VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Replied by Videome on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 21 Mar 2017 04:00 #11

huskereurocat wrote: My only real concern was the stability of MSP13. Seems like I have to save as a lot or be in jeopardy of losing some of my work.

MAGIX Have released an update to build 13.0/987. I would not guarantee it was more stable, but it may be. My MSP13 is at the latest build 987 and it does not seem so bad as it was. The only crashes I had with MSP14 are when I have done something odd like changing/or re-installing NewBlue plug-ins. It is a lot more stable than MSP13.
by Videome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by vkmast on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 21 Mar 2017 04:05 #12
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/magix-vmsp-changelog--105060/#ca649349
"All updates to MSP 13 have revolved around rebranding and bug fixes due to issues that were introduced due to the rebranding process."
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, huskereurocat

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 21 Mar 2017 09:22 #13

Eagle Six wrote: Just wondering how long has it been since you did a reset? And, if that would help with your stability issues?

Just curious what needed to be reset? MSP13? I have loaded Win7 due to a MoBo issue and all other drivers have been updated.
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Is MSP14 worth the upgrade costs?

Posted 21 Mar 2017 09:25 #14

Videome wrote:

huskereurocat wrote: My only real concern was the stability of MSP13. Seems like I have to save as a lot or be in jeopardy of losing some of my work.

MAGIX Have released an update to build 13.0/987. I would not guarantee it was more stable, but it may be. My MSP13 is at the latest build 987 and it does not seem so bad as it was. The only crashes I had with MSP14 are when I have done something odd like changing/or re-installing NewBlue plug-ins. It is a lot more stable than MSP13.

I have successfully upgraded to build 987, I had 981 installed and I can't see any update option in any of the menus? How would I know about a newer build. I would only assume that Magix is not going to be making new builds of 13P, but it would be nice to know?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Posted 21 Mar 2017 10:20 #15
huskereurocat wrote: "Just curious what needed to be reset? MSP13?"

Yes. From www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings
"If you have been using your program for a long time on the same computer, garbage files will build up in the Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio temporary files cache. These temporary files can sometimes cause conflicts and strange behaviour. Resetting the program and deleting the temporary files cache, will often fix weird problems that happened out of the blue. After a reset, Vegas Pro or Movie Studio will look like it has been installed for the first time."
I have needed to do this with MSP 12 and 13 every now and then.

huskereurocat wrote: "I have successfully upgraded to build 987, I had 981 installed and I can't see any update option in any of the menus? How would I know about a newer build. I would only assume that Magix is not going to be making new builds of 13P, but it would be nice to know?"

A good point again. Could not locate the original post regarding new update info, but I remember them saying that "[they] will use several methods to let users know that a new update is available including forum announcements." Not sure though which several methods other than forums have been used.
I don't expect MAGIX to update their version of MSP 13 any more now that MVMSP 14 is out.

(Btw., I hate the current BIG quote implementation.)
Last Edit:21 Mar 2017 10:26 by vkmast

Posted 21 Mar 2017 19:07 #16

huskereurocat wrote: How would I know about a newer build?

SONY or MAGIX are not big on making users aware of build changes. I have experienced similar lack of users communications with CORAL and AVID/Pinnacle in the past. I remember a recurring problem I had with PaintShopPro V11. Only after sending out an inquiry to their website did I discover there was a patch to fix the problem.

I only discovered the 13P/987 build because I was curious about the up and coming release of MSP14 and I wanted to be sure I had the latest build by checking my account status after the changeover from Sony to Magix.

As VKMAST wrote "Not sure though which several methods other than forums have been used. I don't expect MAGIX to update their version of MSP 13 any more now that MVMSP 14 is out." I agree, not good at communicating and unlikely any more updates for 13P will be forthcoming.
by Videome

Posted 21 Mar 2017 21:55 #17
Videome wrote:"SONY or MAGIX are not big on making users aware of build changes. "

Actually, Sony/SCS used to make us aware of these changes. In my time with SCS (early 2011 to 2016) they informed on their forums, with NetNotify and in Online Help/ Latest updates. With the new releases and builds they also regularly published the usually rather informative Release Notes (which are still available as archived in addition to the apps' Readme files).

Unfortunately MAGIX has not adopted the same policy so far.

Further to the topic, I just re-read the MAGIX VEGAS P.O.'s article in vegas-magazine.com/vms-14-interface/
It is enlightening, even rather revealing, as to the strategy behind the MAGIX VEGAS Movie Studio product line. To me it also confirms my assumptions that they do not want their MS products to get too close for comfort with the Pro version. SCS did not seem to mind until maybe some of the somewhat unfortunate experimenting with their MSP 13.

A quote from the article explaining why some of the things (which may become deal breakers for me in addition to the contrast problems in the new modern GUI) were changed:
"---We worked closely with our customer support experts to identify topics that were consistently problematic for users and resulted in high support activity. Anything that we felt we could remove from the basic version without hampering important functionality, we did. Of course, they’re all still available in the Platinum version or in VEGAS Pro, so it’s not as if we made them unavailable. ---At some point, you may consider going all the way up to VEGAS Pro."

No doubt the MAGIX "higher ups" want existing users of MSP to upgrade to Pro, as e.g. I never received any MVMSP 14 upgrade offer until I asked their CS. I do get constant offers to upgrade my SVP 13 to MVP 14 through my NetNotify in both SMSP 13 and SVP 13... Interestingly enough it seems that you don't even need to have a previous version of MS product to "upgrade" at a special price to MSP/MSS 14. You just need to be lucky enough to have the email to take advantage of the offer. Yet another reason to pass this version as I may then be informed as a new customer and get a better deal of the next version? :)

(I guess I should ask myself why I even bother shouting into the wind about MVMSP 14 as I've got SVP 13.)
edit: (I just asked and replied that I've liked SMSP.)
by vkmast

Posted 21 Mar 2017 23:04 #18

vkmast wrote: Sony/SCS used to make us aware of these changes. In my time with SCS (early 2011 to 2016) they informed on their forums, with NetNotify and in Online Help/ Latest updates.

Excellent, can I put my hand up and claim, "Guilty"! There you have me, I was not a Sony forum member. Just goes to show that if you are not in the club, news is lacking. Yes, Sony did use net notify but then its use most definitely tailed off. Clearly, vkmast, your influence on Sony/SCS is sadly missed.

It's only Derek AKA as Dr Zen who has through his thorough tutorials and down to earth plain speaking that has encouraged me to join this forum. Having viewed other forums without actually joining in, comparatively, I have found the members here to be very informative and helpful.
by Videome

Posted 21 Mar 2017 23:20 #19
Videome, it seems I need to clarify one thing, i.e. "in my time with SCS" means "in my time as a paying customer using SCS apps" :)
I've never had any influence on the policies of Sony/SCS or worked in any video-related business...
Last Edit:21 Mar 2017 23:22 by vkmast

Posted 21 Mar 2017 23:28 #20

vkmast wrote: "in my time with SCS" means "in my time as a paying customer using SCS apps" :)

00ps!:blush: I am sure as an active Sony forum member you would have had some influence.:cheer:
Last Edit:25 Mar 2017 19:24 by Videome
The following user(s) said Thank You: huskereurocat

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.788 seconds