VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Request to add chapter or scene point

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

Request to add chapter or scene point was created by Peter

Posted 13 May 2016 12:16 #1
Hi to all,

Strange request arose last evening whilst preparing a video to be burnt to a DVD using DVDA 5.0.
The video had been prepared (a 60p 1980*1020 rendered down to correct DVD specs) - video and audio files etc etc.
Introduced to DVDA - No menus required or generated!
Prepared and burnt very nicely - DVD result as wished for.
My wife looked at it - and instantly asked for a second copy for a friend.
OK - back down to the computer and opened DVDA again and brought in the same file as before.
Now this time, the program prepared the disc (as before) and then indicated that I needed to add a chapter / scene point between 19 and 26 minute point.
What!
Pressed the cancel button - and the result was that the program aborted.
OK - tried again and obtained the same message.
So this time I obliged and just placed a chapter point at 22 min mark.
The program then continued as happy as Larry and burnt my DVD.
Checking the original video file just in case there was some loop, marker or "thing" that should not be there - indicated absolutely nothing.
Checked the rendered video - same thing.

For some reason, was DVDA picking up the fact that for the rendering the original video it was passed twice (for quality)? - but can't imagine that.

There was no need to re-compress to prepare the DVD, the optimisation was done but seeing as the file was only 2+ gigabytes in size - no problems there either.
Strange that no request was made for the first burn, then using the same file - then a request for a "useless" chapter point insertion was required for the second.
burn.

One point - which button does one press for a new project to generate a DVD with one video file without menus? Music or video compilation or Single movie. In my case since the video consisted of one file, the latter was used.

I presume that the compilation button could be chosen without prejudice even if only one video file was placed into the project. I as out of curiosity.

Anyway - has any other person come across the above? and I would be grateful for any explanation of why it has occurred.

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Last Edit:24 May 2016 18:34 by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Request to add chapter or scene point

Posted 14 May 2016 03:01 #2
Hi Peter,

I have not experienced this, so my response will be guessing. My first guess is, something has changed, and this change has made the difference. However this change may not have been caused by anything you did directly.

You have a DVD Architect compliant rendered video and audio file. To make a duplicate it seems to me there would not be much difference from loading the previous DVDA project, or starting from scratch with a new 'Single Movie' project. But it should work either way. Like yourself, if it didn't ask for a marker on the first burn, I wouldn't expect it to ask on the second burn and especially would not expect it to recommend placing a marker between the 19 and 26 minute mark!

To my knowledge when DVDA ask for a marker, it is to split a video source that is too large for one layer of a dual layer disc. Where a dual layer DVD disc can hold about twice as much as a single layer 4.7 Gb -vs- something like 8.7 Gb. Regardless, and again, the surprise seems to be it didn't ask for the marker the first time, but did the second time (I assume you are using the same blank disc type).

However, if there was something in the disc, perhaps a flaw, which DVDA sensed reduced the size available which would have to be less than the normal blank disk 4.7 Gb, perhaps that presented the message. I doubt it, but maybe.

I would start with resetting DVD Architect Studio. From the desktop, while holding down Shift+Crtl, double left click on the DVDA desktop icon shortcut. A pop-up appears, release the Shift+Ctrl keys. Check the box left of 'Delete all cached application data', then left click on 'Yes'. This will set DVDA to factory installed defaults and remove all cached data, which part of may be causing the behavior you have experienced.

Then I would grab a different fresh blank disc. Beings how you are not using menus and just a single movie, I would just start with a fresh 'Single Movie' project. If that works, out of curiosity I may then load the original DVDA project (if you saved it) and try to burn it to detect if you get the same 'request for marker' message.

Another option would be to use another program to burn DVD disc. ImgBurn, is free to download, and many use it. But I don't see any great downside of using DVDA even for single movies, of course providing it isn't giving some type of error message that doesn't make sense. If you are interested in the ImgBurn program, this might be a good place to download it. When installing pay attention, as it will ask to add some things you don't need, just decline those options and everything should install clean. FileHippo ImgBurn ver 2.5.7.0

Peter wrote: The program then continued as happy as Larry and burnt my DVD.

Have you played that DVD through to the end to assure it plays without issue?

Peter wrote: For some reason, was DVDA picking up the fact that for the rendering the original video it was passed twice (for quality)? - but can't imagine that.

I agree, that would/should not make any difference.

Peter wrote: One point - which button does one press for a new project to generate a DVD with one video file without menus? Music or video compilation or Single movie. In my case since the video consisted of one file, the latter was used.

Correct, 'Single Movie'.

Hopefully, other members who have more experience with DVD Architect Studio may have additional information. I use DVDA Studio 5.0 and DVDA Pro 6.0, but I just haven't run into anything strange.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter, vkmast

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic Request to add chapter or scene point

Posted 14 May 2016 12:10 #3
Hi George,

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

I have saved the original materials and will proceed with an investigation - The DVDs performed perfectly well on several players and the individuals who received the discs also informed me that all was well at their end.
What I did not mention was that three discs were burnt - the first with no indication of AI requesting action from the human! the second and third both required the placement of the chapter marker.
I have two separate bundles of DVDs - purchased at different times, so will try again using an example from each. Also have a pack of DVD-RW's as well - so will see what happens there.
Just to note - the DVDs are "Memorex +R!

But one point that may give a direction - it did state something on the lines of "2nd video" - but seeing as the whole thing was one unit without division - that I did not take much notice at the time. Esp. as the total file size was less than 50% of the disc maximum.
Anyway - the weekend will most prob. allow time to investigate further.

Regards,
Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by vkmast on topic Request to add chapter or scene point

Posted 14 May 2016 18:51 #4

Peter wrote: Anyway - has any other person come across the above? and I would be grateful for any explanation of why it has occurred.

Eagle Six wrote: To my knowledge when DVDA ask for a marker, it is to split a video source that is too large for one layer of a dual layer disc. Where a dual layer DVD disc can hold about twice as much as a single layer 4.7 Gb -vs- something like 8.7 Gb. Regardless, and again, the surprise seems to be it didn't ask for the marker the first time, but did the second time (I assume you are using the same blank disc type).
However, if there was something in the disc, perhaps a flaw, which DVDA sensed reduced the size available which would have to be less than the normal blank disk 4.7 Gb, perhaps that presented the message. I doubt it, but maybe.
---
I would start with resetting DVD Architect Studio.
---
Then I would grab a different fresh blank disc.

I agree with Eagle Six. I don't recall having come across this request or reading about it unless there is a DVD DL (DVD-9) disc involved.

cf. DVD A Studio Help:

"Error - Need a scene/chapter marker
The title does not contain a scene/chapter marker that can be used as a layer break point.
Please add a scene/chapter marker within the specified range and then use the Make DVD Wizard to prepare your project again and burn your DVD.
"
And
"Review the message list:
A project that presents warnings will still produce a valid DVD.
Errors will cause an invalid DVD and must be resolved before preparing your project.
"

Peter wrote: I have two separate bundles of DVDs - purchased at different times, so will try again using an example from each. Also have a pack of DVD-RW's as well - so will see what happens there.
Just to note - the DVDs are "Memorex +R!
But one point that may give a direction - it did state something on the lines of "2nd video" - but seeing as the whole thing was one unit without division - that I did not take much notice at the time. Esp. as the total file size was less than 50% of the disc maximum.
Anyway - the weekend will most prob. allow time to investigate further.

I'm sure you eliminated the possibility of accidentally using a DVD DL, so please investigate if time allows and let us know if you do find out something. And note a possible warning or error message. They do have a purpose.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter, Eagle Six

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 15 May 2016 12:10 #5
Hi vkmast.
No to a DVD DL - never seen one! Everything arrives on the Island via the Confederation bridge and since there is a load limit - double layers will no doubt surpass.

And note a possible warning or error message. They do have a purpose.
The above taken to heart.
- It's why I thought of questioning here - can't see why it came up - but must be a reason.
by Peter

Posted 15 May 2016 20:28 #6
Peter,
OK and thanks, even though I think a single-layer dvd blank and a double-layer one are both actually about the same weight, the final weight depending on the packaging of course :)
For those who need to check various info about dvd/bd device features and media, there are free tools available, e.g. VSO inspector and DVD Identifier.
Btw, a great link (12.9 kilometres long!) to your whereabouts. Looks like a classic place indeed!
Last Edit:15 May 2016 21:52 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 16 May 2016 09:18 #7
Report!

Seemed to have solved the situation - but still seems a little strange.
Opened up the original material, re rendered with identical format as previous = same error message occurred. Did try a prepare on several discs (+R and RW).

So, on a wing, grouped up all the clips (splits) of the project into one unified video.
Re rendered again and voila, no error. Tried it twice on +R and RW.
Not being a technical guy who is capable of delving into finer points of background file construction - no point me going any further.

So - resolved!

One question that peeks my interest - When info is requested to illicit a problem, a common request is to send the .vf file for examination - usually with the proviso of "don't worry, I can't see your project".
So - what is gained from having a peek into that file that helps sort out problems?

vkmast - travelling over to the mainland is a treat but always tempered by having to fork out nearly $50 for the privilege! At least the toll personnel smile during the debit procedure and during a blizzard it's a wild drive!
On with the next project

Peter
by Peter

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Request to add chapter or scene point

Posted 16 May 2016 11:33 #8

Peter wrote: So, on a wing, grouped up all the clips (splits) of the project into one unified video.
Not being a technical guy who is capable of delving into finer points of background file construction - no point me going any further.

So - resolved!

Good to hear you have success. Sometimes the effort trying to research an issue, isn't worth the effort and we just need to go on down the road to success and leave the failure behind. Although, I do know how you feel. When I have to cut my loses, it often still bothers me that I didn't get an explanation.

Peter wrote: One question that peeks my interest - When info is requested to illicit a problem, a common request is to send the .vf file for examination - usually with the proviso of "don't worry, I can't see your project".
So - what is gained from having a peek into that file that helps sort out problems?

From my perspective, it allows looking at the various tracks in the timeline and what has been placed on the tracks, and how some effect, such as Track Motion, have been used, without necessarily having the source media. And, the original source media files can be substituted with other media in some cases.

By just transmitting the project .vf file, the size of upload/download is kept to a minimum. Some folks are also hesitant to share the source media, for various reasons, one which could be a copyright, exclusive, or protected source issue. Not every question can be answered by looking at a project .vf file, but it often can help diagnose an issue.
Best Regards......George

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 16 May 2016 11:44 #9
Hi George,

In the recent past - having a spare moment, I did try and open one of my own .vf files - but failed. How does one get it to split the beans.

Peter
by Peter

Posted 16 May 2016 21:46 #10

Peter wrote: Report!
Seemed to have solved the situation - but still seems a little strange.
Opened up the original material, re rendered with identical format as previous = same error message occurred. Did try a prepare on several discs (+R and RW).
So, on a wing, grouped up all the clips (splits) of the project into one unified video.
So - resolved!---

Seems very strange to me... Actually I do not understand at all :)

Peter wrote: One question that peeks my interest - When info is requested to elicit a problem, a common request is to send the .vf file for examination - usually with the proviso of "don't worry, I can't see your project".

As George says, though a .vf file is only the project file (i.e. it contains only the instructions necessary for the project if media is not copied and saved with the project), it may help diagnose. I wonder if VMSP timeline screenshots would help (me too re what you did...) understand. Maybe not worth the bother though at this stage.

Peter wrote: In the recent past - having a spare moment, I did try and open one of my own .vf files - but failed. How does one get it to split the beans.

You really should be able to open your .vf files from the same and older versions. I seem to remember some file association problems with the early builds of at least ver 12. Ver 11 had a lot of updates/new builds with a lot of bug fixes in its time as well. Be sure to use the latest build of the version you use (for VMSP 11, build 322).

Peter wrote: vkmast - travelling over to the mainland is a treat but always tempered by having to fork out nearly $50 for the privilege! At least the toll personnel smile during the debit procedure and during a blizzard it's a wild drive!

There's our longest mainland to island bridge (1 km...) not too far from where I live. If certain weather criteria comes true, the system can deny driving on the bridge. That has happened from time to time, so I can imagine your wild drives during blizzards! On the plus side, we do not have the toll (as yet...) or smiles (that's a minus)!
Last Edit:16 May 2016 21:48 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.788 seconds