VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum Now and Free 14 in February

• Eagle Six
  • Eagle Six's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
  • Thank you received: 567
I just received an email announcing a deal to purchase/upgrade to Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum between now and September 29th for $59.95 USD and it includes a free upgrade to Magix Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum when it is released in February, 2017.

There is also a similar deal to upgrade/purchase the Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum Suite between now and September 29th for $89.95 USD and it includes a free upgrade to Magix Vegas Movie Studio 14 Platinum Suite when it is released in February, 2017.

This sounds like the similar deal Magix offered back in July and August for the Vegas Pro 13 + Free version 14.

For those of us already using Sony Movie Studio 13 Platinum, I would imagine, like the Vegas Pro deal, there will be an upgrade path for current users in February. For those user on previous versions prior to Movie Studio 13, this might be a really good deal.

CAUTION: The first attempt Magix made to issue a branding release for Vegas Pro 13 had some problems (build 543). Within days they issued the latest Vegas Pro 13 build 545 which fix many of the issues, although there are some third party plug-ins which still do not work with this latest version. I would suspect that maybe this Movie Studio offered above, is the same. It is rebranded to reflect 'Magix' in place of 'Sony' and has the fixes they also applied to the Vegas Pro 13 build 545, but may also not allow certain plug-ins which some users of previous version may be accustom to using. I don't know this for fact, just suspicion on my part.

I'll be downloading the trial version to determine the build number and how it looks.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Eagle Six
  • Eagle Six's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
  • Thank you received: 567
I downloaded and installed the Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum from the offer above. It is build 960. I tried various FX including some BBC, Hitfilm, Boris, Twixter and Vegas. The 'Vegas' FX's are the same as the old 'Sony' which have been simply rebranded with the Magix name. For example in the Movie Studio 13 Platinum build 955 from Sony it was 'Sony Stabilize'. In this latest build 960 from Magix it is named 'Vegas Stabilize'. I also tried the NewBlue Titler EX which seem to work fine. My tinkering around consisted of about 15 minutes, so there is no way to determine if there are any flaws in this new build, however, everything I touched worked fine. I didn't render out but all my previous templates were available (I allowed the trial version to update an earlier installed version, so everything looked and felt the same).

For those users on Movie Studio 12 Platinum or earlier, interested in upgrading to the new Magix version 14 in February, this seems like a good deal. For those already on version 13, it may be worth waiting until Magix releases the upgrade deal for them, which most likely will not occur until the release in February.

NOTE: When Magix announced the Vegas Pro 13 + Free 14 deal, those who elected to buy did not have to provide any proof they had a previous version. If this deal is the same, this would be an excellent opportunity for anyone who doesn't have Movie Studio, but interested in getting the latest version at a sale price, this seems like an extra special deal, especially the Suite package.

I'll be interested to hear what Derek and the other members here think about this deal.

UPDATED: I now remember a thread on a forum about build 960 will not support VASST extensions. I don't have VASST extensions (actually I don't have any extensions in my Movie Studio), so I cannot test this. Of course this wouldn't effect users not using these extensions, but something to consider. This also doesn't mean the version 14 will not support extension such as VASST. Perhaps vkmast or Derek have additional information concerning this.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:12 Sep 2016 09:12 by Eagle Six

February 2017 is still a long way off from now. What I am about to say may sound negative, however I am only reflecting on the 100's and 100's of comments I have received on my YouTube channel about version 13 of Movie Studio Platinum.

Because Movie Studio Platinum 13 is now well over 2 years old, anyone that wanted to upgrade to this version has probably already done so. Most of the people who have not upgraded to V13, have deliberately made that choice because they don't like the dumbed down design of the User Interface. I think most people will want to see what version 14 is going to look like before donating to a unknown cause. My personal advise would be to wait and see what Magix comes up with first. They will still be offering the same upgrade pricing when version 14 actually is released.

It's also wiser to stick with the Sony version of Movie Studio, which definitely works well with all 3rd party plugins.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by vkmast on topic Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum Now and Free 14 in February

Posted 12 Sep 2016 17:21 #4
So far MAGIX has not released a build to correct the bugs MS Platinum 13 MAGIX build 960 introduced. As noted they patched their first MAGIX-branded build of Vegas Pro 13. I believe most of us existing MSP 13 users will agree with what the good Doc Derek just wrote. I most certainly will stick to MS Platinum 13 build 955 (and at times may even use MSP 12 b 896) until I'm sure they have not messed up MS Platinum 14.

At the moment they seem to go by what their Marketing dept. expects, cf. the new space-wasting (on PC) structure of the new forum to entice smart-phone users. I have a sneaking feeling that the consumer version layout will be even more "updated" in a "touch-friendlier" direction.
And a bit OT, they even seem to mix up Advanced vs Expanded Edit mode in the new comparison tables.

And once again, stay away from the basic Movie Studio 13 version, still available from MAGIX.

Btw, I have still not received any email notices regarding Vegas Pro/Movie Studio. I don't think the transfer of the email databases was managed very well.
It seems this is one of the more minor glitches in the transition so far though.
Last Edit:12 Sep 2016 17:58 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Like Vkmast, I am still waiting to receive my FIRST email from Magix.
If Vegas Pro 14 is released by the end of this month, this will be a BIG test to see if I receive an email.

As soon as Vegas Pro 14 is released, it would be great if someone let's us all know if they have received an email. I don't want to be left in the dark on this major news item.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:03 Dec 2016 16:23 by DoctorZen

Replied by vkmast on topic Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum Now and Free 14 in February

Posted 15 Sep 2016 10:23 #6
Still no Vegas email offers, but today my MSP 10 and 11 opened with a "Sony Net Notify" (from Magix) pop-up window, which had links to the MSP 13+14 upgrade offer Eagle Six mentions above. Interestingly, MSP 12 did not show this offer. Neither did MSP 13, which is logical I suppose. "Use Net Notify" is checked in General Prefs. of all.

Btw, MAGIX has released build 967 of (MAGIX) VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum 13. It's reported to fix the bugs introduced in build 960.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by JoeWest on topic Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum 967 update

Posted 30 Nov 2016 23:05 #7
Hello, I'm new to movie studio platinum, I've been trying to find the download link for both ms and dvda.

When I click help... sony on the web... latest updates, I'm taken to the magix website with no clue of a link to the update.

After much digging, I found a page where I could provide serial numbers and download the entire programs.

These downloads did not mention any build #s, and I doubt these are what I'm trying to find.

Seems you have had better luck finding build updates. Would you mind providing a direct link? Thanks
by JoeWest

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum 967 update

Posted 01 Dec 2016 00:17 #8
Hi Joe

If you have just bought Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13, you should have received an email immediately from Magix that contains download links and serial activation numbers. If your email has not arrived yet, check your Spam/Junk mail folders.

You can also login to your new Magix account and download from there.

If you bought Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 13 many months ago when Sony owned this product, you can download Movie Studio and DVD Architect from the Sony Archive here download.sonymediasoftware.com/current/

Look for:
moviestudiope13.0.955_64bit.exe
and
dvdarchitectstudio5.0.186.exe

Regards
Derek

Replied by JoeWest on topic Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum 967 update

Posted 01 Dec 2016 00:55 #9
Thanks for the quick reply! I just bought 13 Plat from Best Buy and I installed and did the "online registration", but nothing was emailed to me.

I had a post on another site asking about it before I found your site this morning, and vkmast helped me there .... Hi vk!

Anyway, another poster mentioned that an upgrade from Magix merely amounted to a renaming of the product to the Magix brand. My current builds are 186 for dvda and 932 for msp. Honestly, if the update is purely to get the Magix brand, I suppose I'm ok the way it is. But, if there really are glitches, I'm very interested in getting them fixed before I change over from Adobe PE to this Sony software.

I do many VHS to DVD conversions using the Canopus 300 and after purchasing PE 15 I was very upset to find it did not include a video capture module for DV. I had to revert to a version. 10 and 11 of PE that I had.

I upgraded my PC recently from XP to Win.7 64bit and lost my beloved DVD Workshop to the new OS. Hence, the conversion to Movie Studio Platinum which has both need modules. (just that I'm getting too old to relearn everything, so I have been lax on pulling the trigger on the change.)

I really thank everyone who has helped me.
Last Edit:01 Dec 2016 00:57 by JoeWest

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum 967 update

Posted 01 Dec 2016 14:25 #10
Earlier this year, Sony sold all Vegas Pro and Movie Studio products to Magix Software.
The boxed version you bought from Best Buy is a Sony branded version - last of the Sony stock.
Only if you had bought the Download version, would you have received an email.

Check for updates function in old Sony branded products, no longer works, because Sony has nothing to do with programs anymore and links are now dead. I would recommend NOT upgrading to the Magix version and sticking with last Sony version only, which is build #955. This is the same build version I am using myself.
You can download that directly from this archival link: moviestudiope13.0.955_64bit.exe

Your DVD Architect version is up to date.

I thought the Canopus device would have come with capture software ?
Last Edit:01 Dec 2016 14:25 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.860 seconds