VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved En block rendering

• Peter
  • Peter's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4
  • Thank you received: 90

En block rendering was created by Peter

Posted 27 Feb 2015 11:10 #1
This morning was a little disappointing!
Went to bed last night with my computer rendering and set to burn a BD-R disc.
Alas - this morning the machine was in shut down mode and no disc having been burnt.

So, knowing that the computer is set to not shut down and before I try again - here is a question that may prevent a recurrence of an unknown problem with what I am attempting.

8 videos are brought onto the MS time line - all 1920*1080 60p HD MPEG4. The cumulative videos add to 1 hour 10 mins of video. There are 19GB of material.
They were placed on the time line to render to 60i (that what resulted in the computer working for approx 6 hours)
The sequence of "make movie" was used and render and burn chosen.
The appropriate selections were made.
MPEG2 at 26Mb/s

Any reason standing out why the process failed.
The project folder was empty - ie, the headings were created but contained nothing.
One thing that may give a hint!
When I started up MS again this morning it stated that the process had not finalised correctly but the project could be opened from the last auto save. When that was opened - it was everything before any attempt at rendering had occurred

Ideas please - don't really want to run the same procedure again tonight if there is some silly reason that would just result in the same occurring

Regards Peter
by Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic En block rendering

Posted 27 Feb 2015 12:48 #2
Movie Studio cannot turn your computer off, so the first thing you need to check is your Windows Power Settings.
Go to Windows Control Panel - Power Settings.
You may have to go deep into the settings by selecting Change Plan Settings and then Advanced Settings.
I have an old tutorial on this topic here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/257-speed-up-rendering-times-in-sony-vegas

If the render did not complete, then it means it crashed at some point.
The cause is most likely to be a specific Video Effect you added. If you push some Video Effects too far, they can overload your RAM and cause crash.
Which Video Effects did you use ?
Did you add an NewBlue Titler events ?
If you set your computer to not go to sleep/shut down, it should tell you at what point the render failed.
Try rendering when you are awake so you can see what is happening.

What type of computer are you using ?
Laptop or Desktop ?
CPU model ?
RAM installed ?
Graphics Card model ?
Are your Graphics Card drivers up to date ?

Do you have your Graphics Card turned on in the Movie Studio preferences ?
Go to Options/Preferences/Video
Do you have Dynamic RAM preview set to 200MB ? Setting this higher can cause MPEG2 rendering to fail.

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Replied by Peter on topic En block rendering

Posted 27 Feb 2015 14:09 #3
I realise that my settup is not ideal for performance nor speed - but to crash - that is a first time. Realise that Movie Studio cannot turn the computer off.

Answering your points - directly so as not to waste space.

Windows Power Settings.
Set to never sleep on all advanced settings

If the render did not complete, then it means it crashed at some point.
The cause is most likely to be a specific Video Effect you added.
Which Video Effects did you use ? No video effects used - only text overlay added for short periods during specific video (max 20 seconds duration - plain with no animation)
Did you add an NewBlue Titler events ? No
If you set your computer to not go to sleep/shut down, it should tell you at what point the render failed. Where is this info to be found?
Try rendering when you are awake so you can see what is happening. Trying now

What type of computer are you using ?
Desktop
CPU model AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad core 2.2 GHz
RAM installed 4GB
Graphics Card model NVIDIA GeForce GT 630
Are your Graphics Card drivers up to date ? Yes (340.5.2)

Do you have your Graphics Card turned on in the Movie Studio preferences ? Only CPU
Go to Options/Preferences/Video
Do you have Dynamic RAM preview set to 200MB Yes

Regards
Peter
by Peter

Posted 27 Feb 2015 14:47 #4
Maybe your computer is over-heating and that is why it is shutting down.
I actually feel this is the most likely cause, because the project you described is very vanilla and should not be crashing.
This would make sense, because rendering HD video is one of the most stressful things you can do to a CPU.
This actually happened to myself many years ago, when all I had to edit video was a laptop. Computer kept shutting down during long renders.
I opened the laptop up and discovered that the fins around heatsink were completely blocked with dust and the fan was barely moving.

You didn't tell me whether you have a Desktop or Laptop computer. Either way, you need to open your computer up and inspect the cooling device for CPU.
It is perfectly safe to do and something that you must do every 6 to 12 months.
If you have a Desktop computer and have never cleaned the inside, I guarantee that your CPU cooler will be completely blocked up with dust.
It can be difficult to remove this dust with only a vacuum cleaner. Buy a can of Compressed Air to make the job a lot easier.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 27 Feb 2015 15:45 #5
Hi Derek,

Agreed - I also wondered about over heating.
Referring to that - I do keep the heat sinks clean - tooth pick and removal of fan units makes it easier.
Still - shall see how things go.
Peter

PS did mention that it is a Desk top - have a look again!
Many thanks
by Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 28 Feb 2015 11:16 #6
OK,

Waited until 92% done - and couldn't stay any later - seemed to be ok.
Woke up and the computer and screen still active.
Message - burn failure - no message!

Looked at disc and there is a burn in place!
Except its a AVCHD when Mainconcept MPEG2 was selected (am I being dumb?).
No audio! - Is it possible to select video without the audio timeline being attached?
The size of the file is fine and all visuals play ok.
Somewhat bewildered - but off to the UK tomorrow, so will play with it all when I arrive back.
Oh what fun it is to learn

Regards,

peter
by Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 28 Feb 2015 13:46 #7
Hi Derek,
Getting the feeling that my situation is not really for a forum and some sort of local course or face to face would be more polite! - but will just impose once more!

Since I appear at present not to be able to generate a correcly burnt Blu- ray disc - and have looked carefully at the appropriate tutorials - I have attempted to investigate where the problem may be arising.
So:
1. With a very short video (1920*1080-60p)AVC
In MS 11 - ensuring the media settings were matched I simply "rendered as" to 1920*1080-30p
Everything ok and I know where the resulting files were placed.

2. Then took the same piece of video.
Used the option - "Make Movie"
selected Blu-ray
Set it to "Render Image only"
I selected "Video format as Sony AVC 1920*1080-60i at 10Mb/sec to allow for rapid render
This completed correctly and indicated that the image was ok

Question - Where is that image (file) placed? I would like to know as I would like to visually observe the resulting quality. At present have not been able to find it - and did look up the path but only found files that were not viewable

This then makes me ask:

Is it better to take the original 1920*1080-60p and select "render as" then save it and then use that file in the option "Make movie"?
If so, will it be re-rendered (re-compressed or under go "smart rendering")
Doing the prep in this manner would allow for right hand selection on the time line to disable smart sampling as well as other customisation if wished for.

or

Just blindly take the original 1920*1080-60p video and use the "Make movie" option directly - which allows for a choice of Sony or Mainstream without any customisation. No other customisation.

I am going to get a large notebook - then just experiment and make notes!

If you do answer a few of these points_ I hope they may help some other poor soul because I presume I'm not the only one wondering.

8' of snow during the last month has finally resulted in crazy cabin fever

Peter
by Peter

Posted 28 Feb 2015 14:37 #8
I should have asked you a very simple question before it got this far.
I assumed you were only rendering a video file - I did not know you were attempting to burn a Blu-ray disc all at the same time.
My guess is that your video file is too big for the disc.

I never burn discs directly from the timeline.
I can't see in your messages which version of the program you are actually using, but you did mention V11.
In that case, please read/watch this tutorial. It will explain how to render your project, ready to be sent to DVD Architect.
This is a much better method, because you can see what is going on along all the steps.
How to Render Video for DVD/Blu-ray with Menus using Sony Vegas Pro

All your previous attempts for creating a video, will be located in the Movie Studio Cache.
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum\11.0
This is another reason why I don't like burning discs from the timeline, because your video files are hidden.
Learn the method in my tutorial and them your videos will be saved in your projects folder. You will also learn that the Video and Audio files are rendered separately.

In the event that your rendered video is BIGGER than 25GBs, you will have to use a Bit Rate calculator to create custom bit rates for rendering your video file
OR
Buy 50GB Blu-ray discs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter

• Peter
  • Zen Level 4
  • Zen Level 4

Posted 28 Feb 2015 15:45 #9
Persevere and good things happen.

OK - I'm using Movie Studio HD Platinum version 11
Penny dropped and realised that I read the burnt disc direct from the writer - no audio - but nice video. It's a writer not a player as such.(Samsung SE506
Played the disc on a Blu-ray player and bingo - perfect video and audio. TV - perfection
Also, the video file came to 21 GB total - nice fit.
So in the end I do have a correctly burnt disc - sorry I was not clear on what I was attempting to achieve.
The only thing that remains is the strange "failure" message that awaits me after the rendering/ burning - shall see if it happens again.

One last point before putting this finally to sleep.

You mention that you never burn discs directly from the timeline.
Unless your are referring to my other mental wanderings, as far as I understand - neither am I.
I bring in a video on to time line - press make movie, select render and burn - collect finished article as indicated in the tutorial for Blu-ray without a menu(s).
Will move on to the tutorial with menus as suggested
OK - closed and thank you for your time and patience

Peter
by Peter

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.024 seconds