VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Help

• Ray
  • Ray's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 0

Help was created by Ray

Posted 20 Oct 2015 00:34 #1
How can I eliminate the black bars on the left and right side of my video? It doesn't initially have them while recording my video it and my TV monitor but after I upload it to my video editing software and viewing it within the software I see the black bars in my video.
by Ray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Help

Posted 20 Oct 2015 06:08 #2
Hi Ray

Which exact program and version are you using ?

I guess from what you have said, that you have been making video screen captures of game play.
Most widescreen video like you see on YouTube, DVDs and Blu-rays, uses an Aspect Ratio of 16:9.
All TV screens use this Aspect Ratio and most computer monitors do as well, however some Computer Monitors use a different aspect ratio like 16:10.
If you video capture from a 16:10 monitor and import this into a normal 16:9 project, you are going to get black bars appearing.

To fix this, you need to open Event Pan/Crop and set the preset to 16:9 Widescreen. This will zoom in slightly and make the video fullscreen.
To open Event Pan/Crop, press the icon in bottom right corner of all videos on timeline.

I have an old tutorial on this topic which you can watch here.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/74-how-to-make-gameplay-videos-fullscreen-using-sony-vegas-movie-studio-hd-platinum-11

Regards
Derek.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Ray
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Ray on topic Help

Posted 20 Oct 2015 06:35 #3
At the moment I'm using movie studio 13.. do I need to set my video camera to record 16:9 aspect ratio before recording as well?
by Ray

Posted 20 Oct 2015 06:41 #4
Yes you need to set to 16:9 in the video camera !
Which brand and model camera are you using ?

There will be many different settings you can choose from normally.
I recommend setting the camera to it's highest recording level.
Once I know the model of your camera, I can advise more specifically.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Ray
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by Ray on topic Help

Posted 20 Oct 2015 06:49 #5
Sony Handycam hdr-
fx7
by Ray

Posted 20 Oct 2015 07:15 #6
Make sure to record in HDV format and not DV.
HDV will give you maximum 1080i quality.
It looks like it actually records to 1440x1080i, which means it is really important that you set your Project Properties correctly Movie Studio/Vegas Pro.
1440x1080i uses a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.3333 (HDV 1080) - if this is what your video has been recorded to, you must set this properly, otherwise your video will look squished and only 4:3 Aspect Ratio instead of 16:9.

Which Sony program and version are you using ?
Did you use the Capture Video function to import video from DV tape into computer ?
Last Edit:27 Oct 2015 00:05 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.800 seconds