VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Trimming audio tracks

Trimming audio tracks was created by huskereurocat

Posted 18 Nov 2016 13:37 #1
I've run into a snag and maybe someone here has the answer for me.
I have been recording commentary into my timeline for my football games and find that I have had to make a lot of stops, delete or trim (I've tried both methods) the bad verbiage areas and then start again in the same track and record further. Since my recording device records at a ridiculously low level and I cannot bring it up enough in MSP13, I have been exporting the entire track to Audacity, doing any editing to it that is necessary and then exporting that back into the MSP13 project. I have found out that when I import the recorded files into Audacity, which there may be 40ish of them, all that verbiage that I thought was eliminated as I was recording is now in the files again. What can I do to have a nice clean track without all the parts that I had intended to delete?

Help!!
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Trimming audio tracks

Posted 19 Nov 2016 02:16 #2
Hi huskereurocat,

My first thought would be to render out the audio, take that to Audacity make the changes and then bring it back into your timeline to replace the narrative track.

Mute all audio tracks except the commentary track that you have cut and trimmed. Render it to a .wav file. Only those parts you have on the timeline will be included in the rendered .wav file. Bring that .wav into Audacity and make the changes you require and save it back out to a wav. Then bring that modified Audacity .wav into the timeline aligned with the original. Either delete the original or mute it.

I'm sure there are other ways, but that comes to mind first as down and dirty, but may not be as quick and easy as another alternative setup.

I think I would work on getting your mic and audio system setup so you can get the volume you want within SMS13. On the other hand, I think I remember someone having a problem like this with their mic, maybe that is you, and using Audacity is a work around until you can obtain a better mic.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:19 Nov 2016 02:19 by Eagle Six

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Trimming audio tracks

Posted 19 Nov 2016 10:37 #3
Hi George!
Porbably is me you are thinking of since I know that I need to upgrade my mic situation. I have to wait until January to buy more eequipment. Being on a disability budget has its drawbacks, but we make it work somehow.

Sounds like an interesting idea, just wondering how you would accomplish this without rendering the video along with it. You can't delete the video before rendering or it would be gone. Would doing a save as right before you render be a safe option? I know I will have to do some testing to see what works.

Thanks

Kelly
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Posted 19 Nov 2016 11:03 #4

huskereurocat wrote: Sounds like an interesting idea, just wondering how you would accomplish this without rendering the video along with it. You can't delete the video before rendering or it would be gone. Would doing a save as right before you render be a safe option? I know I will have to do some testing to see what works.

Thanks

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Here are the steps.....

Go to 'Make Movie', > 'Save it to my hard drive', 'Advanced options...'. In the 'Formats' window (on the left) select 'Wave (Microsoft)'. From 'Templates' window (on the right) select the appropriate template that matches your recording such as '48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Mono, PCM'. At the bottom of this render display browse to the folder you wish to save in, and insert a name for the rendered file. Then click on 'Render'. The render will run really fast, as all it is doing is the audio.

It's always a good idea to save often and especially just before a render. But you will not lose the video, and no need to delete it, as the 'Wave (Microsoft)' only renders out audio. Hope this helps.....
Best Regards......George

Posted 19 Nov 2016 12:13 #5
George - I just did a test and it seems to work just fine! Takes a number of extra steps but at least I have all the software and hardware that I need to get the job done at this point. It sure will be nice to have a mic that will do the job when I get to that point.

Just out of curiosity, is there a guide for using the audio editing functions in this program or are the tutorials and information in the help menu the best that we can see and hear? I noticed that when I used the tutorial on how to set up VST effects for audio, the program asks for the default VST search folder. Does MSP13 not come with any audio effects in the program? When I do get a proper mic setup, I will be most interested in the amplify and background noise reduction that are wonderful features of Audacity. If it doesn't come with any effects is there a package that I need to purchase in order to have those features?

Thanks for your help,

Kelly

Posted 20 Nov 2016 02:44 #6
Hi Kelly,

Glad to hear you got that work around working for you. Please consider, what I have to say on this subject is limited by my lack of knowledge on the subject, so take it all knowing there are probably many better ways and perhaps Derek or other members will share their suggestions and knowledge.

huskereurocat wrote: Just out of curiosity, is there a guide for using the audio editing functions in this program or are the tutorials and information in the help menu the best that we can see and hear?

Other than the tutorials Dr. Zen offers here, I would go to your favorite search engine. I personally can't think of any, but I'm sure there are some either here or on the web that may help.

huskereurocat wrote: I noticed that when I used the tutorial on how to set up VST effects for audio, the program asks for the default VST search folder. Does MSP13 not come with any audio effects in the program?

Honestly, it's been so long since I installed SMS13p, and have put in and taken out so many plug-ins, I don't remember what initially came with the program. I know I have several plug-in FX within the VST folder and neither of these I think came bundled with Movie Studio 13 Platinum, but I could be wrong.

huskereurocat wrote: When I do get a proper mic setup, I will be most interested in the amplify and background noise reduction that are wonderful features of Audacity. If it doesn't come with any effects is there a package that I need to purchase in order to have those features?

Again, acknowledging my limited knowledge, most of the FX's and adjustment I make to audio are with plug-in's from iZotope. The one I use the most is Necter Elements. They sell many plug-in's, running specials occasionally, and you can download 10 day trial demo's of their effects. New Blue also has some audio FX's. There are probably many more from other companies, and there may be free effects offered on the web as well. Here is a link to iZotope....
iZotope Product Downloads

When you get into position to purchase a better mic, and can make perhaps some adjustments in your work area (to reduce the background noise), you may find your audio is clean enough to eliminate the need for corrections. However, having some tools within Movie Studio to make corrections, without going to another program, I think is the best.

Another option is using Sound Forge Audio Studio. I think you should have received Sound Forge with you purchased SMS13P. If so, you can setup in preferences for SMS13P to use Sound Forge as the prefer audio editor (you can also make this setting for Audacity). If not mistaken, Derek has a good tutorial on how to use Sound Forge (he may have several). Basically, from within Movie Studio, you pass the audio track to Sound Forge, make modifications in Sound Forge, and then pass the results back to Movie Studio, which eliminates the having to render the audio as in the work around I previously suggested.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more and how it goes for you.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Trimming audio tracks

Posted 20 Nov 2016 04:40 #7
Hi huskereurocat,

Concerning what George "Eagle Six" mentioned: "Another option is using Sound Forge Audio Studio". This is an option that comes with MSP13. Within that program are some effects, including "normalize" and "noise reduction" features. I've got MSP13 on this computer I am currently on (one listed in my profile), and have MSP13, Vegas Pro 13 & 14 on my other computer (when I need to have some "heavier lifting" done! :) ). I use either Sound Forge Pro or Audio Studio on the machines for any audio tasks. I'm trying to do better with Acid Music Studio, but my years as a mechanic in the Service has not been conducive to having great "Tonal Quality". I have tried to go the Audacity route, as George suggested, by I personally tend to have problems doing that. Trust me, it is Me and not the programs! :( For a site for Audacity tutorials, you can try "GuerillaBill" on YouTube. This site has been mentioned before in the forums for helping out with audio.

I do try to remember to use my Zoom H4n recorder when shooting videos, and putting that Rode VideoMic on top of my Canon, then just sync them up (also when using my GoPro and Panasonic Camcorder). Seems to help having different audio inputs to go by, more time consuming, but in the end, I primarily use what was recorded on the Zoom, then do "it's" post-processing in Sound Forge.

And yes. Like George said, always do a fresh "Save/Save As" before you start round-tripping! First time you don't, Mr. Murphy will be waiting, and it will always happen on the project that is under time constraints. Yep, been there. For the VST effects, as you said, they are listed in the "Preferences" area under VST Effects, and since I have not installed any other plug-ins, I just checked this machine, and have "3" default NewBlue effects listed.

Good Luck.

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by vkmast on topic Trimming audio tracks

Posted 20 Nov 2016 11:27 #8
Sound Forge Audio Studio 10 came with the Suite versions of MS Platinum.
by vkmast

Posted 20 Nov 2016 13:34 #9
I'll just have to use George's work-a-round then because I went with MSP13 and not the Suite. It will work for now.
Last Edit:03 Dec 2016 16:02 by huskereurocat

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.930 seconds