VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Why do some *.mov files show what they contain but others just contain the VLC icon

• pioneer
  • pioneer's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 34
Bit of a nuisance for me but can anybody explain to me why some *.mov files show what they contain but others just contain the VLC icon. Its not really a big deal but if I have several files such as flower1,2,3,4 etc I have to open them to find the one I want. Cheers John
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
Last Edit:07 Mar 2022 11:51 by pioneer
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I don't have VLC media player set as my Default media player for this exact reason!
My knowledge on VLC media player is very limited.
When video thumbnails don't generate, it normally means that Windows can't read/decode the metadata for a particular File Container/File Extension - normally this happens with more exotic video formats (non-standard).

On my computer I have Cyberlink PowerDVD set as the default media player - so keep that in mind with what I am about to say.

I experimented with many different solutions a few years back, until I finally found an app called Icaros.
I have no idea if this will fix your problem with VLC thumbnails, but it definitely works with PowerDVD or Windows Media Player set as the default player.

Icaros does not have an official website, but they do have a forum which keeps everyone up to date and download links for latest versions.
shark007.net/forum/Forum-Icaros-Development

Latest version can be downloaded from here:
www.mediafire.com/file/48om3pdzzhsj4ey/Icaros_v3.1.0.exe/file

Install and open Icaros.
Find the files extensions for videos that won't produce thumbnails and enter them into box at top.
Make sure to press THUMBNAILING so that it becomes Activated, after adding any missing file extensions.
You may find that just by installing Icaros, it automatically creates any missing thumbnails.
I recommend leaving the Cache turned off. If you turn this on, Icaros will scan your entire computer for missing thumbnails and generate them.
It can take many hours to do this and slow down your computer.

What normally happens, is that missing thumbnails are generated each time you open a specific folder.

I recommend that after you have setup Icaros, you refresh/delete the existing Windows Thumbnails Cache.
Sometimes old thumbnails get stuck and will not refresh by themselves - deleting the cache will force a refresh.
I use CCleaner to delete the Windows Thumbnail Cache.
If you don't want to use CCleaner, you can get Windows to do it for you as well.
www.windowscentral.com/how-reset-thumbnail-cache-windows-10

ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:

• pioneer
  • pioneer's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 5
  • Zen Level 5
  • Thank you received: 34
Thank you Derek, a very comprehensive reply, thank you for taking the time I will try what you suggest. Cheers John
Please be aware that NSA/GCHQ are probably admiring my comments and sent images.
by pioneer
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.735 seconds