VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved How to Edit Video with Mixed Resolutions & Frame Rates in Movie Studio 15

• Skonie
  • Skonie's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
I often film video in different resolutions, 1080P on my main video camera and 4K on my Action Cam. What is the best way to handle the two different resolution video files on the same timeline without having to use the Pan & Crop function for each clip?

Similar question with clips of different Frame Rates (25, 30 and 60 fps), to achieve nice smooth video without jittering or flicking?
Last Edit:01 Jul 2018 10:16 by Skonie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What is the best way to handle the two different resolution video files on the same timeline without having to use the Pan & Crop function for each clip?

You shouldn't have to use Event Pan/Crop when using 2 different video resolutions.
It doesn't matter what size the video frame is, anything placed on the timeline will automatically fill the frame.

Normally if you are mixing 1080p and 4K video in the same project, it is best to set the Project Properties to match the lower resolution.
Set the Project Properties to 1080p settings, then everything will look good at 1080p.
You can also then zoom in on the 4K video if needed and you won't lose any quality in the final render.

Technically you can mix different frame rates in the same project, but in reality it is not a good idea.
It is OK to mix frame rates that are using the same multiple, like 30fps and 60fps or 25fps and 50fps.
If mixing 30fps and 60fps, set the project to 30fps and render to 30fps.
If mixing 25fps and 50fps, set the project to 25fps and render to 25fps.

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:01 Jul 2018 15:27 by DoctorZen

• Skonie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
Thanks Derek, I thought MS15 might have a function similar to Adobe Premier which adjusts the frames (adds or subtracts them) so that they can be mixed on the same timeline.

Unfortunately my Sony Handycam only films in 25fps or 50fps and Sony Action Cam only films in 30fps, 60fps, 120fps or 24fps. Are there any other applications you know of that can convert these clips to the required frame rates prior to production? Not too keen on having to spend big dollars to upgrade my Handycam to one which records in 30fps, 60fps or 24fps.
by Skonie

Which country do you live in ?
What is the exact and full name of Sony Action Cam model you own ?

Vegas works the same as Premier - it will do the maths for you and add/subtract frames, however it is not something I would encourage anyone to do on a regular basis, because it can cause problems under certain circumstances. I don't want to say anymore, until I get answers to my new questions.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• Skonie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
The Sony Handycam is a HDR-PJ760VE and the Sony Action Cam is a FDR-X3000.
by Skonie

Your Sony Action Cam can shoot in NTSC and PAL frame rates!
www.sony.com.au/electronics/actioncam/fdr-x3000-body-kit/specifications

Here are instructions for switching between NTSC/PAL
Switch camera to PAL and then you can record in 25p, 50p, 100p
helpguide.sony.net/cam/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0000912362.html

Here are all your available Resolutions and Frame Rates
helpguide.sony.net/cam/1640/v1/en/contents/TP0000912380.html
Last Edit:02 Jul 2018 14:15 by DoctorZen

• Skonie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
Forgot to mention I am located in Australia, so looking to work in PAL.
I did read the manual before but the way it is worded (PAL > NTSC Switches the camera from PAL to NTSC) is confusing. I know I want to record in PAL and if you read the manual; for NTSC > PAL it states it switches the camera from NTSC to PAL, which only gives you options of 30fps, 60fps, 120fps and 24fps.
Thanks for that Derek.
by Skonie

So did you work it out ???
This link explains what to do:

This setting flip/flops between NTSC and PAL frame rates.
Your camera can shoot in BOTH PAL or NTSC frame rates, but you must change the NTSC/PAL switch first.
I do not own your camera, but I do own a Sony a7s mirrorless camera.
On my camera, when you change from NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC, you have to turn the camera ON/OFF to accept the changes.
You also need to format the SD card, before you can begin recording in the new frame rates.

I'm sure I have also seen people on YouTube showing how to change your camera from NTSC-PAL or PAL-NTSC.
Last Edit:03 Jul 2018 00:08 by DoctorZen

• Skonie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
Yes it worked real well. Thanks for your help Derek.
Last Edit:03 Jul 2018 11:45 by Skonie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Hi Ruth

Thanks Derek, I thought MS15 might have a function similar to Adobe Premier which adjusts the frames (adds or subtracts them) so that they can be mixed on the same timeline.

Clarification: You can add "mixed Frame Rates" on the Vegas timeline - Vegas will make the adjustments!!!
However, it is to be avoided if possible, because you can sometimes end up with weird artefacts in converted frame rates.

Unfortunately my Sony Handycam only films in 25fps or 50fps and Sony Action Cam only films in 30fps, 60fps, 120fps or 24fps. Are there any other applications you know of that can convert these clips to the required frame rates prior to production? Not too keen on having to spend big dollars to upgrade my Handycam to one which records in 30fps, 60fps or 24fps.

Which country do you live in ?
25fps and 50fps are PAL Frame Rates - these type of cameras are only sold in PAL countries like UK, Australia, New Zealand, most of Africa and most of Asia, most of South America.
30fps and 60fps are NTSC Frame Rates - this is a North American and Latin American standard.

Possible solution !
You should be able to change your Sony Action Cam into PAL mode, so that it records at 25fps, 50fps and 100fps.
If you can do this, all your videos will edit nicely in Vegas and look perfect every time.

Instructions for how to turn on PAL mode in your camera here:

Regards
Derek

Last Edit:06 May 2021 13:35 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.872 seconds