VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Selecting default folder for audio recordings

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Selecting default folder for audio recordings

Posted 05 Nov 2016 11:33 #11
Well.....I got a different headset mic and trying to test it out. I have watched your video on setting up the sound and have found it very helpful. I, however, am having an issue with the sound coming out of the front of the PC instead of through the headset.
Let me explain what I have done to this point.
1) I went to the sound prefs on my PC and reset the recording and playback properties of my new headset mic. I did the test chime and it comes through the headset and not the front of the PC.
2) I have gone into MSP13 prefs and set the Audio Device to be my headset/mic rig.

I recorded a clip in MSP13 and it is still playing back through the front of the PC.

What am I missing here?

Edit: I went ahead and disabled the PC HD speakers and as you can see from the prefs window the playback area is all grayed out, so I can't choose anything now. The Master bus still shows that there is sound so I know that it recorded a track, but nothing is coming through. I even restarted the PC thinking that there may be something wrong that way. I would think that these headphones are jacked if it weren't for the chime that comes through them when I test in the control panel.
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's
Last Edit:05 Nov 2016 15:27 by huskereurocat
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Selecting default folder for audio recordings

Posted 05 Nov 2016 16:49 #12

I recorded a clip in MSP13 and it is still playing back through the front of the PC.

Are you talking about the audio you hear while you edit with MSP13 ?
OR
Are you talking about the audio you hear, when you play back your rendered Audio File, using your PCs Media Player ?

Either way, I don't think your problem has anything to do with your MSP13 settings - the most important setting in MSP13 is for your Microphone.
The Playback sound you hear is controlled by your Windows Playback/Recording Devices Control Panel.
If you are using a Desktop PC, you will have 2 or 3 different ports that your Headphones & Speakers can connect to.
I suspect that the Ports you are using is actually causing the problem.

There are 3 possible options:
#1. Front Mic/Headphone Ports - from Motherboard
#2. Back Mic/Headphone Ports - from Motherboard
#3. Back (lower down) Mic/Headphone Ports - from dedicated Sound Card

On my own computer I have a dedicated Sound Card, which means I connect my computers speakers to option #3.

I have no experience with SADES devices and I don't know if your headset is connected with 3.5mm plugs or USB ?
You may need to connect with other SADES users, if they have a forum and find out how other are setting their system up.
Also, is their SADES Drivers you need to install and a SADES Control Panel ?
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 06 Nov 2016 05:30 #13
Hmmmm......didn't do anything but max out the volume on both the headset and the PC control panel and I could now hear the headset. Turns out the quality of the mic is worse than the first mic that I had so I'm returning it.

Thanks for the help!!!
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Posted 04 Jan 2017 07:11 #14
This is still on the same topic so I'll continue to use this thread even though it is a little old now.

I reset my preferences as was outlined in instructions so that all my defaults were as this were a new program. I can't figure out why my recording and prerenders folders are changed by the time that I get to the recording process in my video creation. When I set up the project they are as I want them, but for some reason by the time that I get ready to record to the timeline, the folders are changed and I am uncertain why. I haven't changed them and do not want them changed. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing to create this problem? It gets a little frustrating to change the folders back to where they are supposed to be pointed every time that I get ready to record.

Thanks
Attachments:

Posted 04 Jan 2017 12:13 #15
Hi there

I just did an experiment and don't have the same problem you do.
I suspect it is a Windows folder permissions problem and that is why the changes are not sticking.
The first thing I recommend you try is to always run Movie Studio as the Administrator. This will make sure you are always operating at maximum permissions level.

Right-click the quickstart icon for Movie Studio on your Windows Desktop.
Go to Compatibility tab and turn on Run this program as the administrator.
Now every time you start MS, it will have max. permissions.

The other thing I recommend you do is make sure the folder in your E-drive is set to share with everyone, with full read/write permissions.
On my computer I have 5x drives in total. 4 of them are storage drives.
Each drive is set up with identical Master folders at top of hierarchy like this:
D:\Users\UserName\Documents\Vegas Pro 14 Projects\
E:\Users\UserName\Videos\...........
F:\Users\UserName\Backups\...........

Then at the level of Documents, Videos or Backups, I make sure that at least one user is assigned with full read/write permissions.
So if I right-click Documents, Videos or Backups and select Properties/Sharing/Share, a window pops up showing what permissions are set at the top folder. An easy way to make sure it works, is to select Everyone from drop down box and then set to read/write.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

Posted 05 Jan 2017 02:14 #16
MSP13 was already set to run as administrator but where I may have been running into problems is the permissions on my drives. The E drive was not set to share at all. I changed that and I will have to see if that was the issue. Thanks for the insight!!!

Posted 05 Jan 2017 06:48 #17
My brain was only half engaged when I replied yesterday.
If you want your settings to stick for the next project, make sure to CHECK "Start all new projects with these settings".
Turning on file management when you start a new project, will also help create a folder structure.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: huskereurocat

Posted 06 Jan 2017 04:48 #18
Seems to have worked Doc! I will let you know if it holds up. Something that seems a little weird is that when I tick the "Start all new projects with these settings" box and click apply, the next time that I open the properties box that little box is bland again. I don't know if that is normal, but it is working so it must be!

BTW, how do you take a snapshot of just the property box and leave the whole screen out of the shot?
Last Edit:06 Jan 2017 04:50 by huskereurocat

Posted 06 Jan 2017 10:51 #19

...the next time that I open the properties box that little box is bland again

This is normal behaviour.

BTW, how do you take a snapshot of just the property box and leave the whole screen out of the shot?

I use a program called Snagit. I have been using this screen capture program for many, many years and would be lost without.
It takes still images, videos and comes with editor for adding things like arrows.
www.techsmith.com/snagit.html

You can also use built in Microsoft Paint and crop your images after taking screen shot.
Instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/vegas-pro/169-how-to-turn-off-tangent-function-in-vegas-pro-12-masking#552

Replied by Peter on topic Selecting default folder for audio recordings

Posted 06 Jan 2017 14:01 #20
Hi Huskeurocat,

If "Snagit" doesn't appeal - give "Screenpresso" a once over.

Have been pleased with its ease of use.

Regards,

Peter
by Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: huskereurocat

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.867 seconds