VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved What is a good Tripod for $100

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

What is a good Tripod for $100 was created by Peter

Posted 08 Jan 2017 13:05 #1
Ok,
My cheap tripod came to the end of its life this afternoon - the plastic cracked in the low temps (-12c) and the leg detached!
Smile at the request, but has anybody got a lead / recommendation for a tripod costing about $100. Lightweight / compact as it will be required to be carried around in the wilds. Have read about fluid heads (mostly out of my price range) that won't work in the cold due to oil becoming too viscous.
Ability to lock to pan horizontally vital.
Appreciate any advice!

Regards,

Peter
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 22:59 by Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic What is a good Tripod for $100

Posted 09 Jan 2017 03:18 #2
+ 1

Hi Peter,

This isn't an answer to your question, rather I would also be interested in any recommendation of members. Due to an unexpected project I'm envolved with I also have a need for a light, sturdy tripod. Everything I have is heavy. Although I would like the $100 price range, it's probably going to be tough to get something light (carbon sticks), yet a head that is fluid enough for panning, so I may be able to strecth that budget.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 22:59 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic What is a good Tripod for $100

Posted 09 Jan 2017 04:30 #3
Hi George,

One would think a simple search on the net would throw up a few leaders - but that just resulted in confusion.
Carbon legs - nice and light - but maybe Mg/Al would be ok.
It is the connections that have me hesitating - plastic becomes too fragile in the cold.
The main requirement is ease of portability (weight), followed by ruggedness. The rest being a tripod with normal characteristics (stable with a 1.5kg max, camera, clean panning).
Not looking for something that will last for decades - but one that works.
Got to be some out there who are pleased with what they are using.

regards,
Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic What is a good Tripod for $100

Posted 09 Jan 2017 05:18 #4
I just purchased a BENRO Aero 4 'Travel Video Tripod Kit' at a local camera store in Orlando for $279.99. That was a LOT more than I wanted to spend but was cheaper than the comparable Manfrotto. It's my first tripod with a fluid head for video cameras that provides smooth panning. It has a nice ball joint adjustable head with a built in bubble level but now that I have it I discovered the bubble level is almost impossible to see at night, even with a flashlight. In hindsight I wish I have spent the little extra to get the one model up that has a lighted bubble level incorporated . I does fold up quite compact and comes with a nice carrying bag. You can do a search and find some videos on YouTube about it.
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 22:59 by MrGrunthunter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter, Eagle Six

Replied by DoctorZen on topic What is a good Tripod for $100

Posted 09 Jan 2017 11:32 #5
If you want a decent Tripod, you really need to increase your budget to at least $300 for Sticks and Head.

I have 2 tripods at the moment.
My original less than $100 Velbon Videomate CX480 video tripod and a more than $300 Benro A2980F camera tripod with ball head.
My $100 tripod is over 13 years old and I am still using it today. You can no longer buy this model, however the almost equivalent model is Videomate 538.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/894985-REG/Velbon_videomate_538_f_Standard_Aluminum_Tripod_3_Sec_Legs.html

I have found that good eBay stores (with high feedback scores) often sell camera gear much cheaper than a bricks and mortar store, so if you want best bang for your buck, make sure to check out eBay.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 22:59 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter, Eagle Six

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 10 Jan 2017 13:43 #6
Hi MrGrunthunter, Derek,
Thank you for the feed back.
I realise that the dollar amount I stated is restrictive - but that is life!
Your link Derek, was an interesting read - it's not easy to find things at times.
Interestingly the price quoted for the tripod via. the Us was approx. $100 but direct from Canada - $500!
Seen it before, where silly prices are placed.

Anyway - not going out needing a tripod for the next few weeks - 50+ cm of snow last night put a damper on that thought. Anybody wanting snowman kits, free for the taking.
Regards,

Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 15 Jan 2017 11:14 #7
Ok Guys,

What do you think about this:

www.amazon.com/Leica-757938-Tripod-DISTO-products/dp/B001SN77I6/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1484437816&sr=1-1&keywords=leica+tripod+100
The only thing that I cannot sort out - if it pans or not.

Regards,

Peter
by Peter

Posted 16 Jan 2017 03:11 #8

Peter wrote: The only thing that I cannot sort out - if it pans or not.

Hi Peter,

Looking at the head it is apparent the head will both tilt and pan. I seriously doubt it will pan smoothly enough for video pans, at least not out of the box. However, with some lubrication and using a rubber band, it might be good enough for your purpose. Reading all the reviews and Q&A, it appears a lot of buyers purchased it for their cameras, but none mention anything about camcorders or shooting video.

Even if your get it to work satisfactory with lubrication and a rubber band, if you are going to use it a lot during colder temperatures, which challenge even fluid heads, it may not work out well, unless you can keep it in a warm compartment such as a heated tent or vehicle just prior to use. Those are my thoughts.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 16 Jan 2017 04:18 #9
Hi George,

Did read up from several Leica sources where individuals have used the tripod for video.
Again, for whatever reason, most prices quoted in $Can are inflated compared to either Sterling or $US.
If it is rugged, relatively light and simple - I might go for it.
Panning - as long as I am able to pan horizontally, the need to have perfect flow is not important, as long as it doesn't judder. according to reviews the movement is clean and does not stick.
Now - re: the cold.
Most probably going to be my last Canadian winter since we are moving back to the UK. Replacing snow and ice with rain and mud. At least the temperatures will be above zero for most of the year. Hey, no mosquitoes either!

Regards,

Peter
by Peter

Posted 16 Jan 2017 05:37 #10

Peter wrote: Hey, no mosquitoes either!

That seems like a very good thing!

Good Luck on your move and hope you will report your findings about the tripod purchase.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.797 seconds