VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Best places to buy used video cameras

Best places to buy used video cameras was created by Weaver Video Productions

Posted 03 Oct 2014 13:54 #1
Hey Derek. I'm looking at purchasing a used video camera because they basically keep making the same video cameras just newer models. Is buying a used video camera a bad idea? If not, what is the best place to buy a used video camera for a good deal?

Is Amazon.com or eBay a good place for buying a used video camera? I see you have the Canon Vixia HF S200. What year was that model made? And is the Canon Vixia HF S20 any different? What are your suggestions? Let me know in the comment section below.
PC SPECS:
Intel i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
16GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (2GB)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

EDITING:
Vegas Pro 12
DVD Architect Pro 6
Sound Forge Pro 11
HitFilm 2 Ultimate

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:
Canon Vixia HF S20
Sony HDR-CX110

AUDIO:
ZOOM H1
Rode VideoMic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Best places to buy used video cameras

Posted 03 Oct 2014 20:14 #2
I thought you were going to get a DSLR camera ?
There are plenty of good deals for DSLR's.

I don't have all the answers to all your questions.
eBay is the best place for 2nd hand items.

You can look up many older Canon Video Camera models from this page.
www.usa.canon.com/cusa/categorySiteMap.action?pageKeyCode=categorySiteMap&nodeCid=0901e02480069f82&expanded=true
I bought this camera in 2010.
At the time, this was a high end consumer HD Video camera. It still is a great video camera and I can see myself using it for many years to come - especially for vlogging and family stuff.
The main reason I went for this model is because it did NOT have any internal memory. This makes the price of video cameras a lot cheaper. There were more expensive models in the range, at the time I bought this. However the core functions and sensor type in my camera was the same as others - so I got the cheaper model.
Instead it comes with 2x SDHC memory card slots. I much prefer recording to SDHC cards instead of internal memory. They are easy to swap out and replace.

Choosing the right camera for your needs is only something you can do.
Once you have a short list, watch as many reviews on YouTube as you can for all the different models and types of cameras.
Eventually you will have to start with something.
I still think a Canon T4i, T5i, 60D or 70D is a great all round camera for learning how to shoot video and stills.
B)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Oct 2015 20:13 by DoctorZen

Replied by Weaver Video Productions on topic Best places to buy used video cameras

Posted 05 Oct 2014 16:25 #3
I was going to get a DSLR but I changed my mind because DSLRs only give you limited time to record video when camcorders can record hours and hours of video. I shoot a lot of events so I think a camcorder would work best for me. I think DSLRs are better for making short-films, music videos, and short clips not for shooting events.

I know there are a lot of videographers that use DSLRs for shooting events. But I've never really used or touch a DSLR and I haven't taken a photography class yet. If I can't find a good used model of the Canon Vixia HF S200. I'm probably going to purchase the Canon Vixia HF G20 brand new.

But I believe that the S200 has a 1/2" inch sensor and the G20 has a 1/3" sensor so will the S200 have better image quality than the G20 since it has a larger sensor? My video camera has a 1/4" sensor so is there really a huge difference? Let me know in the comment section below.
PC SPECS:
Intel i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz
16GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (2GB)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

EDITING:
Vegas Pro 12
DVD Architect Pro 6
Sound Forge Pro 11
HitFilm 2 Ultimate

VIDEO EQUIPMENT:
Canon Vixia HF S20
Sony HDR-CX110

AUDIO:
ZOOM H1
Rode VideoMic

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Best places to buy used video cameras

Posted 06 Oct 2014 19:03 #4
The sensor in the current G20 is a newer design.
It sounds like a very nice camera from what I read on the Canon website.
Go for it !
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds