VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs? was created by huskereurocat

Posted 20 Mar 2017 10:05 #1
I have been debating whether or not to upgrade to MSP14 given the hiccups in the program that I have been reading about. Is it worth upgrading now vs or waiting for the issues to be patched better? Why would say so? Does anyone know when the upgrade discount will be history?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's
Last Edit:20 Mar 2017 10:05 by huskereurocat
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by ericlnz on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 20 Mar 2017 11:40 #2
I recently received a Spring Special upgrade offer which made it worthwhile, so I took it, and registered all my trial editions of Platinum version. I haven't bothered with the full Suite this time around. I'm assuming the bugs will be fixed. It also included Vasco de Gama, which may or may not be of use to you. But bear in mind the DVDA provided is now the Pro version which will do Dolby audio and a few other things. Magix have done away with DVDA Studio. Also Magix Music Maker looks easier to use, for a non musical person like me, than ACID which came with MS13 Suite.
Last Edit:20 Mar 2017 11:40 by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 20 Mar 2017 18:30 #3
Is that spring special something that Magix sent you personally?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Posted 20 Mar 2017 20:59 #4
It came in an email. But I believe it is for current users. Anyway here's the link. I went for Platinum at 49.99. That's US dollars of course.

Link

It has a expiry date of 23 March 2017
Last Edit:20 Mar 2017 21:01 by ericlnz

Replied by vkmast on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 20 Mar 2017 22:10 #5
Good questions all, huskereurocat.

"...whether or not to upgrade to MSP14 given the hiccups in the program that I have been reading about. Is it worth upgrading now vs or waiting for the issues to be patched better?"
Given the some rather fundamental hiccups reported so far, I for one will not even consider upgrading until I see the next update. Magix dev team members have reported that many of the issues have been fixed but no date for the new build has been specified, only "in the next couple months". Read www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/was-disable-resample-removed-from-movie-studio-platinum-14-0--105694/#ca654954

"Does anyone know when the upgrade discount will be history?"
ericlnz's experience with the upgrade offer is different from mine. I never received any upgrade offer for the Movie Studio 14 product line, let alone any special upgrade pricing offer, no email or NetNotify, even though I get constantly NN offers for Vegas Pro 14 in my Sony MSP 13. I needed to take the Magix Vegas Facebook suggestion to create a ticket with MAGIX Customer Support for the offer. A Magix Sales Dept. rep replied in a couple of days (in English) to my "Anfrage an den Kundendienst" with "the upgradeoffer for the current version". No expiry date was mentioned, just "Offer only available for a short time!" ATM, I have not enough confidence in the current version to upgrade. And as ericlnz said, the Suite version is not as attractive as it first seemed to be, so that may be totally out for me as well anyway.

ericlnz wrote: "bear in mind the DVDA provided is now the Pro version which will do Dolby audio and a few other things."
Can you confirm that it includes the customizable DD AC-3 Pro version, which was dropped from versions 14/ DVD A 7, AFAIK?
I'm referring to my posts below elsewhere
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/dvd-architect-replacing-dvd-architect-studio--105958/#ca655839
and the one below which includes the link to the relevant discussion.

Thanks to ericlnz (and a couple of M forum's Dutch/German contributors) for keeping us posted on the many issues of MSP 14.
+1 for this comment of his today as well.
Last Edit:21 Mar 2017 03:46 by vkmast

Posted 20 Mar 2017 22:24 #6
I don't have Vegas Pro so cannot answer your query about DD AC-3 Pro. Sorry. I was hoping Steve would respond to your query on the Magix forum.
by ericlnz

Replied by vkmast on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 20 Mar 2017 23:13 #7
Thanks ericlnz. Judging by the endless discussions I'm under the impression that the customizable AC-3 Pro encoder is not included in the DVD Architect 7 released by MAGIX, so DVD A 7 does not have all the Pro features of DVD A Pro 6 or 5.2. As you say, my query got no response.
by vkmast

Replied by Videome on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 21 Mar 2017 00:13 #8

huskereurocat wrote: I have been debating whether or not to upgrade to MSP14 given the hiccups in the program that I have been reading about. Is it worth upgrading now vs or waiting for the issues to be patched better?

Given the gap since version 13 of movie studio, I thought it would be worth a punt. I judged that considering there has been such a huge delay in the release of an updated version it would be worthwhile. Initially, I went for the cheap and cheerful upgrade from 13 Platinum version to 14 Platinum version. I discovered that I had been misled by the advertising as Titler Pro Express, I thought, came with the Platinum version. Further Titler Ex that comes with 13 Platinum is not intended to work in 14 Platinum. After requesting MAGIX to provide me with a version with all the bells and whistles just like the advert, it was clearly pointed out to me by MAGIX, the Platinum version got much less. To my observation, an inferior bunch of add on's compared to 13 Platinum. Magix, did offer me a 'SHORT' window of opportunity to return my 14 Platinum version to get a very discounted 14 Suite version. I took the offer before the window of opportunity shut.

Having said all of that, if you are not in a rush, I would advise you to wait until the revised version 14.5 appears. MAGIX have not offered a release date yet. That version I am told will address, the surround sound issues and several other problems mentioned elsewhere allegedly. Currently the Titler Pro Express is an inferior add on in my opinion to Titler Ex than came with 13 Platinum.

My overall opinion is that version 14 is much more stable, has a greatly improved UI, having got rid of those huge finger prodding buttons. There are numerous minor improvements to the editing experience on the time line too. I am confident that it will improve anon, but there are a great deal of issues yet to resolve. I do not know if I would be too rude to say that the current version 14 is 'Work In Progress'.
by Videome

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 21 Mar 2017 02:44 #9
I appreciate everyone's input on this. My only real concern was the stability of MSP13. Seems like I have to save as a lot or be in jeopardy of losing some of my work. Just happened last night when MSP13, yet again, quit unexpectedly and didn't ask upon restart if I wanted to save to the updated save. Normally it does ask. This morning it happened again, but MSP13 had an outdated save from a day ago, so I didn't take advantage of that. From the sounds of it I may be waiting a bit longer to see what happens with the upgrade. I don/t know as though the new version solves the instability monster, or what are your thoughts?

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 21 Mar 2017 03:54 #10

huskereurocat wrote: My only real concern was the stability of MSP13. Seems like I have to save as a lot or be in jeopardy of losing some of my work.

My thoughts mirror those of vkmast in his post #5.

I used SMS12P and SMS13P for a couple years before going to Sony Vegas Pro 13. I found both to be very stable, especially being compared to other NLE's I used previously. Of course this isn't unusual that one users system is stable and another is unstable. Just wondering how long has it been since you did a reset? And, if that would help with your stability issues?
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.818 seconds