VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Render As question

• sargan
  • sargan's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 9

Render As question was created by sargan

Posted 24 Feb 2015 08:22 #1
Have a large quantity of source material .. that is 720 x 576 25p (SVHS video)
Once editing finished ... what is the most suitable format for “Render as” ........ this is to be burnt onto DVD for playing on Wide Screen TV’s

I have used Main Concept '=' match project ... 'DVD Program Stream PAL'

This is going to play (assumed) in 4:3 on a wide screen TV

I have tried a few wide screen templates but these end up with black bars either side.

Is there a recommended way of dealing with this ?
by sargan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Render As question

Posted 24 Feb 2015 09:18 #2
Hi Sargan

I have also worked with a lot of old style 4:3 video.
The MPEG2 output format to use is DVD Architect PAL video stream - this is for 4:3 video.
Then in DVD Architect set everything to 16:9 Widescreen.

You are going to have black bars on either side when working with this older 4:3 aspect ratio video - this is something you have to live with when viewing old video on modern TV screens. The alternative is to convert your 4:3 video into 16:9 widescreen when you are still inside Vegas. However I am not a fan of doing this, because you end up loosing too much resolution and also the top and bottom of your video. Then it is going to be viewed on a modern HD TV screen, so the picture quality may look very pixelated.

If your original video is reasonable quality and you don't mind loosing the top and bottom of your video, you can easily convert your videos to widescreen in Vegas.
To do this, set your Project Properties to the PAL DV Widescreen (720x576, 25.000fps) template.
Then use Event Pan/Crop tool for each video and set preset to 16:9 Widescreen TV Aspect Ratio.
After doing this you may see thin black lines on either side of video. To fix this, right-click each video, go to Switches and turn OFF Maintain Aspect Ratio.
Finally you can then render to DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• sargan
  • sargan's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 9

Replied by sargan on topic Render As question

Posted 24 Feb 2015 20:41 #3
Thanks .. it was as I expected :)

Keep up the great work
Last Edit:28 Mar 2015 01:23 by sargan

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.710 seconds