Tree Tops has suggested, DVD Architect has had to re-render your project, which is why it took so long. The extremely long render time would also indicate that you may not have set your Project Properties correctly in DVD Architect Pro. Which would mean your entire project was re-rendered by DVD Architect - DVDA is not the best place for rendering - Vegas Pro does a much better and faster job.

I have a tutorial here which explains all the steps for rendering video for Blu-ray and burning a disc.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/dvd-architect-studio-50/532-how-to-render-video-dvd-bluray-menus-sony-vegas-pro

Step 7 in the above tutorial, shows the recommended templates for Blu-ray video.
If you original video is 1080-30p, the best template to use is MPEG2 Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i, 25Mbps video stream.
You can render to Dolby Digital Pro AC-3, however the best Audio format for Blu-ray is Sony Wave64 48,000 Hz, 24 Bit, PCM.

In Step 9, the second screen shot shows the Project Properties you should have used for your DVD Architect Pro project.
In DVD Architect, go to File/Properties to check.
My guess is that when you check this, you probably did not set the Frame Rate properly, which would have caused the re-render and extremely long preparation time.
After you check this and change any settings, I suggest you re-save the Project using a different name, so that any new files created do not get mixed up with your first attempt.

After you check all these settings and possibly re-render your videos with Vegas Pro, you may need to look at the total file size of BOTH your videos. If they are both 60 minutes, the total file size for the project may exceed 25GBs. So add up the file size of both videos and both audio tracks. If they end up being exceeding 25GBs in total file size, you will have to re-render the videos using Custom Bit Rates to reduce size. If this happens, I can help you with more detailed instructions.

Also check this setting in DVD Architect Pro.
Go to Options/Preferences/Preview and make sure Aspect Ratio is set to 16:9
Beginners often don't know about this and leave it set to older 4:3 ratio which no one uses today.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Sep 2015 15:54 by DoctorZen

Posted 25 Sep 2015 23:18 #6
First of all, thank you TreeTop for your reply, as it was pretty much correct. The issue was audio files. I rendered project in SV13 as 5.1 Surround AC3 files whereas it doesn't work with DVD-A. I changed the project properties in DVD-A to AC3 Stereo and ran the process again. It still took a little over 4 hours to re-render the files and burn a Blu-Ray disk. This time the audio worked.

And Derek, Thank you so very much for your detailed reply. I am going to do the whole project yet again, and I am sure I will fix my errors from point A to Z in this project.

However, I must mention a couple of things here that I did my project in 1920x800. I love the ciné style ultra wide screen appearance. Even though I shot it in 1920x1080 (uncompressed) with my DSLR, I changed the project properties in SV13 to make it appear to my desired look. In DVD-A, I couldn't find any option to change the project properties to 1920x800, so I went with 1920x1080. Apparently it did the job. My final video has black bars on top and bottom.

One thing I should also mention here - When I rendered the project and copied it on a USB drive to play on TV, it looked great. After burning on to a Blu-Ray, I find that the colors are much more saturated. Is that normal, or its me again? I liked the original look (USB) better!

Your reply is truly appreciated.
by Tauseef

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Blu-Ray takes forever to burn.

Posted 26 Sep 2015 11:03 #7
Surround Sound and Bit Rates
5.1 Surround Sound is supported by Blu-ray when using DVD Architect Pro 6.
The only time people normally have a problem with this, is when they are using DVD Architect Studio, which does not support 5.1 Surround on Blu-ray.

Here is a screen shot showing 5.1 Surround settings in DVDA for Blu-ray.
Make sure you did not change the Bit Rate setting in DVDA. When you have pre-rendered video using Vegas Pro, it is important to not change this setting. The Bit Rate you used to render with will be used instead of this setting, however if you change this, it will re-render the project.

Burn Speed
I haven't made a Blu-ray disc for a while, so forgot something in my first reply. Blu-ray can take a lot longer to Burn, due to much slower burn rate speeds.
The speed at which a Blu-ray disc will burn can vary from one computer to another, due to the actual Blu-ray drive you are using and the type of Blu-ray disc you used. The last time I burned a batch of Blu-ray discs, I think I remember it could only burn at 2x speed. So for a 2 hour project, that would take 1 hour to burn.

Cinema Style Widescreen
Setting Vegas Pro to 1920x800 explains a lot.
Don't ever set your Project Properties in Vegas Pro to these settings, when making a disc and most other projects. The only time you can get away with this method, is if you upload videos to Vimeo. Everyone else needs a proper 1920x1080 16:9 Aspect Ratio outside Frame Size. It is OK to change things inside of the Frame.

The correct way to do this is to use normal 1920x1080 settings, but use something like Event Pan/Crop to create the Cinema Style Widescreen.
There are many different methods you can use, however Event Pan/Crop is the simplest for most people. The best time to do this is at the beginning of a project before you start cutting video into smaller segments.

#1. Press Event Pan/Crop button in bottom right corner of video (extreme right).
#2. (extreme left) Turn both these settings OFF.
#3. Change Height to 800px.
#4. You can now save this as a Custom Template - create name in Preset field and then press Save icon. Now when you press Event Pan/Crop in next video on timeline, you can simply select your new Cinema Style Preset/Crop.

Colour Shift
I can't explain difference between colour of USB and Blu-ray.
Your Blu-ray player maybe applying some different processing that affects colour, compared to raw video that comes out of USB drive.

What I can explain is Colour Correction and Broadcast Safe Colours.
Different Video Codecs/Formats use different types of compression, so you may see a difference in the colour of videos saved to different formats.
Adding Colour Correction and making sure your videos are Broadcast Safe, normally fixed the problem of everything looking over saturated and too contrasty.

I have an in-depth tutorial on this topic here which is a good idea to read and watch.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/526-colour-correction-tools-sony-vegas-pro

If you want to use a very quick method of controlling colour output, press the Video Output FX button above the Preview Window and then open Sony folder and apply Levels. From the presets, select Computer RGB to Studio RGB. Then re-render your project. This applies a general reduction in colour to the entire project, which makes it look more natural when played on a TV.

OK
Now I need a cup of tea and a lie down after all that :rolleyes:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Posted 28 Sep 2015 04:52 #8
Thank you very much for such a detailed reply, after which you definitely need not only tea but some cookies as well!

I will keep on trying to apply the tips and tricks you told me about, until I get it right.

Until my further quarries I will let you enjoy your tea :wink:

But honestly I'm really thankful to you for taking so much of your time and explaining me things. Very few people would do that with no interest of their's.

Kind regards
Last Edit:28 Sep 2015 04:53 by Tauseef
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.982 seconds