VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

• 9190's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 3

Sony MSP fails for precise work with video was created by 9190

Posted 02 Jan 2017 00:00 #1
I'm disappointed, because I found that Video Preview window shows not exactly, what it will be on the final rendered video. For example, video starts from the (Legacy) Text. And after it main video starts. Between them there are fade out (Text) and fade in (main video). And in Preview window it looks like when text completely faded out, the video starts to fade in already in the next frame. But on the final video there are about 6-7 frames of complete darkness before video starts to show. I checked final video in Media Player Classic - Home Cinema and in Windows Media Player. And in both cases I have this situation. That's why I was disappointed, because it means, I can't trust to Video Preview window, which is the main instrument in the program. The Time display also shows not exactly, what media player shows on final video, when I move frame by frame and watch its time counter. All that means that Sony Movie Studio Platinum is fails for precise work with video.
Last Edit:11 Jan 2017 23:06 by 9190

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 02 Jan 2017 01:32 #2
Hi 9190

Which exact program and version of Movie Studio Platinum are you using ?

I can guess as to what your problem actually is, but can't comment until I know which version of the program you are using.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by 9190 on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 02 Jan 2017 02:24 #3
Hello,
I use Movie Studio Platinum Version 13.0 (Build 954), 32-bit version. I use separate (upper) Video track for (Legacy) Text at the beginning, and my main video is on another Video track. Did you try to emulate this and to check how transitions are precise comparing Video Preview window with final video? I think many people just don't pay such a meticulous attention to that and therefore don't suspect anything.
by 9190

Replied by ericlnz on topic Sony MSP fails for precise work with video

Posted 02 Jan 2017 09:44 #4
I've not come across this and I'm possibly mere meticulous than you but two things to bear in mind as it is only a preview:

1 - What preview quality are you using? What appears on your screen will vary between Draft and Best.

2 - Is your project frame rate the same as your proposed export. For example I shoot PAL 50i and export 50i. But my project is only 25 fps which means in preview I only get to see every other deinterlaced frame. This can occasionally result in unexpected extra frames when rendering. For accurate editing/preview I need to set the project to 50fps.
by ericlnz

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 02 Jan 2017 09:57 #5
I have "Preview (Auto)".
My video source is smartphone: 1280x720, 29,817 FPS, AVC
My project is: 1280x720; 29,817p
Rendering: MainConcept AVC/AAC, Internet HD 720p. I tried both 29,970 (NTSC) and "Allow source to adjust frame rate" (i.e. 29,817) – final results were the same.
by 9190

Posted 02 Jan 2017 09:58 #6
There is nothing wrong with the program.
ericlnz is correct in what he has suggested you look at.

Depending on your project settings, the Video Preview window will often lag during play back, which means it will be dropping some frames to try and keep up. This is normal behaviour for any video editing program.

To avoid lag in the Preview Window, you must make sure your Project Property settings match your Source Video properties, otherwise you may see frame skipping due to mismatched frame rates. Setting the Preview Window to Preview Auto, will help smoother play back, although the image may appear blurry. If you want to inspect transitions frame by frame, line up the timeline cursor at point you want to inspect - zoom in using mouse on wheel, then use forward arrow to progress one frame at a time.

I suggest you read/watch this tutorial:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/553-sony-vegas-zen-tips-3-preview-lag

and also this one:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/551-sony-vegas-zen-tips-1-video-blurry
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:02 Jan 2017 10:05 by DoctorZen

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 02 Jan 2017 10:04 #7

DoctorZen wrote: Depending on your project settings, the Video Preview window will often lag during play back, which means it will be dropping some frames to try and keep up. This is normal behaviour for any video editing program.

That's not about playback lag etc. I was talking about checking frame by frame (not playback) in Video Preview window. And then compared final video. And there is significant difference, how transitions perform.

DoctorZen wrote: To avoid lag in the Preview Window, you must make sure your Project Property settings match your Source Video properties.

Yes, they match. Just wrote it few seconds before your message.
by 9190

Posted 02 Jan 2017 10:15 #8
I can assure you that no one else is experiencing the same problem as yourself, which means there is something specific about the type of video your are using and/or your settings that are causing this problem.

I think I know what the problem actually is, thanks to your report.
You said that your video comes from a smart phone. Mobile phone video is notorious for causing problems, due to the weird way many phones record the frame rate. iPhone video is the worst of the worst, but other brands also have problems.
A frame rate of 29.817 fps is not a standard frame rate.
It should be 29.97 fps or 30 fps.

What I normally recommend people do, is first convert the phone video into a normal frame rate, using a Video Conversion program.
I use Any Video Converter free version or Handbrake.fr and convert to .mp4 H.264
I posted instructions on how to do this here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/general-discussion/1241-hi-i-am-a-new-member-and-looking-for-guidance-with-using-sony-editing-products-for-content-shot-with-my-iphone#5666
The following user(s) said Thank You: 9190

• Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 02 Jan 2017 10:33 #9
Thank you. Will try to convert first (probably, during this operation the quality will be lost a bit). I have not iPhone, but still… also was thinking that problem could come from smartphone's way to record video.

Maybe you could recommend some not expensive video cameras? I would need it exclusively for indoor filming under incandescent lamps (so, not enough light). Maximum length of my videoclips will be 5-6 minutes. No active actions (will use tripod). I will sit and play piano. How about GoPro Hero 5? It has good abilities for self-recording (remote wireless control through smartphone). But I don't know will it give real visible advantage in quality comparing with smartphone. And generally I care more about audio quality, than video. That's why I actually doubt about sense to buy separate video camera.
by 9190

Posted 02 Jan 2017 10:34 #10
Additional important information

There is a render setting that I also recommend is turned OFF.
Make sure Allow source to adjust frame rate is off.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 9190

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.919 seconds