VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Vegas Pro 15 vs Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum

Vegas Pro 15 vs Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum was created by huskereurocat

Posted 23 Mar 2018 11:48 #1
Hey Doc, noticed a comment over on the Magix forums and always wondered, you use both VP and VMS on your PC. Is there any reason that you do so other than to answer our sometimes silly questions?:wink: I would think that if you have VP then VMS would pale in comparison?
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's
Last Edit:25 Mar 2018 00:41 by huskereurocat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by den24601 on topic Vegas Pro 15 vs Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum

Posted 23 Mar 2018 12:24 #2
Good question. I know VP includes masking, while VMS does not. Does VMS have features /uses that VP lacks? Been wondering about that same question and why some folks use both.

Dennis
Last Edit:23 Mar 2018 15:07 by den24601

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Vegas Pro 15 vs Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum

Posted 23 Mar 2018 15:21 #3
I always buy both versions, because I make tutorials, write articles and answer questions about all versions of Vegas.
It would be impossible to run the forum and website if I wasn't using the software I am talking about, every day, 365 days a year.

There is over 9000 messages on the forum about Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio.
I commonly use screen shots from both programs, to explain my answers to a lot of questions.
There are almost 50,000 comments (questions and answers) on my Movie Studio Zen YouTube channel and Facebook page, which I have answered since I began my YT channel.

If I wasn't teaching how to use Vegas, I would use Vegas Pro only.
I started learning Vegas software with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum first - that was a critical step in my education and the foundation for everything I know today. It wasn't until I had mastered Vegas Movie Studio, that I then started learning Vegas Pro.

I wrote a comparison article a few years ago, between Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio Platinum.
The core information in that article is still relevant today.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-vegas-pro/512-sony-vegas-pro-12-vs-movie-studio-platinum-12

Does VMS have features /uses that VP lacks?

Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is the little Brother of Vegas Pro.
Both programs are built around the same core code.
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum is a beginners to moderate users "consumer grade" video editing program.
Vegas Pro is a "professional grade" video editing program, with the advanced features that advanced editors require for video editing.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:23 Mar 2018 15:26 by DoctorZen

Replied by huskereurocat on topic Vegas Pro 15 vs Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum

Posted 23 Mar 2018 16:43 #4
I thought as much. I don't think that I need to spring for VP. I think VMS does just fine for my use. Curious if there is a thread or section of the website that explains what each Audio and Video FX does, do I just need to experiment.
Ryzen 5 3600x / x570 motherboard / 32GB G Skill Ripjaws RAM / RX 6700XT 12GB / Crucial P1 M.2 1TB OS drive/Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB with multiple SSD's and HDD's

Replied by ericlnz on topic Vegas Pro 15 vs Vegas Movie Studio 15 Platinum

Posted 23 Mar 2018 20:28 #5
VMS does do masking. It just doesn't have the bezier curve, or whatever it's called, to make it easy. Cookie Cutter FX can be used as effectively it creates a mask, plus any transparent png file with a white area can be used. For intricate detailed masks I take an image from the timeline and use that in an image editor to create my mask. The only restriction is one's own creativity.
by ericlnz

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.811 seconds