vegas ms 16 728x90 2019 05 sale

heart Loved Exploring Movie Studio 16's features; Love or Don't like?

• Thank you received: 6

Exploring Movie Studio 16's features; Love or Don't like? was created by HawaiianEye

I'm upgrading from 14. Comparing each side by side, one immediately noticeable feature 14 has that developers castrated off version 16, is Dockable Windows.
If you work with 2 monitors, as some do, you can separate and resize your workspace across your desktop real estate.
14 seems at 1st glance to be way more professional / heavy duty / military, in appearance, in my opinion.

Seasoned users also seem to agree that the latest video FX tab reveals a clunky interface, that is designed to appeal to beginners.
This definitely puts lead boots on your ease and speed of access.
But, the familiar interface still exists in the Track fx icon, the Event fx icon, and the project fx icon.
We end up editing and working with fx by clicking on the event or track icon anyway. And no need to open fx tab, search for fx, then use sweeping wrist motion, to carefully place. "Oooops! I placed it over the wrong event! How do I fix??" answer: Click on the event fx icon.
The whole Drag n' Drop aspect, is probably what appealed to us, when we were beginners. "Oh lookie how easy that is!!"
Wasted movement and time, if you think about it, no?

As I explore the program more, from my perspective as a power user, (but in no way a expert Power user), I will comment.
But so far, I'm happy with my MS 16 Suite version choice, as an upgrade priced purchase, even though some of the regular extras are not needed or installed.
Thanks to Derek for his website, because it adds a very much needed reinforcement that would be missing without it!
14 Mar 2019 22:20 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 447

Replied by vkmast on topic Exploring Movie Studio 16's features; Love or Don't like?

HawaiianEye: "Comparing each side by side, one immediately noticeable feature 14 has that developers castrated off version 16, is Dockable Windows."

- If I understand you right, you cannot undock in your VMSP 16? In fact, you still can. The method changed somewhat as of v.15.
Drag down on the tab ("name of the pane") to undock. Hold Ctrl to dock window (if your Prefs. > Display setting regarding this is default).
(Read the whole story in "Window Docking Area and Floating Window Docks", online Help.)
A screenshot here and attached

HawaiianEye: "Seasoned users also seem to agree that the latest video FX tab reveals a clunky interface, that is designed to appeal to beginners."

- Most of them probably do. This was discussed by DoctorZen in his in post 16 here, 2nd paragraph . I fully agree.

HawaiianEye: "some of the regular extras are not needed or installed."

- A note to users: please note DoctorZen's comments (in several threads) regarding the potential/probable incompatibilities of the earlier 3rd-party add-ons (from e.g. NBFX, HitFilm, Boris) with the ones included in the later/latest version(s).
15 Mar 2019 00:15 #2
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 556

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Exploring Movie Studio 16's features; Love or Don't like?

My comments are based on limited use and testing, as Movie Studio is not my primary NLE, and I did not try the new beginner interface, rather went to expert mode.

When Magix introduced Movie Studio 15, they pretty much mimicked Vegas Pro 15, not withstanding the Vegas Pro features such as color scopes, scripting, nesting, LUT Filter, etc. that have always separated Vegas pro from Movie Studio. This was their first (somewhat) full Magix version as version 14 seemed to be a transition version from the previous developer Sony to the Magix development team.

So far, Vegas pro has been upgraded around August and then Movie Studio has been upgraded around the following February. They followed that same scheduled with versions 16, first Vegas Pro 16 in August and then Movie Studio about February. And again in this upgrade, they have brought Movie Studio up to the same level as Vegas Pro 16 (not withstanding the Vegas Pro specific features). So in version 16 of Movie Studio we have features like the Storyboard bins and hoover scrub, that were introduced in Vegas Pro 16. And keeping with scheme that Movie Studio is the stepping stone to Vegas Pro, they introduced a new beginner mode to help users learn what an NLE can do on the simple level, yet provide an advanced mode for user to grow with and encourage them to step up to Vegas Pro. The theory was introduced by Sony in version 13 and I think it wise for Magix to continue to improve it.

I think an important part of Magix's development of Movie Studio 16 was using a beta test team prior to final release. Most likely this team helped them streamline the inclusion of the Hoover Scrub feature that Magix introduced in Vegas Pro 16, which created a firestorm of dislike from users when they combined the trim in/out feature of the mouse, with the drag and drop feature of the mouse. In Movie Studio 16 they still have the trim in/out feature using the 'I' and 'O' keys, but removed the mouse click trim, which interfered with the mouse grab and drag feature, smart. Most likely this improvement came from both the criticism from Vegas Pro 16 users and the 'real' end users included on the beta test team. And, I would venture to predict they will change to this method in the hoover scrub when finalizing Vegas Pro 17 (or at least have a option to set).

Although I am not a constant user of Movie Studio and therefore have not stressed it with long complicated productions, from what little I have used it, and from what I have been reading from others, Movie Studio 16 may be the most stable version they have ever introduced.

I am a bit disappointed in the VEGAS Video Stabilization Fx included with Movie Studio 16. It works, but not as good as the legacy Stabilize Fx included in previous versions. Although if we hold down the 'Shift' key and click on Preferences, an additional 'Internal' tab is available. Selecting this 'Internal' tab, In the search box at the bottom if we type in 'legacy', three legacy options will appear in the list. The legacy MainConcept render format, the legacy Stabilizer Fx (I think this is actually Mercalli v2 included by Sony), and legacy Titler. Change the 'Value' from 'FALSE' to 'TRUE' and these options will be available the next time Movie Studio is started. There is also a forth, at the very top, legacy Pro Path Behavior.

It would be my hope that in future updates Magix will have improved the VEGAS Video Stabilization Fx in Movie Studio, as they improved it in Vegas Pro (in later updates). In the mean time users have the option to use the legacy Stabilizer Fx if they are not happy with the Magix.

This is my limited opinion and if I have the history twisted or incorrect feature description I welcome corrections.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, mmcswnavy24
15 Mar 2019 03:07 #3

Replied by HawaiianEye on topic Exploring Movie Studio 16's features; Love or Don't like?

Thanks again goes to you vkmast! I feel like the monkey throwing bones in front of the monolith.
As I said, "I'm not an expert power user". But this is a Aha! moment!
15 Mar 2019 05:06 #4

Replied by HawaiianEye on topic Exploring Movie Studio 16's features; Love or Don't like?

Nice output E6! I feel like copy / paste onto word doc for future use! Much appreciation!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six
15 Mar 2019 05:11 #5

Moderators: DoctorZen

vegas pro 16 728x90 2019 05 sale

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Zen Social Media

MOVIESTUDIOZEN.COM

© Copyright 2018. Movie Studio Zen. All Rights Reserved.

Support Movie Studio Zen

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

Translate Language

MSZ Security

Positive SSL