VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

First of all, many thanks for MSZ for all the help in the last few years. I make the freshwater underwater Youtube series about Vermont called I See Fish People. I've been shooting in 1080 24p and 1080 30 and I am trying to do this seasons videos on the HERO 5 at 2.7K 60fps and perhaps some 1080 120fps for slomo. All need to be rendered to 16:9 1080 60fps. Some of these are show on local PBS as interstitial material and I think need to end up at 1080 3ofps. Here are my computers stats:

3 GHz Core i5-3330
RAM 8 GB DDR3
Hard Drive 1 TB SATA
Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD Graphics 2000
Card Description integrated
I have an extra 2TB internal drive too.
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD5FC5BA1BE0B317C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

Posted 22 Mar 2017 04:09 #2
Hi Ben,

My reply is going to be of limited value because I don't use MSP14, rather SMS13P and SVP13. However you should have an option in ver 14 similar to ver 13 which allows you to make proxy files which should run faster and smoother regardless of your system capability for processing 2.7K source media. Whether that would be satisfactory for editing I would not know. Derek, or Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan, or other members more familiar with your i5 would be much more knowledgeable than I and I'm sure they will contribute.

The other option you should have is converting the HERO 5 footage to Cineform before adding the MSP14, which you can easily do with GoPro Studio. In my experience the Cineform format (AVI wrapper) run much faster and smoother on an old duo quad computer I used to have. However, editing preview speed and smooth playback is on the front end of processing, and rendering is on the back end and your render I would assume are going to take a while longer than you are accustom to producing 1080 HD. If your typically can render overnight or while you are away from the computer, these longer render times may not be of great concern.

Obviously a newer 6 or 8 core (12 or 16 thread) CPU and additional RAM would provide much better processing power than the 5 year old i5, but that doesn't mean your system will not be capable enough for your purposes. I would say, if you are struggling now to keep up with deadlines producing 1080 HD, it may well be disappointing processing 2.7K. You may benefit by adding a graphics card processor (GPU), but throwing money into your old box may not be the best and most economical upgrade path by the end results. I did this with my old box, updated the GPU, added additional memory, additional drives, and although it helped and bought me some time, no much time and in the end I upgraded to an i7-6800K (6 core 12 thread) CPU which is pretty good with 4K footage and I am much happier now, even though I initially was trying to avoid spending the money!

If it were me, I would do a simple test. If you don't as yet have the HERO 5, there are probably places on the web to download some 2.7K GoPro footage that you can test on your current system. Even from others who are more familiar with the power of the i5 (or lack of power), who can advise of it's capability with 2.7K source media, everyone is different with different expectations. A test in your system should quickly determine your level of satisfaction or discontent.

BTW, I watched a couple of your productions, nice work.
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:22 Mar 2017 04:10 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, BenMaddox

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

Posted 22 Mar 2017 05:33 #3
Hi Ben,

Since George "Eagle Six" mentioned me, thought I'd give a quick reply. Most of what he mentioned is correct. That processor started release to public in the Third Quarter of 2012, so basically 5 years old. It is an "Ivy Bridge" processor (code name at time), a quad core with no Hyper Threading. Basically, you've got four cores, and all you're getting. The chip George mentioned he updated to for comparison, is a 6 core with Hyper Threading: basically six "physical" cores, and six "logical" cores. Typically for editing, this is the stuff we are looking for to lower our render times. We already know that Sony, and now Magix, with the way the program is written, does not utilize the Graphics Processor as much. One exception is your Intel HD Graphics 2000 (Intel lists yours as an HD 2500 on their website - Microsoft shows it as 2000 - don't worry).

I do have a GoPro 5 Hero, but have never done anything besides either 4K, or the 1080 30 or 60p. I went back to a 4K display on this computer (my other one has had one for a couple of years now) as that UltraWide 21:9 screen ratio didn't do much for me, outside of editing, and even then, I wasn't quite as impressed. Your current processor should be able to handle the 1080 styles with no problem, but with considering going to 2.7K and 4K, it is going to struggle.

Yes, George makes a great point about chasing upgrades, and finally just getting a new computer (he probably likes it, bet it took a lot of Honey-Do work though :) ). There are a few Tech Channels I follow on YouTube that talk about older hardware, but they always build for gaming. I posted in one of the other topics recently within the last few days on my experience using a GoPro Hero 5 Black, GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and two different Canon cameras for about 35 minutes of mixed footage, rendering to the Sony XAVC format at 4k24p - roughly two hours with only White Balance, Color and Correction, LUT applied. Just sucked that I didn't know how long it was going to take, and tied up both of my desktops for over two hours each :( Oh well, at least I had a really old laptop I could use in the meantime so did my bills.

Since you post to YouTube, you may want to check out "JayzTwoCents" as he just posted a video about using the AMD Ryzen rig he built for editing videos. Don't think you would need the "dual graphics" like him, but it will give you an idea of the performance. I also posted to Joker Productions about doing a "copy" of what Jay did, using his new AMD Ryzen build, but I know he is one of the few YouTubers who has continued to use Vegas Pro (not sure if he is still on 13 or upgraded to 14 - never saw any mention of it).

Hope this helps. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I'll be getting notified on this topic, so will reply when I get the chance.

Happy Editing!

Mike "The Chief" O'Sullivan
MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Replied by BenMaddox on topic Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

Posted 22 Mar 2017 06:37 #4
Multiple thanks to you Mike and Eagle six for your thoughtful replies. I'll check those things out and let you know how it goes. I don't even know if that extra res would be worth it but the 1080 120fps sounds fun. Small fish move really fast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, Eagle Six

Replied by mmcswnavy24 on topic Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

Posted 22 Mar 2017 11:25 #5
Hi Ben,

I think Joker Productions was already working on something by the time I saw his video concerning his AMD build.

Here's a link to his most recent video, which just so happens to be comparing an AMD R7-1800X, against his Intel I7-6800K (I've got a 5820K and 5930K in my machines - basically same processor as his 6800K and George's "Eagle Six"), and an Intel I7-7700K (4 Cores/8 threads with Hyper Threading). Those other listed Intel processors are all 6 Core/12 Threads.

Here's the link:

I can't give any further information about this, since I no longer do any custom PC Building, let alone any testing. But at least He (Joker) is still using Vegas Pro (still not sure if 13 or 14 though).

MSI TRX40 Pro Wifi /3960X/128 GB TeamGroup/PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT/Win 10 Pro 64-Bit. VEGAS Pro 18&19 Edit/SoundForge Studio 15/Magix Xara Photo & Graphics Design/(2) Inland 2TB PCIe with OS & Apps, #2 Documents/Music/etc., (2) PNY 4TB EVO PCIe for source footage, Sabrent 2TB PCI-e Scratch.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

Posted 23 Mar 2017 02:38 #6
Hi Ben,

I understand your desire for wanting the 120 fps for the fast moving little fish! As well as, other size fish when they are on the hunt to spring for the catch or in a feeding frenzy. It's a matter of what your bucks are worth and you feel is best to allocate them considering all the specialized gear you need to get your film to production. Personally for me, the higher resolution for online video isn't worth it because of my lower speed bandwidth to view them, but I think many people are in areas that provide ample bandwidth to view the higher resolution that YouTube and others are now providing.

Mike, Thank You for providing the link to the Joker review of the AMD i7/1800X. This being the first time I have viewed any of his reviews I must say this young man gets his moneys worth by placing a lot of words per minute in his show!! I had to clean out my ears and crank up the grey matter to keep up with his motor mouth! However, as you have pointed out, it is the only review I have viewed in many years that the reviewer actually uses Vegas Pro, and that balances out nicely in value against those who usually are reviewing based on other NLE's or gaming.

Although the AMD Ryzen chip appears to out perform Intel for multi core/thread processing compared to single core gaming, it has been AMD ignoring the our small part of the industry, but nice that they have made a giant step to catch up and jump forward (I'm not a branding fanboy so either AMD or Intel which is better for the job at the right price).

For the price, I would agree, it is very competitive for anyone purchasing today. For those planning to purchase/build in the next six month......well, things will change a bunch by then and the tide may change back in favor of the Intel chips.......any bodies guess is probably better than mine. I am still impressed with the performance of the Intel chip overall (especially considering at the time we purchased our current builds, AMD wasn't even in the game park), but also Joker makes a good point about the pricing of the Intel compared to the AMD.

My 6800K is overclocked safely at just shy of 4 GHz, and I'm not up against the wall for render times. For those who are struggling with meeting deadlines and ready for a new build, the Ryzen chip appears to be a great way to go and save some budget money for other gear. Considering Joker has his build platform stabilized, has his memory running at 3000, and using Vegas Pro and producing 4K, I think I would crank up the memory to about 64 Gb instead of 32, but that is me, I like lots of memory if it is running fast enough to keep up and be of benefit.

I deeply respect your experience and knowledge on hardware which is far superior to mine. You keep us up to date on the latest and have the ability to sort through all the techy stuff, which I find these days hard to get my arms around. Now, if you could get Joker to slow down his word delivery speed just a little bit, maybe I wouldn't have to watch his presentation twice to absorb what he is saying (the Replay button is my friend!)!! :cheer:
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

Posted 25 Mar 2017 12:40 #7
Thanks for the vote of confidence George!

One thing I do want to mention about the new AMD Ryzen platforms (the different chip sets), is that most of the manufacturers of the boards (Asus, Asrock, MSI, Gigabyte, Biostar, etc) are all experiencing different levels of memory compatibilty. They are constantly updating the UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface), or what most still call it: The BIOS. Just watched a video today by JaysTwoCents, who was doing some overclocking with a UEFI that Asus had sent him for testing prior to public release. Believe he said it is like the 5th or 6th update since the platform has been released, with the other manufacturers doing the same. Noted, most of it is for all those "Game Over Clockers" out there, but trying to get a higher CPU speed and some extra "oomph" out of the memory for video/photo editing and other such things, is nice.

Like you, I am enjoying both of my Intel rigs; the original X99 build still has the 5930K in it that I put together in Sep. 2014; my newest baby is now two years old this month (motherboard at least) with a 5820K.

From what I am currently experiencing, it is now becoming more critical with some fast storage, and move away from Mechanical drives for any type of work flow. Still won't get rid of them for the long term storage of original content. But having a PCI-E boot drive in both systems, with all other storage either add-on PCI-E drives or SSD's, I just back up to my server in the basement.

The interesting thing is going to be to watch to see what happens when AMD finally delivers that RX Vega card that is now starting to make all the "Hype Train" circles. And yes, AMD's past performance is still one reason I am hesitant to try them again, especially for all the "issues" the new Ryzen chip has brought with it. I know, again most of it is Gaming Oriented, but...

Another small tid-bit...some now discussion that the new Ryzen R5 and R3, may not be as fast as their Intel counter-parts. Though, that would not be a processor I would be looking at to purchase for a system.

Like you, get my editing done, kick off the machine and let it go overnight. Who cares how long it takes? Just as long as I didn't do anything stupid as usual to hose up the render :) !

Last Edit:25 Mar 2017 19:53 by mmcswnavy24

Posted 26 Mar 2017 06:43 #8
I know this has been listed as "solved", but just wanted to update the forum members with the newest information about the recent AMD release.

Here's a link from "Gamers' Nexus":

I know some may be getting impatient and want to spend those "Tax Refund" dollars, but just hold out until at least the middle of April or so. This link talks about the lack of the correct "backplate" for the CPU cooler if you decide to use a Liquid Cooling System (All-in-One/LCS) whatever you may call it. It does not apply to any of the Air Coolers available, so if you go that route, you may get one in the box, or just have to contact the manufacturer of the cooler.

Hope this helps a little.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Eagle Six

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

Posted 26 Mar 2017 18:20 #9

I know this has been listed as "solved", but just wanted to update the forum members with the newest information about the recent AMD release.

Thanks Mike :)
I have no problem with extra info being added to "solved" threads.
When I mark forum posts as Solved, it doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% solved - more that many good replies have been made so far.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Can my computer and MSP14 edit 2.7K 60fps and 1080p 120fps

Posted 26 Mar 2017 18:20 #10

Thanks Mike :)
I have no problem with extra info being added to "solved" threads.
When I mark forum posts as Solved, it doesn't necessarily mean it is 100% solved - more that many good replies have been made so far.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.932 seconds