VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved CPU vs. GPU – Test Results

• RobWS
  • RobWS's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 7

CPU vs. GPU – Test Results was created by RobWS

Posted 14 Feb 2019 23:27 #1
I would like to get some clarification or confirmation concerning Graphics Processing Units, or GPU. My limited technical knowledge could use your help.

The purpose of a GPU is to take all things pertaining to video within the computer and output it to the monitor(s). But within a video editing application, there are 2 specific purposes. Purpose #1) To remove the processing function from the computer’s CPU and place it on the GPU during video editing. Purpose #2) To remove the processing function from the computer’s CPU and place it on the GPU during project rendering. Am I correct so far, or is there more to it, just keeping it simple?

I am using Movie Studio Platinum 14 and from what I understand, there is no Graphics Card on the market that will fulfill purpose #2 above. Is that correct? However, any Graphics Card on the market should fulfill purpose #1 above to some or all extent. Is that correct?

My 2013 computer contains:
LGA 1155 Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH Motherboard
Ivy Bridge i7-3770K Intel CPU
16GB RAM
EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 GPU

I primarily work with 1080p video clips. When I open up Windows Task Manager’s Performance tab, I’ll watch the CPU and GPU graphs.

Here are the results of a simple test I just completed. This is not a lot of data but the end result is interesting. Just for information, the internet is not connected during these tests. Also the hard drive has been defragmented.

First, with a Movie Studio 14 Platinum project open but in stop mode:
CPU 2% – 3% utilization, GPU 0% utilization

Now, playing through about a minute of clips with transitions and basic and motion titles:
Test A1) GPU Acceleration OFF; Preview Quality = Draft Full
CPU 20% - 72% utilization, GPU 3% - 6% utilization

Test A2) GPU Acceleration OFF; Preview Quality = Best Full
CPU 20% - 100% utilization, GPU 3% - 5% utilization

Test B1) GPU Acceleration ON; Preview Quality = Draft Full
CPU 33% - 66% utilization, GPU 4% - 9% with one spike at 20%

Test B2) GPU Acceleration ON; Preview Quality = Best Full
CPU 32% - 64% utilization with one spike at 100%, GPU 6% - 20%

Those are the numbers based on only one run through on each test, but the numbers don’t mean much based on the results I see on screen with the project running. All 4 tests above struggled almost the same with one 8 second section of a crossfade transition with a motion title on top. The playback stuttered and froze and then jumped ahead and continued.

This bring me to a question. How can I experience smooth playback? Which of my computer specs is insufficient? I feel as though there is no possibility to edit 2.7K or 4K (which I would eventually like to do) with my current computer if it can’t handle 1080p. I also realize that I have to upgrade to MS16 edit 4K.

Can somebody give me some insight as to the technical aspect of video pertaining to computer power? Thank you all.

Rob
Last Edit:15 Feb 2019 23:06 by RobWS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic CPU vs. GPU – Test Results

Posted 15 Feb 2019 03:15 #2
Hi Rob, and welcome to the world of comparison testing, which if you are not careful will suck you down the rabbit hole and drive you batty!!!

In general is this what I think I know about Vegas Pro and Vegas Movie Studio.....

More CPU cores above 8 (16 threads) may not provide an advantage and something like 32 cores may in fact be a disadvantage. Both programs allow you to set the threads being used knowing setting it for more than available from the CPU will not help, but setting it for less than available may be an advantage in certain situations/configurations.

A higher clock speed per core/threads is usually better than having more cores/threads split the available clock speed.

Intel CPU are suppose to be, in general, better for Vegas processing, again in general, than AMD, but that has never been proven that I can determine, and may actually be misleading when comparing to the newer AMD threadripper's. If you starting to get confused I apologize and welcome to the club. Keep in mind I'm speaking in general terms from a limited knowledge, most of it coming from others and the universe of the internet is full of urban legends!!

The GPU can be useful for processing certain FX's that utilize the power of the GPU. Some render formats can also utilize the power of some GPU's, but that is specific to the Render codec and engine such as QVS, Nvenc and AMD VCE, and whether the GPU offers OpenCL or CUDA (hope I got all those acronyms correct!!). But having any of those available may reduce the render times, but not necessarily the render quality and then generally only when render to AVC.

What will effect the playback speed of any configuration will be the format of the original source media. AVC/mp4 files are usually harder to decode and playback than intermediate types of formats like Apple ProRes, Magic YUV, or Avid DNxHD for example. One is a higher compressed delivery format and the other is a less compressed acquisition format. The less the media is compressed the easier it is for Vegas to playback in the previewer. BTW, you didn't specify what format, or from what camera, your 1080 clips were from that you tested.

Certain FX's, Plugin's, extensions have a heavier overhead than others and in combination can bring even the most powerful systems to it's knee when trying to playback at project speed and Best/Full preview quality.

Proxy files, even of 1080 source media may improve playback speed in Preview quality, if the system struggles.

Every time I read something by someone that I feel is an authority on the subject, if I keep pecking around I can find another authority that contradicts it! One thing that trips the results of an exclusive test, such as yours, is the specifics of your system are pretty much specific to your system. Although I may have the same computer build (unlikely because there are so many variations), what have installed, programs, background apps, different drivers, etc., it is almost impossible to get meaningful results much past 'in general'.

I could go on and on writing this book and at the end would not have said anything more definitive than I have already said, which is pretty much.....well in GENERAL, worthless!!
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:15 Feb 2019 03:15 by Eagle Six
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, mmcswnavy24

Replied by Eagle Six on topic CPU vs. GPU – Test Results

Posted 15 Feb 2019 04:27 #3
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Replied by DoctorZen on topic CPU vs. GPU – Test Results

Posted 15 Feb 2019 12:14 #4

I am using Movie Studio Platinum 14 and from what I understand, there is no Graphics Card on the market that will fulfill purpose #2 above.

Hi Rob
Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 14 only uses the old Mainconcept AVC encoder/decoder.
This encoder cannot take advantage of modern Nvidia, AMD Radeon or Intel Quick Sync graphics cards, unless you are using a very older generation GPU like Nvidia GTX500 series or older.

When Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 15 was released, Magix added a significant improvement to the encoder/decoder options.
Version 15 and the brand new version 16, now use the MAGIX AVC encoder/decoder.
The MAGIX AVC encoder/decoder can take full advantage of all modern Nvidia GPUs, AMD Radeon GPUs and Intel (integrated) QuickSync graphics.
If you have one of the latest Graphics Cards, you should see better timeline playback in the Preview Window and much faster render times.
Under these conditions, you will see extra options in the Render As window (Advanced Make Movie settings), where you can render directly with the Graphics Card.

I recommend you download the free trial for Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 16 and test this out!
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• RobWS
  • RobWS's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 3
  • Zen Level 3
  • Thank you received: 7

Replied by RobWS on topic CPU vs. GPU – Test Results

Posted 15 Feb 2019 22:32 #5
One other word of clarification here. I use an SSD for my OS and applications. All editing is done on a separate HDD.

I use a Panasonic FZ200 digital camera which has very nice video capability. There are 6 main video options. The one I use they refer to as PSH, which is AVCHD, 1920 x 1080, 28Mbps, 60p fps.

Judging by the responses and the references noted, this whole issue seems like trying to tell someone what kind of car to buy. There are too many variables. And all I wanted to know is how to experience smooth playback during editing. You would think there would be some kind of standards. But those standards seem like a moving target. I am looking forward to using MS16.

I do appreciate the input. I’m in a constant state of learning.
by RobWS

Replied by DoctorZen on topic CPU vs. GPU – Test Results

Posted 15 Feb 2019 23:09 #6
Computers and Video Editing software has more variables than performing brain surgery on rollerskates with one hand tied behind your back.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:15 Feb 2019 23:09 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmcswnavy24, Eagle Six, vkmast, ericlnz

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.869 seconds