VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Cannot open .mp4 video with 6 channels in Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14

Hello Dr. Zen!

It is truly an honour to hear from you. I hope you are doing fine.

I took your advice and purchased Vegas 14 today. From the get go, I ran into a problem. It appears that even after updating to build 105, I cannot import an mp4 file that worked in Sony Movie Studio 13 (my earlier version).

I suspect you may have heard of the problem I'm about to share with you. It is the following, and it happens immediately when I attempt to import the media (which is not corrupted):

Part 1.mp4 could not be opened. The file contains an unsupported number of channels (6).

Very disappointing...I am looking into it at my end, and I do feel badly that I always think of asking your help and have not bought your book yet...but...do you have any advice for a cheapskate like me? :-/ Thanks very much for your time and sharing.

Sincerely,

Sir Duncan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I have moved your new question into a new thread, because it is not related to your original problem.

It is not uncommon that sometimes people have problems importing video that contains multi-track audio. This is because multi-track audio is not supported by all video formats. There is no easy answer to your question, because at the moment we don't know anything about your video.

If the video contains 5.1 Surround Sound AC-3 audio, Movie Studio should have no problems in opening that.
You can manually go to Project Properties/Audio and set to 5.1 Surround.

Can you upload a small sample of this video, so that we can test/have a look at it ?
and/or
Use Mediainfo app and upload a screen shot showing details.
mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Just the other day another person asked me a similar question. After lots of backwards and forwards, this person reported back a solution that worked for them. They edited the file extension to .mov and then the video imported with all the audio tracks in place. So it might be worth trying this trick first. If it does not work, simply edit the file back to yourvideo.mp4
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

There is a known bug with MS14 unable to handle multi channel audio from camera m2t/m2ts files. Perhaps this is the same problem. Anyway Magix are supposed to be fixing it along with other annoying bugs.
by ericlnz
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Thanks Eric :)

For Sir Duncan's benefit and any others, here is the link to known problems with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14:
www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-movie-studio-14-0-build-105-known-issues--106172/

I hope that Magix releases a new build version this week and doesn't let this drag on and on.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 May 2017 16:22 by DoctorZen

Problems with 5.1 Surround Sound Audio Tracks, has now been fixed with new build version #122 for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14.
Run vegasmoviestudio14suite_dlm.exe or vegasmoviestudio14_dlm.exe installed and only select VMSP14.
New version will download and install for you.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.797 seconds