VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Video Preview as Menu Background Media...?

Video Preview as Menu Background Media...? was created by matthew0725

Posted 26 Jan 2016 22:09 #1
Several years ago, I made a DVD for our daughter (that we still watch to this day) of clips of her with our dog. I believe I made it with Windows DVD Maker, as I didn't have any purchased DVD software, and most computers come pre-equipped with that software... On that DVD, the Menu background is actually short preview clips from random scenes throughout the DVD. I don't recall how I did this (as I mentioned, it was several years ago), but I am pretty sure it wasn't even an option that I selected, but rather was an automatic feature. Regardless of how it was done or whether it was automatic, I have always really liked that feature of the DVD (which she watched quite frequently for the first year after I made it for her). I am trying to find a way to do that within DVD Architect Studio, but can't find a way to do it without actually creating a video and choosing it as the background media. Surely there must be a way to do something similar in this advanced DVD software that the old generic software was capable of years ago?!

Any pointers?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Video Preview as Menu Background Media...?

Posted 28 Jan 2016 02:12 #2
Hi Matthew

You have already answered your own question.

You need to set a video to use as your background media, by right-clicking the Menu screen and selecting Set Background Media and then selecting a pre-prepared video clip. I normally edit a small 10 - 30 second video in preparation for this.

There is no other way to do this. DVD Architect is designed to give you absolute control over what is shown and not some random part of a video that may not be suitable.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, matthew0725

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Video Preview as Menu Background Media...?

Posted 28 Jan 2016 03:41 #3
Hi Matthew,

I certainly understand the advantage of using an option as you described in your previous program, it is simple and quick. Everyone produces differently, this is my approach......

Although it would depend a lot on the original video that was playing in the background, I have found most of the time, the original is far too distracting. Of course how many menu items were displayed and their size, a few being simple, or many being clutter, would also have an effect as to the value of a video playing in the background.

As Derek stated, "DVD Architect is designed to give you absolute control over what is shown and not some random part of a video that may not be suitable", I have found this to be very true for my applications.

I like the ability to choose the scenes and the length of the scene, I put into a loop, and how long the loop will be for the background. Also, the ability to then change the effect of the background loop can enhance the blend of the menu items against the background. Sometimes applying FX to the background video makes surprisingly pleasant results, such as slow motion, a color tint, using B&W or sepia tone. These are some of the controls, which offer the ability to apply a presentation not usually available through any other means other than taking the time to add special touches to a pre-prepared video clip, making the DVD unique.

I also like to use still photos, taken as B-shots, during the filming of the main event. These are taken in a higher resolution than the video and then allow a very subtle pan (using Pan&Crop or Track Motion). Especially if I am going to animate the video within the menu option button.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: matthew0725

Replied by matthew0725 on topic Video Preview as Menu Background Media...?

Posted 01 Feb 2016 14:46 #4
Thank you to both of you... I DID like the idea that when I made the video several years back, it seemed to have randomly selected some small snippets of the movie that play on a loop as the background, but I can completely understand - and agree with - the idea that DVD Architect gives you total control over whats happening, not some random chunks of the film. I appreciate the tips!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.818 seconds