VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Idea The future of authoring our 4K and HD 50p projects in a purely digital format.

Hi Derek, I would like to float an idea past you or any other interested member for comment.
Many of us can now produce stunning footage in 4K or 1920 x 1080 50p etc. using the XAVCS codec. I can view an edited and saved MP4 file, on my computer screen, or if I had a NAS unit connected to my mains network I could view on my 4K TV which I connected to that network. I don’t have a NAS unit just now but perhaps one day soon! I would be happy to stream my creations from the NAS unit rather than make a disk. However there would be no menu at the start of the MP4 file and no effective chaptering, even though chapter points would have been added during editing in VP14. This is because no authoring had taken place. Do you think it possible that an authoring program could be developed by someone like ‘MAGIX’ to make a digital version of a disk? This would enable a new approach to UHD footage recording & display?
I guess I am feeling very doubtful that UHD disks, writers & software will be coming out any time soon. This idea would be great for people trying to store home/holiday/ self-initiated projects in a playable form. So many people are streaming movies now that this would be a natural progression for private individuals. Call me crazy if you like, but I am just a little old to write my own software even if I had the skills, otherwise I would relish the challenge. I wonder what you all think, is it possible and if so should we as individuals encourage MAGIX to develop this method of file authoring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Eagle eye,

What I know about this subject could most likely balance on the point of a needle!! But what I think I know is, players such as DVD and Bluray provide the means to organize and send to the TV what the viewer selects via the remote between the user and the preview device of those DVD or Bluray players. The TV has very little to do with a menu or intro, or other options which may be provided by a program such as DVD Architect can build into a production on disc that the player then interpret and send a display signal to the TV.

I don't know of any TV that has the smarts required, certainly not my Sony Flat Screen. I think there would have to be some intelligence built into the TV to allow menu's, etc. during streaming. I seriously doubt Magix is developing anything like this, nor do I think they have any working development agreement with Sony, Samsung, LG or other TV manufacturers to pull something like this off. On the other hand, if they are working on it, it probably hasn't progressed to the point they will announce it. On my other spare hand......maybe this is already available and I've just never heard of it!!!
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle eye.

Hi Eagle Eye,
Interesting request!
I must admit I am very content with having the capacity to produce Blu-ray material and menu material.
As you suspect - the chance of equivalent being developed for streamed UHD seems out in the future and as Eagle Six suggests, to be out of the hands of such companies as Magix.
Advances in the technology of image projection is rushing ahead at a pace, so I suspect any software that was developed would be outdated before it returned a rentable profit.
Maybe some open source project could play with the idea.
Still, one never knows!

regards,

Peter
by Peter

Good point 'Eagle Six'. I guess I was just looking for an alternate to the eternal waiting for disk technology to catch up with camera capability. If I stored edited footage on a NAS unit maybe I could save in a folder bearing the title and sub folders with the chapters. I don't know wether this would work but at least you could view the high quality edited footage you wanted to see. I have created some great video (in my view) road touring New Zealand with the wife and the Blu-ray disks I authored are treasured by us both. However that was with the NX70 an AVCHD camera, now I have a AX100 and the full quality of the XAVCS codec even in 1920x1080 50p is stunning. You see my point?

I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult. Software that enables you to create a menu and links etc for video files on a thumbdrive. It's basically no different from having the videos on a disc. With streaming a menu etc for video files contained within a folder to which the menu relates.
by ericlnz

Actually I've been thinking more about this and realise there's more to it. How would you navigate around menus? With DVD/Blu-ray players they respond to their remote. With usb drives inserted into a TV or NAS streamed there is no remote to operate these only the TV remote which won't respond unless it has the necessary software.
by ericlnz

Eagle eye. wrote: If I stored edited footage on a NAS unit maybe I could save in a folder bearing the title and sub folders with the chapters. I don't know wether this would work but at least you could view the high quality edited footage you wanted to see.

Hi Eagle eye,

I don't have an NAS, but stream video from my computer to TV via Wi-Fi. As you suggest, I have stored videos in various folders on the computer, which my TV can see and then make selections to view. My Sony HD flat screen TV has built in Wi-Fi, as do most recent model TV's. I would suspect your 4K TV would also have this capability. If you do not have Wi-Fi in your computer, an inexpensive USB nub Wi-Fi connector would provide the link. If you do not have a Wi-Fi hub (I connect to the internet via a Verizon Wi-Fi), then an inexpensive Linksys Wi-Fi router (or similar device) would provide connecting your PC to the TV. Just a thought as a simple and inexpensive method to stream from your PC to the TV without the expense of an NAS.

This works great for me viewing 1080p HD. 4K video would require a higher band width, but that should be doable, I would just check the specs of the Wi-Fi router and PC USB Wi-Fi nub to assure they provide bandwidth speed to handle the 4K footage, to avoid the dreaded buffering.
Best Regards......George

Thanks for your input on WiFi choices 'Eagle Six'. However I have always favoured the hard wired solution hence I have a pair of 'TP-LINK' powerline adapters. This enables ethernet inputs to my modem to be seen on my TV. Sadly my SONY 65" 4K TV is not an android type so I can't use a keyboard like the Logitech K400 which is disappointing. NAS would help but I am still unsure if I could navigate the file structure without a keyboard?

The idea is excellent and highly demanded, but "mission impossible" unless all industry leaders create a unified standard.
I think the Matroska format would be a good choice for this. It even has a menu specification . There is also PGMX format , but without support from hardware manufacturers it is useless.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle eye.

Great reply & very promising. I had not heard of the 'Pegasys' product 'PGMX File Creator'. Will have to study that one and see if it is an answer to my issue?? Would be interested to hear from anyone else that may have experience with it.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.905 seconds