VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Win 10 install videos.

Replied by Peter on topic Win 10 install videos.

Posted 11 Jul 2016 10:32 #11
Hi to all,

Down loaded and installed Win 10 - all seems to be working ok.
Moving on to the clean install of the OS.
HP does seem to complicate things - but eventually got the boot order changed to the DVD drive.

Now:
arriving at the drive deletion section - and not wanting to "cock thing up"

Drive 0 Partition 1 Win RE Tools Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 2 System System
Drive 0 Partition 3 MRS (Reserved)
Drive 0 Partition 4 Windows Primary
Drive 0 Partition 5 Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 6 Recovery Image OEM Reserved

The above is indicated and now: Which are to be delete?
The message came up that:
Drive 0 Partition 4 Windows Primary was where Win 10 should be placed and the others are no allowed as spaces to be used.

I presume that Partition 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6 are related to the previous install of Win 8.1 - therefore are these required? May they be deleted, or are they required by Win 10 in the future?
Awaiting advice

Regards

Peter

Primary
by Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ben
  • Ben's Avatar Offline
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Ben on topic Win 10 install videos.

Posted 11 Jul 2016 11:20 #12
Hi all:
I am a new "member" who tried installation of windows 10 over my Windows 7 this weekend. I went through the first video and got windows operating – had several lock ups requiring a cold boot each time but got a feeling for 10. My main concern with 10 is seems as if you do not allow windows to have complete access to all your operations the online help is not accessible.!
My question revolves around cleaning my hard drive in the 2nd video.
I use Carbonite on line for my back up. Now tell me if I clean the hard drive which will include the Carbonite file how do I access to Carbonite with all my backed up files? I have no resource for doing a complete dump into an outboard hard drive. My 600 g hard drive is now about half full.
My other thought is my PC is now about six years old and perhaps a Mac would be a solution that as I understand it would provide much better "privacy".
Have been using the Sony movie studio video software now for about eight years – they're really great!
Many thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

Many thanks for any help and guidance.
Ben
by Ben

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Win 10 install videos.

Posted 11 Jul 2016 11:36 #13

Peter wrote: Drive 0 Partition 1 Win RE Tools Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 2 System System
Drive 0 Partition 3 MRS (Reserved)
Drive 0 Partition 4 Windows Primary
Drive 0 Partition 5 Recovery
Drive 0 Partition 6 Recovery Image OEM Reserved

The above is indicated and now: Which are to be delete?

If you are wanting to a true Clean Install, all these Partitions need to go !
You need to delete/format everything on the drive.
Keep deleting until you get back to just ONE Drive 0 and nothing else.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

Posted 11 Jul 2016 11:41 #14
Hi Derek,
Yes - it will be a complete clean out - over due!
Thanks for the neat clarification

Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 11 Jul 2016 11:58 #15

Ben wrote: My question revolves around cleaning my hard drive in the 2nd video.

Hi Ben and welcome to the Forum.

I am not familiar with Carbonite.
I am not a fan of using Cloud Based online storage to Backup ALL the contents of a computer.
I think it is OK to use these services for backing up certain important files, but not for doing an entire computer.
These types of services also slow down your Internet connection and chew through your monthly download allowance provided by Internet Service Provider.

You really need to invest in an External Hard Drive that uses USB 3.0 connections and use that instead.
If your Hard Drive is only 600GB, you should be able to find an inexpensive 1TB or 2TB drive.

Yes when you do a Clean Install, everything is going to be wiped from the Drive. However I am sure that Carbonite can easily be re-installed after you have completed the Windows 1o clean install, and then your data will be sent back to your PC. That's the whole point of a service like Carbonite. Imagine your computer had become infected with a virus and you could no longer use it. In that situation you would have to do a clean install anyway and then restore your files from Carbonite.

If you have concerns, just send a message to Carbonite Support and tell them you plan to do a Clean Install of Windows 10. Check what the process is for re-installing the program and restoring files. Personally I would prefer you to buy an external Hard Drive and do this yourself.

In regards to Privacy, Apple is no better than Microsoft. After hearing Edward Snowden blow the lid on the NSA and how it has bullied all the big tech companies into illegally spying on everyone, I don't believe "the hype" from any big company now. They say one thing publicly and do another privately.

We live in a dark age at the moment and everyone is abusing our privacy. There is not much we can do about this for now, until the world shifts into a higher state of consciousness.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:11 Jul 2016 12:11 by DoctorZen

• Ben
  • Ben's Avatar Offline
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by Ben on topic Win 10 install videos.

Posted 11 Jul 2016 23:52 #16
Thank You Derek for the prompt and food for thought!
Ben
by Ben

Posted 12 Jul 2016 11:58 #17
Completed clean install - no problems so far, all in place and the internet connection is up and running (well, if a download speed of 20kbs is viable - the lad is not happy, server problems!)

Thanks for the inside info Derek.
The videos were clear - I just needed second opinion on deleting the partitions and that it would leave the drive nice and empty but usable.

Peter
by Peter

Posted 15 Jul 2016 18:44 #18
This is a message for Uncle Zook !

My computer was having problems installing the latest Windows Update for Windows 10 - kb 3172985
So I was reading about what this update actually fixes and found something very, very interesting!

I found this on Reddit www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4si69u/windows_10_cumulative_updates_kb3172985_and/
One of the fixes listed says this:
Fixed issue with some people seeing a black screen instead of the lock screen when resuming from connected standby.

Press Windows Start button
Go to Settings/Windows Update
Check for Updates.

I would love to know if this fixes your problem Uncle :?: :idea:
Last Edit:15 Jul 2016 18:45 by DoctorZen

Replied by Uncle Zook on topic Win 10 install videos.

Posted 16 Jul 2016 07:58 #19
Thanks again Derek. It really sounded like the solution to my problem, but unfortunately it didn't work.
Per Mike's suggestion I did pursue getting help from AMD. They did advise me on what the latest BIOS version is for my computer (Mike was right) but then they advised me to go to HP to install it. On HP they warned me not to install BIOS updates via the motherboard manufacturer. They then led me on a wild goose chase which ended in my not being able to install a BIOS update. HP is so screwed up they do not recognize Windows 10 as one of the current operating systems on their Product Support site.
Here is my plan for now (including not taking up yours and Mikes valuable time). I have selected "never" as the elapsed time for when the sleep mode kicks in. If I forget to turn off my computer I'll pay a small penalty in my electricity bill, but at least I should not have any more darkened screens. My screen doesn't actually go black, but rather very barely readable but enough so that I can turn off the computer. I will add my complaint to the chorus of others having the same problem and hope that Microsoft eventually comes up with a fix. BY the way what made you look at Redditt for windows 10 update info? The update you mentioned was automatically installed on my computer on July 13th.

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Win 10 install videos.

Posted 16 Jul 2016 08:55 #20
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=flash+bios+HP+23-f217c

Hi Uncle Zook,

No need to worry about taking up my valuable time. I'm retired, and trying to help out our community here! Besides, can't stand those HP "script-reading trouble shooters" who have no clue what they are doing and DO NOT LISTEN TO THE CUSTOMER! So, above, I have posted a link to a YouTube search for your computer model on flashing the BIOS. One of them should help. But, first, go back to the HP support site link that I previously sent in the other forum topic, enter your model number, then go to the drivers and software page. Change the Operating System from Windows 10 to either Windows 7 or 8/8.1. Then expand the BIOS section, and there were two newer versions than the one you listed. Get the most recent one and download it. If you have a older USB stick, preferably USB 2.0, make sure it is formatted to FAT or FAT32 (Preferable), ensuring there is nothing on that drive you need. If the file that you downloaded from HP is an archive file like (.zip, .rar)*********Strike this********* Just downloaded to my machine to see what type of file it is, and it is one of the fine "Executable" files that HP loves to put out. Due to the restrictions on uploading certain types of files to the site (Yes, Thank You Derek for doing that to prevent "nasties" from appearing!). But, download either the 80.10 or 80.11 file to your computer, make sure you have your documents and files backed-up somewhere, and you can run the file. It will first want to "Expand" to a folder, then run, if still typical HP fashion.

Using this file from either Windows 7 or 8/8.1 has no bearing on the actual Operating System. This is for the basic functionality of the components upon/within the motherboard itself. Why the genius brigade at HP has issues with simplistic items like this is beyond me. One reason we always had issues trying to update our Servers when I worked at the School District in IT!

The big caveat in all of this, is that there is always the potential of something going wrong with the BIOS update flash. Less of a problem these days then in the past, but Mr. Murphy is always lurking. Like I said, make sure you have all your important files/documents/etc. backed-up, and if possible, have your computer connected via a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), as losing power during the update of a BIOS/UEFI Flash is "Bad". Don't have any other program running, and be extremely patient with the update. It will take a few Minutes to complete, including a reboot or two of the computer. It seems like you know how to get into the BIOS of your computer, so if you can, before you start, go into the BIOS, and on each tab and setting, write down what you currently have set. Once the BIOS flash is done, you can go back in and check the settings to see if anything changed, was added/deleted.

Remember, back everything up first! Just in case that wasn't mentioned :wink:

Good Luck on your endeavors, and I'll be keeping an eye out on your progress.

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.891 seconds