VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Upgrade offer from Magix - Movie Studio Platinum 13 to VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum 14

• Tomsr
  • Tomsr's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi: Not sure where to ask this question. But here goes:
Was running Suite 10 a few years ago. Two years ago I purchased Movie studio suite 12 to update my program. Had trouble installing the update. Gave up and continued to use MSS 10. Recently after getting the windows 10 upgrade I was able to install MSS 12. So far I have just checked the tutorials.
A few days ago, I got an offer from MAGIX to purchase MS suite 13 for $59.00 with a future free update to MSS 14. The offer expires on Sept 29th.
Is that an offer that I should consider? What would be the advantage, if any?
Thanks, Tom
Last Edit:17 Sep 2016 02:11 by Tomsr

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Tomsr

It's totally up to you if you want to upgrade to V13 now and V14 later.
Magix (new owners) are just trying to generate some cash for themselves, while we all wait.

When version 14 is actually released in February 2017, I'm sure there will still be a great upgrade offer available.
Many people who currently use version 12, are still happy with version 12.
A lot of people didn't like version 13, because Sony dumbed down the User Interface, however the program still works OK.

The only real advantage of version 13 is if you work with 4K video.

It's probably best to wait and see what version 14 ends up looking like, before donating money to Magix, however it is a good offer.

Regards
Derek
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:17 Sep 2016 13:44 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Relating to upgrading, I found this page well hidden somewhere in MAGIX site FAQ
support2.magix.com/customer/vegas/upgrade

I did not proceed to see the pricing.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

HI Tomsr,

I also received the version upgrade e-mail, though I already have MSPS 13 on both of my computers, and did purchase the Vegas Pro 13 update for my "heavier" rig, mainly for better 4K video editing. Just so you know, be careful on how you "read" the upgrade. The main $59.99 deal is only for Movie Studio. Further down in the e-mail lists if you want to get the full-blown Platinum/Suite version, which is another $30.00. Our Good Doctor has posted previously about the update to Version 13 with his thoughts, and had I not already had Version 13 on both rigs, probably would not have purchased the upgrade until more information/testing done in the community. So it still comes down to what you need to accomplish, and does your current editing style work with the version you have? Only you can answer that. I know Eagle Six "George" is doing a lot of testing with the build updates, as well as vkmast and Richard Jones, so I would also keep an eye out on their updated posts concerning both Pro and Studio with their results. I know I am.

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

Mike, a small clarification regarding this offer.
(MAGIX) VEGAS Movie Studio Platinum 13 + 14 $59.95
(MAGIX) VEGAS Movie Studio Suite 13 + 14 $89.95
Available only until September 29, 2016.

The basic Movie Studio is not mentioned in the offer.

Otherwise I fully agree with what Derek and George have written about the topic.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

vkmast wrote: Relating to upgrading, I found this page well hidden somewhere in MAGIX site FAQ
support2.magix.com/customer/vegas/upgrade

I did not proceed to see the pricing.

I followed the Movie Studio Platinum. Soon as you select, it asks for a serial number. I entered a serial number for Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum. The price to upgrade to Magix Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum come up as $39.00 USD. This does not include a free version 14.

When selected Vegas Pro, and enter the serial number of my Sony Vegas Pro 13, the price for Magix Vegas Pro 13 upgrade was $199 USD.

I'm not advocating a decision for either of these, just pecked around to see what would happen and reporting the results.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, vkmast

George, is this correct?
"When selected Vegas Pro, and enter the serial number of my Sony Vegas Pro 13, the price for Magix Vegas Pro 13 upgrade was $199 USD."

Btw, I think the current MAGIX site Support pages need fine-tuning. A lot.
Last Edit:17 Sep 2016 07:47 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

vkmast wrote: George, is this correct?
"When selected Vegas Pro, and enter the serial number of my Sony Vegas Pro 13, the price for Magix Vegas Pro 13 upgrade was $199 USD."

I figured you would be the first person to catch that :) No typo! That is the price it presented!! My theory is, regardless of the serial number you enter, the upgrade price is going to be the same. If a user was on something like 12 or earlier, that would make sense, as the deal for 13 + free 14 has expired. I think whoever programmed the cross reference of serial numbers didn't link it to the version number, maybe just to identify that it was a Vegas Pro serial number.

I wanted to enter a serial number for a previous version of Sony Vegas Pro, but I only have 13. Maybe you could try, I think you have previous serial numbers. It takes you to a shopping cart page, which I just closed after reading it.

vkmast wrote: Btw, I think the current MAGIX site Support pages need fine-tuning. A lot.

.......yep, I agree. A lot!! I'm thinking all the Sony hotshot programming staff that went to Magix, along with some of the hotshot programmers added to them from Magix, Magix placed in sealed room with no windows and no phones until they get 14 released. Then they have been using 2nd or 3rd tier programmers for the branding releases, and the typical (not so technical) writers for the website pages!!! Just my feeble theories! I could be way off base.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, vkmast

Yes, I get the same "13 upgrade (!)" offer with Sony VP13 serial number. The funny thing of course is that in no way it's an upgrade, not even an update but only re-branding as discussed everywhere. We'd understand if it was for v 14, but seemingly no, at the moment anyway.

And I don't think you're too far off the base. It seems there are now (at least) two evolving (I hope) versions of Support pages and the writers are busy copying old SCS KB items on separate assignments without any coordination. Luckily, they seem to have got at least the rebranded builds about usable by now.
by vkmast

• Tomsr
  • Tomsr's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 2
Thank you. I will stand pat for now. I'll probably work with 12 for the foreseeable future. Tom
by Tomsr
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 1.240 seconds