VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea Filming Aviation - What Do You Use and/or Recommend

• Eagle Six
  • Eagle Six's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
  • Thank you received: 567

Filming Aviation - What Do You Use and/or Recommend was created by Eagle Six

Posted 10 Oct 2016 03:14 #1
I'm interested in learning what type of equipment and processing other members may be using to film aviation. That would be static displays or aircraft, airshow activities, ground-to-air filming of aircraft in flight, and air-to-air filming of aircraft. Equipment including cameras, lens, audio, camera mounts, etc. The settings for shutter speeds, ND filters, etc. How you process in Movie Studio or Vegas pro, such as stabilization corrections, etc.

I've been a pilot since 1972, flight instructor and commercial part 135 freight airlines, and for personal pleasure (not to much flying in the past 30 years). Although I'm currently not flying, the interest and passion are still there, and from time to time have made a few videos. Back in the late 60's early 70's I was active in commercial aerial photography, both as a pilot and the cameraman (as a side line to my studio business).

I have a Canon XLH-1 camcorder (3 ccd) sensor global shutter with a Atomos Samurai Blade recorder. I have put together a DIY zero gravity head, but have yet had the opportunity to use it for aircraft tracking (works pretty good on birds!!). The camera and recorder are quite a large rig for shooting from within aircraft and weighs in about 11 pounds. Recently I have added a Panasonic GH4 with an Atomos Ninja Blade, which I expect will be a reasonably small package to use during flight filming, but I'm not excited about the CMOS sensor and rolling shutter.

For audio, it is either the onboard camera audio (the Canon audio is pretty good, the GH4, not so good) or a Zoom H4n recorder, pretty good, however more added gear and weight! Currently I'm using Vegas Pro 13 and DaVinci Resolve 12.5. Recently, in the few previous aviation videos I made, were done before I acquired Mercalli v4+ SAL/Plug-in and this program would probably be my choice for stabilization in post when needed.

Any experience members would like to share would be appreciated. Although I'm not in the market to replace or add a camera today, tomorrow I may, so what ever camera you are using successfully or recommendations I would be interested to hear. Also, I don't foresee needing an action cam, as I see most of my filming at airshows to be ground-to-ground and ground-to-air, but I might also have some opportunities to get airborne and having an action cam to strap on as a secondary may be doable. Any tips for processing and post production would also be interesting.

At my request 'Eagle eye' made this reply in an unrelated thread. Not to hijack that thread I started this one and wanted to include 'Eagle eye's' post here as the first response.

Eagle eye. wrote: Thanks for reply Eagle Six I use a SONY HXR-NX70p and shoot in PAL. The very few times I have been to an airshow it was mainly ground to ground. The camera is not that fast on focus and keeping it on a moving target. I spent all my working life as an aircraft engineer so I have had my share of aircraft. If I had my way I would prefer a SONY PXW-Z150 or secondly HXR-NX100 these are the ultimate for any activity.

Best Regards......George
Last Edit:17 Oct 2016 23:39 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.734 seconds