VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved speed of a video clip

speed of a video clip was created by huskereurocat

Posted 04 Oct 2016 12:38 #1
Maybe I'm just not using the search box correctly but I can't find anything about editing the speed of a video clip. Can I do such a thing with MSP13?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's
The following user(s) said Thank You: MedicinalSmoker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic speed of a video clip

Posted 04 Oct 2016 13:25 #2
Yes you can. Just place your cursor at either the beginning or at the end of the video clip you want to compress or extend and hold the 'Ctrl' key down. You should see a little squiggly line show up. When you see that keep holding the Ctrl key down and drag your cursor left or right until you get it where you want it to be.
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
The following user(s) said Thank You: MedicinalSmoker

Replied by DoctorZen on topic speed of a video clip

Posted 04 Oct 2016 20:04 #3
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter, huskereurocat

Replied by MrGrunthunter on topic speed of a video clip

Posted 05 Oct 2016 01:40 #4
Great Tutorial Derek!
Again, I learned something new :-) I never knew about adding a VELOCITY line to a video and adjusting it with keyframes. Pretty awesome! Watching it I also discovered the answer to my question about freely moving the cursor in SONY VEGAS. I noticed you were right clicking on the line UNDER the timeline cursor when you were moving it instead of the cursor itself. I loaded one of my scenic driving videos I just posted and experimented a little with this technique. One other thing I noticed is that it only appears to effect the video itself and NOT the audio timeline so I was a little puzzled that the overall video wasn't shortened or lengthened (maybe it was and I just didn't notice). I found that quite interesting. Could you explain what is actually going on with the video and why the audio isn't affected as well?
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by huskereurocat on topic speed of a video clip

Posted 06 Oct 2016 03:29 #5
Thanks for the tips guys. I was curious to find out if there is some way to keep the audio in sync with the video portion. I was hoping to slow down the video to 90% (just a small bit I know), but the audio doesn't slow down with it. I know that the audio would be affected but at this level I think it would be acceptable. It's mainly field noise from a football game.
Is there any way to keep them in sync?
I tried splitting at each play and slowing down the video in each clip but the audio still jumps ahead. That 10% makes a difference in even a one play clip.
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Posted 06 Oct 2016 03:32 #6

DoctorZen wrote: This tutorial shows all methods available:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/511-how-to-slow-down-go-pro-video

Derek - Does the two pass method increase the size of your final render file? If it doesn't then this may be an answer to the overall quality of the render?
Thoughts?

Posted 06 Oct 2016 16:19 #7

I was curious to find out if there is some way to keep the audio in sync with the video portion.

If your Video and Audio file are still linked/grouped together, they should slow down or speed up at the same rate.
If you have been experimenting with the same clip in same existing project, the speed & sync may have become screwed up/corrupted.

To test if a video is still grouped/linked to audio, try dragging video on timeline and see if audio follows.
If it does not follow, it is un-grouped.
Highlight video and audio, then press G to re-group.

I suggest you try an experiment in new test project with nothing else but a single video clip.
Import and slow down.
If you want to do it accurately, right-click video and select Properties.
Set Playback rate = 0.9 for 90% speed.

Is audio slowing down at same rate now ?
This works OK for myself in MSP13.

Does the two pass method increase the size of your final render file?

Sometimes two pass method actually makes the video file size slightly smaller.
It all depends on the subject matter of the video.
A video with mainly still or slow moving subjects, will encode completely differently to a video containing fast moving scenes.
The faster the movement, the bigger the file size.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:06 Oct 2016 16:20 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: huskereurocat

Posted 07 Oct 2016 02:39 #8

DoctorZen wrote:

I was curious to find out if there is some way to keep the audio in sync with the video portion.

If your Video and Audio file are still linked/grouped together, they should slow down or speed up at the same rate.
If you have been experimenting with the same clip in same existing project, the speed & sync may have become screwed up/corrupted.

To test if a video is still grouped/linked to audio, try dragging video on timeline and see if audio follows.
If it does not follow, it is un-grouped.
Highlight video and audio, then press G to re-group.

I suggest you try an experiment in new test project with nothing else but a single video clip.
Import and slow down.
If you want to do it accurately, right-click video and select Properties.
Set Playback rate = 0.9 for 90% speed.

Is audio slowing down at same rate now ?
This works OK for myself in MSP13.

Just recorded a new clip and tried what was suggested and it didn't work. As you can see from the pics when you have them highlighted, the properties section is grayed out and you cannot select it. If you have only the video portion highlighted you can select properties but it only affects the video and not both of them together. Regrouping them has no affect other than it highlights both of them and then I cannot select properties. Don't understand what I would be doing wrong.

Attachments:

Posted 07 Oct 2016 11:10 #9
There is some confusion now and I am to blame for this - sorry.
[IMG

I was only mentioning the highlight of BOTH Video and Audio, before Grouping un-linked Video and Audio components.

I made a mistake in what I told you yesterday.
Firstly, make sure you have Active Take Information turned ON, so you can see what % the playback speed is set to.
Go to View/Active Take Information

You need to use the CTRL + drag method, to slow down BOTH Video and Audio at same rate - this is the method you need to use.

Changing the Playback Rate by right-clicking Properties and manually setting %, only affects Video only.
Last Edit:07 Oct 2016 11:11 by DoctorZen

Posted 07 Oct 2016 15:55 #10
That was the ticket! Seems to work like a champ now! Thanks!!! :wink:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.923 seconds