VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Temporary Profile Windows 7 - unable to clear and login normally

Hello Derek,
Thank you for your very detailed advice. As you were composing it I was coming to the end, nearly, of a very long process.
What I have done is created a new logi, in my name, only variation being middle initial added. This has Administrator rights as had the original.
Almost all of my data was already copied to external drives and, for now, safe.
I then copied files and folders from My Documents in my original User Account to My Documents in my new User Account. I have also copied music, photos, other media and especially all of my video projects.
When I was satisfied that I had copied all to my new login and that when I rebooted my pc, this new login was available and working...yes it worked...I then deleted the files from My Documents in the original User Account. I had no choice as I had effectively doubled up the data and my C drive was at capacity.
I also did a test project in Vegas MSP 14, rendered and checked that it could all be saved in my new account. Yes, that worked.
To sum up what I now have. My Documents folder in my original, faulty, account is now empty.
D drive still has data and it appears and the contents are available in the new account without copying. That is very pleasing.
I have everything backed up in external drives.
Question. If I deleted altogether the original account and it's temporary profile, what would get deleted with it?
I am guessing that the Program Files (and x86) will remain active along with the new account.
If I didn't delete the original account, simply ignored it, does it matter, will it impact either way on the running of my PC?
My most important task was to be able to work once more with Vegas MSP 14 and this I have achieved. It looks like MAGIX Music Maker and Sound Forge are also ok, will have to run checks to make sure.
Is this a sensible or foolish resolution to my Temporary Profile issue?
I know you are suggestion a Clean Install but if this works for me shouldn't I go with the old adage, "if it ain't broke then don't fix it!"
I am not technically minded like so many who post on your excellent forums and so what I have done is definitely challenging and I hope satisfying in the long run.
I will bear in mind your advice regarding a clean install if it is required at a later stage. Will look at your suggested link.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond Derek .

des

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Des,

I have been following along with this thread to see how things are going.

I have just finished reading your last entry. You may be experiencing some relief of what has been happening, but after all that has transpired, I have to totally agree with Doctor Zen on just re-installing Windows 7 fresh. In my past as an IT guy, what you are now experiencing, is only temporary. I would have to say that the Windows Registry, where everything is actually stored concerning your hardware, software, profiles, and other things, in short "Is Really Messed Up". There is a reason Computer Technicians will only try and attempt to correct a situation as yours for so long, before it becomes obvious that a fresh install becomes a wiser and less time consuming process, and that is including re-installation of any software that is used, or even special hardware. And I am talking for both parties, Technician and Customer.

Yes, re-installation can be a slightly stressful process, but I have watched Derek's Windows 7 and 10 Installation videos, and He has done an excellent job at trying to portray the proper procedure for someone such as yourself. If you decide to proceed, as Derek mentioned in his last post to you, a lot of people "disconnect" any additional drives if they are not sure. This is actually what you should do, as Windows 7 (and sometimes 8/8.1) had a bad habit of trying to install the Operating System files across "multiple" drives. If you have an external drive, disconnect that, and even any card reader, internal or external, as well. The only drive I ever leave connected up besides the drive I plan to install the Operating System on are my Blu-Ray burners. Don't care what the Internet Trolls, and other so-called experts say about not having a DVD or Blu-Ray Drive/Burner these days, most of them are typically only worried about Internet movies (Netflix), or not developing/creating discs like a lot of our forum members do. I would recommend that you go to the manufacturer of your Motherboard and get the most up to date drivers/utilities/BIOS or UEFI available for the Operating System you are going to be using (most now have separate for the 32 or 64 Bit software, so you need to know if you are installing 32 or 64 Bit Windows and get the correct version. Some, like my Asus motherboard, just have the one download for the OS and type (32/64). The main drivers you would need are for the Chipset, MEI (Management Engine Interface), Audio, Network, Wireless, Bluetooth, SATA/AHCI, etc. First ones to install after re-installing the OS, is 1. Chipset, 2. MEI, 3. SATA/AHCI (if applicable). The rest however you want to proceed. DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET TIL LATER! Windows will try to download the drivers "It Thinks" you need. If the manufacturer has a BIOS or UEFI update for your board, before you do anything else like OS installation, is the best time to update your Motherboard. This provides all the basics required by the board to function properly (All that waiting time after you start your machine before you see that spinning Windows logo - this is the POST - "Power On Self Test"). You can also download Utilities from the Manufacturer for your board. Could be for tuning fan speed, overclocking, and other things. That is up to you.
Also download the latest video card driver for your particular card from AMD or nVidia, and use that driver.

Once you are done with all these driver installations, then connect to the Internet and start that lovely Windows update process. And since you said you are on Windows 7, expect a "long time". This would also be the best time to create a complete backup of your system before anything else, so if something does happen, you have a better image to start from and not the very beginning Finally, now reconnect any drives from before, reboot as necessary, and start installing your purchased software. Here is where Conservatism and Caution come into play. Think of the software that you actually need to use, for whatever you do, and only install what is absolutely necessary, as a lot of times, we let our machines "get Bloated", and forget why we even have some software installed.

This is a lot of information, but I would have done a complete re-format on my machine after the third attempt at the most. The choice is still yours, I am just giving you a slightly "Professional Opinion" on the problem. But hey, I'm just an old geezer trying to have fun in his later years! :)

Good Luck!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, descondon

Thank you Derek and Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan for your expert advice.

In my last post I stated that I had things working again by creating a new Windows Profile. But I've noticed little things are happening or, more correctly, NOT happening. Some features of applications including Sony MSP 13 are not quite as they should be. And today I was unable to play music that I had just created in MAGIX MM. I was able to reset my email application Thunderbird and restore my profile there. Today, I cannot even open Thunderbird.

And so, I am readying myself to tackle a Clean Install with all of its ramifications.

I hope, Mike that I do not have to go into as much detail as you describe, SATA and motherboard etc. Maybe I will but thinking of going so deeply at this stage is to me, with very limited tech knowledge, quite daunting.

I'm sure I'll have further questions but for now thank you for your support and advice. I will have communications of sorts using my iPad.

I do want my Vegas MSP 14 and Sony MSP 13 up and running in their full capacity very soon, they are my main goal.

des

Hello again, Derek, Mike and Malcolm Videome,

Before I attempt a Clean Install I remembered that I had burned backup discs when my PC was first delivered to me and they are as follows:

Factory Default Recovery 4 discs

Backup Drivers and Applications 1 disc.

They date from the PC New in June 2013.

I also have a Repair disc, Windows 7, 64-bit dating from August 2015. I have another Repair disc, Windows 7, 64-bit from about 6 months ago, (when I also burned the Image backup disc, which we have agreed is pretty useless as dated and it included D drive along with C drive.)

But will the Repair discs be of any use?

Would resetting my computer to Factory Defaults using the above discs be as effective as a Clean Install? I'm sure there will be out of date drivers but if the initial set-up could be achieved with theses Factory Default discs then I could fix up the out of date drivers after that.

If you say Yes to using the Factory Default discs is this going to be a difficult task for a tech novice such as me, or at least less difficult than a Clean Install.

Much as I would like to think I'd be brave enough to tackle the Clean Install I feel that it may be over the top for me, I may spend too much time trying to sort it out and might have to admit defeat and end up taking it to a repair shop where he'll probably start again from scratch and charge me $$$ I don't have.

I would be game to try the Factory Default discs first and see what happens. Do you think it could be the answer?

My apologies for going on and on about this computer problem but my end goal is being able to use Vegas MSP 14 and Sony MSP 13, Sound Forge, MAGIX Music Maker, Sony Acid as priorities, all else will have to fit in.

Thank you,

des

Hi Des,

Based on what you now sent, it sounds like you have one of those Pre-built Dell or HP or Lenovo or Acer, etc. type computers, and have added a few things since purchase. You can try the Factory Restore Discs, which you are one of the few that I have ever corresponded with that has actually done this (Good Job On That :) ! ) But I will still go back to my last post about un-attaching all drives with the exception of the boot drive and your DVD or Blu-Ray drive. The same thing could happen. I would also recommend cleaning out the "cob-webs and dust-bunnies" from inside, as well as removing the Heat Sink from the processor, clean both off, and re-apply some new Thermal Interface Material (TIM or thermal paste if you prefer). There are plenty of videos on YouTube that show this, as well as the videos our own Doctor Zen has done. Since there are a multitude of different types of computers, different types of cooling apparatuses and such, even applying the thermal grease/compound/paste has numerous approaches. If you do not feel comfortable doing any of this, then the only thing I can recommend is that you take your computer back to the original store you purchased it (if local like Best Buy, Staples, etc.), or if you purchased online, you will need to find a local computer repair shop. I would have no clue what the expense would be, though having a local shop perform this would be much more preferable than having say the "Geek Squad" from Best Buy do it. You know they would find some other potential problem, or just try to "upsell" the next best thing, or other things. Not saying that is how they all are, but having past experience with relatives and friends going to our local Best Buy or Staples, that is what they do.

The ultimate decision of what YOU want to do, is yours. No one can do this for you. The plain fact of the matter is that having a computer for whatever reason, is going to cost money. Whether the electric to run the computer and monitor, to the upkeep and/or upgrades introduced, to not excluding the amount of time we put ourselves into our hobby/work/job with them. I have no magic bullet to help you with this, nor does anyone else. There is nothing else I can help you with concerning your issue, so you now have to make a choice of what you want to do.

Good Luck,

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: descondon

I have done the deed, gone back to basics. A long, slow process as you'd know and especially for me having not faced this type of 'out of my comfort zone' stuff previously.

Am in the process now of reinstalling software, having started with, of course, Vegas MSP 14, that is why we're here, and the rest of the suite.

Inauspicious start, I opened Vegas 14 after activating, to have a quick look and it crashed when I closed the sample project. Will retry tomorrow, I'm sure it will be ok.

At least my login to Windows is restored and stable. Fingers etc crossed that, once all software and updates are installed I can get back into working my projects.

Thank you one and all for your advice. I won't declare this matter completely closed for maybe another 24 hours so I can see that everything remains stable.

des

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.986 seconds