VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Temporary Profile Windows 7 - unable to clear and login normally

Earlier today I received on my Windows 7 PC an advice from Apple with updates for iTunes and iCloud. I accepted the updates, have done so on many occasions previously, but about 5 times the message on screen (Not Responding), . Finally it got to the stage of downloading the updates and this process usually takes about 5 minutes through to Finish.

But today it hung up at about 40% downloading and eventually I had to force a cancellation. I did not attempt a repeat at that stage.

Later when I came to login on to this PC I have been continuously put into a Temporary Profile, and unable to access any data, files etc. I followed advice suggesting that a download may have corrupted the works, my instant thoughts went back to Apple. So I set-to to Restore system files and settings. It suggested the previous successful download and installation was on 21st March, so that's the restore point.

This process was lengthy and when completed the system restarted, I logged in on my User Account as normal and ... back to the Temporary Profile with a message that an anti-virus program may be running. So I ensured both Malwarebytes and AVG were temporarily disabled and ran the System Restore again with exactly the same result.

I am composing this message in the Temporary Profile mode.

The previous full image backup I created was a few months ago, I would hope not to have to restore that far back.

Any thoughts about how to get out of this quandary?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Videome on topic Temporary Profile Windows 7 - unable to clear and login normally

Posted 29 Mar 2017 22:51 #2

descondon wrote: Any thoughts about how to get out of this quandary?

Hi Descondon,

I have not read this completly, but this link may help. Looks like a mess up in the registry.

kb.uwplatt.edu/page.php?id=33215

I hope this helps

EDIT:- here is another I have found, looks like its a common problem with windows 7 OS:-

www.sysprobs.com/fix-temporary-profile-windows-7
Last Edit:29 Mar 2017 22:55 by Videome
The following user(s) said Thank You: descondon

Videome wrote: I have not read this completly, but this link may help. Looks like a mess up in the registry.

Hi Videome, why did I think I might hear from you when I was writing my problem earlier?

I have shut down my pc for the night, brain cells need sleep. I shall tackle this in the morning.

The first link looks very promising and that's where I'll start when the brain is awake. I wonder what words you used when researching as nothing like that appeared when I looked earlier. You are very knowledgeable.

I will post a response if and when it is successful. Not being superstitious but I wonder if my comment about how well Vegas MSP 14 was going so well could have caused...naw, that's silly thinking!

I shall also consider the second link if necessary, of course. Rule out nothing.

Thank you Videome for your expertise and skilful research. des

Replied by Videome on topic Temporary Profile Windows 7 - unable to clear and login normally

Posted 29 Mar 2017 23:53 #4

descondon wrote: I wonder what words you used when researching as nothing like that appeared when I looked earlier.

Hi Des,

Not knowledgeable, just practical, I simply searched for what you asked "temporary profile windows 7". There are a lot more hits to scour too. The Internet is a fountain of knowledge. Unfortunately its abused. Too many individuals use it to destroy and corrupt. Fortunately there are more enthusiastic well meaning human beings wishing to help others than those that wish to destroy. Hence whenever I need to resolve a problem, its the first place to look and compare solutions.

Malcolm
by Videome
The following user(s) said Thank You: descondon

Videome wrote: Fortunately there are more enthusiastic well meaning human beings wishing to help others than those that wish to destroy.

I must agree with you, there are very helpful people out there and you are definitely one of the best of them.

Sadly, after following very carefully the steps in the links you gave me, I am still in the Temporary Profile login. Yesterday I had two login buttons, Administrator and my own standard, the corrupted one. Now I have this corrupted one that logs me in to the temporary profile over and over, and 'Other User' that I appear to have created in actioning the links.

I have had most of My Documents, Photos, Music and, most importantly, Vegas projects already backed up to external drives. I was able to access these again in the Profile Directory and top-up my backups with the most recent.

So, having done that, I was thinking that maybe I could start afresh, delete all reference to my previous existence on this PC and create a new 'me profile' with standard admin rights.

Is that wise? And how would I go about doing that?

Another thought is that I have a System Image on disc dated some months ago. If I was to use it would everything up to that date be restored INCLUDING my original and fully working account login?

I am going to follow Derek's advice and switch off, walk away for a while. Maybe inspiration will hit me or...?

It is fortunate I have my iPad with which to access and communicate on this excellent forum.

Thank you, as always, Malcolm.

des

Hi Des

This is a new one for me. I have never heard of this problem before.
If you can't find a solution on the Windows Forums, I would recommend performing a Clean Install of Windows 7.
You could try to restore your saved System Image from the disc first and see if that works - it can't hurt, but if it fails, do a clean install.

Over the years I have experienced various problems with Windows, that just could not be solved.
My logic is to use time wisely and don't waste time banging your head against a brick wall (I have a dent in my head, because I am a professional wall banger). So if you can't solve this within 48 hours, it is probably better to cut your losses and re-install Windows 7 from scratch.

If you do end up performing a clean install of Windows, make sure to turn on System Restore before you begin re-installing all your programs. Then if the problem ever returns, you can immediately use System Restore and go back in time. If you don't use System Restore immediately after a problem arises, it can become difficult to wind back your computer to a functioning state.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, descondon

Thank you Derek,

I'm going to digest what you are saying, not rush into anything. I tried a restore from a slightly older restore point and, despite the fact I had disabled both AVG and Malwarebytes, the restore failed telling me an anti-virus was active! Very annoying and so much time wasted.

I am concerned that if I use the image backup (sadly 6 months old) I will be banging not just my head but a lot more besides, not a pretty sight!

I am still backing up to a HDD the data on my D drive, all of the C drive is already backed up.

Unfortunately I have a slew of HDDs that have failed, unable to extract data, with various item of data including possibly serial numbers for some older applications. I may not be able to restore all I want. But most importantly I want to have Vegas MSP 14 up and running with Sony MSP 13 providing NewBlue Titler EX as a workaround.

Referring to the anti-virus and Malwarebytes, I might simply uninstall them temporarily so I can try my restore again. Failing that I may have to resort to the image restore, ancient as it is.

Thank you for your advice, Derek, shall re-read and absorb. It is likely I will be asking more questions.

des

Referring to the anti-virus and Malwarebytes, I might simply uninstall them temporarily so I can try my restore again. Failing that I may have to resort to the image restore, ancient as it is.

I have tried on numerous occasions to use System Restore and repeatedly it fails with the message that an anti-virus is interfering. This despite the fact that initially I disabled the AVG anti-virus, also Microsoft Defender which appears to have done nothing since 2013, and also Malwarebytes.

Today I went one step further and un-installed AVG altogether as I wasn't convinced it was disabled. Ran System Restore another couple of times and I am still getting the anti-virus failure message.

Each System Restore process followed by re-start takes up to 15 minutes, so much time wasted and still I do not have an answer.

There is a cryptic error code as well but who knows what these codes mean?

See the attached photo of the on-screen message with the coded enigma.

I feel that my next step is a full restore using the Image Backup, albeit six months old, but after 'anybody's guess' how many hours that runs, will the final word be yet another fail message that an anti-virus had prevented it from succeeding?

If I am doing a System Restore using the Image backup, do I or can I isolate the restore to the C Drive only, how would I do that? The backup is of both the C and D drives.

Will the data in both C and D drives be secure or will it all be obliterated? I have taken the precaution of copying most of the contents to HDDs. But what about Program files, both, will they stay or go? You can guess from my questions that I've not been in this situation before.

I have saved Image backups a few times but have never had to use the file to restore. So another new path, a learning curve.

Any and all thoughts will be most welcome, thank you.
Attachments:

And I forgot to include the following in my earlier post today.

In Control Panel, Programs, I uninstalled three Apple items that were dated 29th March, these I believe may have been the cause of the problem with my login when they hung up while downloading and installing.

I have no way of knowing, with my limited tech knowledge, if these were at fault or if it was a coincidence but I took the risk. And the end result is as above, each of my attempts at System Restore failed.

Stating the obvious: You need to be very careful when "restoring" Windows, that you don't delete any of your saved Data Files.

The fact that your system backup image contains data from the C and D drive, concerns me. Because of the multiple problems, I don't think restoring your 6 month old system image file is viable now and will probably just lead to more problems.

If I was you, the first thing I would do is make sure all my data (Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music) was copied (backed up) onto a separate drive. Then I would do a complete Clean Install of Windows 7, spend hours downloading and installing all Windows Updates, then slowly re-install all your programs and finally restore your data files.

On my own PC, I have 5 drives in total:
C-Drive = SSD
D-Drive = Documents, Music and Pictures
E-Drive = Videos
F-Drive = Videos
G-Drive = 6TB Master Backup Drive, that has a carbon copy of all my data files.

Every time I had to to a clean install of Windows 10 (about 4 times in last 18 months), I was able to work only with the C-Drive and leave the Data drives alone. Some people go the extra step and physically disconnect all their additional data drives and only leave the C-Drive connected. That way there is no chance of accidentally wiping something important. After Windows has been re-installed, the first thing you need to do is re-link all the data drives so that they show up.

I have an old tutorial on how to install Windows 7 here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/computers-and-video-editing/48-how-to-install-windows-7-operating-system-drivers-a-folders
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:25 Apr 2017 10:11 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, Eagle Six, descondon

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.897 seconds