VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to save 12 gig video (7 seperate clips) to DVD using DVD Architect

I made a video of our new pastor inaugural ceremony and it is about 12 gigs in size. I have separated it into 7 clips. I can only put 4 gigs on a disk so my question is will I be able to make the project so it will ask for another disk when the first one runs out of space?
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
by D4Stone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi D4Stone

The program cannot automatically split a project up into sections for you. You need to work this out manually yourself, which is not that difficult to do.

What is the total length in time of all your videos ? This is the most important piece of information I need and then I can give you specific info.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Attached the clips I want to save to DVD
by D4Stone
Attachments:

I am guessing that all your original video clips have been recorded in HD (high definition) video, which is why the file sizes are so large ?

Please note that DVD only saves to SD (standard definition) video, so your videos are going to look a lot lower in resolution than the original HD videos. You really should be making Blu-ray discs, which do support full HD 1080 and HD 720 video.

If you can only make DVDs, then 84 minutes of video will comfortably fit on a single DVD, because it will only be SD video.
You can either burn a DVD direct from the Movie Studio timeline or use DVD Architect as well to add a Menu Screen.
How to Burn a DVD or Blu-ray Disc using Sony Movie Studio Platinum
or
How to Render Video for DVD/Blu-ray with Menus using Sony Movie Studio Platinum

Regards
Derek

p.s. Thanks for the picture that was posted sideways :side:
I got a good neck crack out of that and feel much better now :cheer:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:28 Feb 2016 16:31 by DoctorZen

Thanks for the info Derek. Sorry about the sideways photo, I assumed you could rotate it on screen. Regarding Blu-Ray, I have a standard DVD-RW drive. Do I need to buy a drive that records BluRay and do I need special disks to record to? I do shoot in HD and want the best quality I can get. Sorry for the seemingly basic questions but I am 80 years Old and technology has passed me by in a lot of areas. I have produced videos using your tutorials and believe me I would not have been able to do it without that help. I watch the video on one screen and do the work on another screen. Your tutorials are step by step the best I have found and you are to be complimented on your work. Thank you again, you are the best
by D4Stone

You have nothing to apologize for !
I highly recommend upgrading your drive and you can easily to do this yourself :cheer:
If you prefer not to do this yourself, any computer store would be able to do this for you, however they will charge a lot more than doing it on your own.

If your computer is not a really old dinosaur model, you should be able to easily upgrade your optical drive to a Blu-ray/DVD combo writer.
You can buy a Blu-ray drive online and simply swap the old drive for the new drive.
All DVD/Blu-ray drives have the same dimensions at the front on a Desktop computer, so all different brands will be compatible.

When you open the computer case (please turn power off first), the first thing you will probably want to do is vacuum all the dust out it!
Next you need to see what type of connections your DVD drive is using - this is critical before proceeding any further.
I have another message I wrote on the forum, which has instructions for this here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/general-computer-hardware/718-blue-ray-player-writer#2834

When it is time to remove the old drive, you should find 2 or 4 screws at the sides of the drive that are holding it in place. Unscrew these first and then unplug the power cable and SATA cable that connect at the back of drive.

The drive will now slide out from the front of PC.
Slide new drive in and re-connect both cables.
Put the screws back in.
Put the case back on computer and boot up.
Go to My Computer or Computer or This PC and now you should see the Blu-ray drive listed as one of the drives.

You may find that the Blu-ray player comes with it's own software to use as a media player - check this first.
If it doesn't, you will also need to buy some extra software to playback actual Blu-ray discs in the computer.
Windows Media Player only allows playback of DVDs.
I recommend Cyberlink Power DVD, which is a high quality Media Player - this is what I use myself.
It comes in different versions - I use the Ultra package.
www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd-family/introduction_en_AU.html

Don't hesitate to ask for more help with this if needed.
I you can tell me which country you live in, I can recommend an online store to buy a Blu-ray drive from.

Derek.
Last Edit:29 Feb 2016 16:10 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: D4Stone

Thanks Derek,
I did my research today and I purchased a Samsung External Blu-Ray drive.
Samsung External Blu-ray Writer TSST SE-506CB/RSBD 6X USB 2.0 Slim (Black), M-Disc support. Don't know if it is regional locked but I suspect it is. I will now redo all my clips that I need in HD so I can make them in Blu-Ray. I got a free pack of 10 discs with it too. I'll let you know how this turns out. I may have to buy Power DVD 15 but if it works with version 12, I have it already.
Take care of yourself.
Don
by D4Stone

If your Samsung Blu-ray Writer came with Blu-ray Media Player software like Cyberlink Power DVD, that will ask which region you want to set the player to, the first time you actually play a DVD or Blu-ray with the external player. Normally they allow you to change this 5x times before it is locked forever. However, there is also software you can download which does a hack and allows you to reset the Region Code over and over again.

If your computer has USB 3.0 ports (blue inside), make sure to connect the Samsung Blu-ray Writer to these ports and not USB 2.0
USB 3.0 is about 10x times faster connection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: D4Stone

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.992 seconds