VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Can't download AVCHD

• MJC
  • MJC's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2

Can't download AVCHD was created by MJC

Posted 07 Dec 2016 04:55 #1
Hi Derek, this one has got me tearing my hair out, the more so because i suspect it is my own ignorance that is making me miss some simple step... Please help me if you can!...
I am trying to download some video i shot today, about 5 minutes' worth, in AVCHD and in 50fps. It was an experiment, to see if i could get better quality than my usual MP4 at 25fps.
My camera is a Canon Legria HF R506.
When i connect it to my pc a window appears inviting me to download the video to Dropbox - no other choices. But if i try to do that another window appears saying there is not enough room in Dropbox. So i'm stymied, as i don't want the video in Dropbox anyway, i want it in my pc hard drive.
I thought that maybe there is special Canon software that would give me more choices, and so I downloaded what looked promisingly like it from the canon website. But it doesn't open - or at least i don't know how to open it; double clicking the download does nothing. Except that it could possibly be the useless existing 'CameraWindow' which invites me to download to Dropbox...? Could it?
I've scoured your tutorials but can't find the answer... and learned a lot on the way. Such as how to edit in AVCHD. But i can't get started unless i can get the vid on to my computer!!
Any thoughts would be much appreciated...
Merrily
by MJC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Can't download AVCHD

Posted 07 Dec 2016 08:06 #2
Hi Merrily

It sounds like you have Auto-Play function turned on in your Windows Settings.
Which version of Windows are you using ? Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 ?

Your camera can record to SD Card or Internal Memory.
How are you downloading video files ?
Did you remove SD card and connect SD to computer ?
OR
Are you connecting camera to computer via USB cable ?

1. Re-boot your computer.
2. Connect your camera
3. When the Dropbox window opens up, just X Click it OFF !!!
4. Instead, go to This PC, PC or My Computer in Windows Explorer window.
Under Devices & Drives you should see your SD card or Camera connected. You can manually open this up and find the AVCHD folder, then drag video files onto a folder on your computer.

AVCHD is definitely a higher quality recording mode than MP4.

I found a copy of your cameras manual here:
gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300013666/02/hfr56-57-506-im2-p-en.pdf

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:08 Dec 2016 00:25 by DoctorZen

Replied by vkmast on topic Can't download AVCHD

Posted 07 Dec 2016 08:21 #3
Pages from 101 on in the manual linked above discuss "Saving Recordings on a Computer".
by vkmast

• MJC
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by MJC on topic Can't download AVCHD

Posted 07 Dec 2016 09:41 #4
Thank you so much - managed it! I was connecting the camera and pc via usb cable, and was attempting to go the My PC route as you suggested - but was bamboozled by the various menus (e.g. DCIM - Private - BDMV - Stream...etc.) all of which names were meaningless to me. However with your encouragement I had another go, and finally hit on the right route through the maze.
May I ask one more quick thing - ? If I render these files (with Movie Studio Platinum 13) for saving on to a DVD, will the higher AVCHD quality remain in that format?
Thanks again, Merrily
by MJC

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Can't download AVCHD

Posted 07 Dec 2016 09:50 #5

MJC wrote: If I render these files (with Movie Studio Platinum 13) for saving on to a DVD, will the higher AVCHD quality remain in that format?

DVDs only support Standard Definition video.
You need to make Blu-ray discs if you want to keep High Definition (higher quality).

You can burn AVCHD HD files to a DVD, however you can only do this as a data disc without normal DVD menus.
The main problem is that DVDs can't hold much data and HD videos are normally very large in file size, whereas Blu-ray disc can hold 5 to 10 times the amount of data.

You can render to 1080-50p using Movie Studio Platinum 13, for playback on your computer or uploading to YouTube.
Read/watch this tutorial here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/543-how-to-render-60p-video-movie-studio-platinum

If you have a modern Smart TV, you can also play back 1080-50p via your Wireless home network or by saving to USB device and plugging directly into the TV.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:07 Dec 2016 09:53 by DoctorZen

• MJC
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by MJC on topic Can't download AVCHD

Posted 07 Dec 2016 16:43 #6
Thank you Dr. Zen. As ever, the most succinct and informative of answers. I have snipped it and saved it for reference forever.
by MJC
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.754 seconds