VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Separating Video tracks

Separating Video tracks was created by Don1937

Posted 15 Jun 2019 07:31 #1
I have video footage on two separate tracks. I am able to separate a video track from an audio track. However, am I able to separate each of the video tracks and move them independently? Don
by Don1937

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Separating Video tracks

Posted 15 Jun 2019 09:01 #2
Hi Don,

As far as I know, when you add video clips to a track in the timeline they will not be grouped together (as the audio is for each clip), so you should be able to grab the video event selected with your mouse and move it where ever you like.

Note 1: if you have selected all the video events in the timeline, and then grab anyone of them, they will all move together.

Note 2: If you have 'Auto Ripple' set to 'On' then whenever you select an event and move it, all the events even and to the right of the select event will move.

So, make sure the video event you want to move is the only event selected anf make sure Auto-Ripple is off, then the video event should move independent of the others.
Best Regards......George

Replied by Don1937 on topic Separating Video tracks

Posted 15 Jun 2019 09:54 #3
Thank you George

My problem is that I recorded the first part of a trip on my internal memory and finished on the memory card, and therefore the clips on each have similar numbers. When I added all of this to the VMP, I was left with the clips from the first half and the clips from the back half of the trip alternatively placed on the same video track. I have separated the back half onto another video track above the original, but now have to move each clip as you describe - a long and tedious task. I wondered if there is some way I can grab one of the tracks as a group and drag it away from the original track.
by Don1937

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Separating Video tracks

Posted 15 Jun 2019 10:26 #4
Hi Don,

I'm a bit lost as to what you have. If your clip are similar, they should appear as separate clips and not be grouped together. If you post a screen shot of your Movie Studio display so we can see the media bin and timeline, perhaps I would understand.

If I make an assumption, the clips you have added to the timeline exceed the tack display width. If that is the case use your mouse center wheel and roll it into you. This will shrink the width of the track until you can see the beginning event and the end of the last event. The events (clips) on the timeline may be very small in length depending on how long the events are and how many, but you should be able to get them all in the width of your display. This is pretty basic and I'm thinking you know this and there is something else I'm missing!
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don1937

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Separating Video tracks

Posted 15 Jun 2019 10:32 #5
We need to see a screen shot of your timeline and some arrows that show exactly what you mean, because only you know what you mean. The rest of us are just guessing right now about what is actually going on.
Press F11 to expand your timeline and take a screen shot.
Use the Windows Snipping tool to add arrows/circle to indicate what you want moved.

If you don't know how to take a screen shot, visit this link:
Please note that depending on what version of Windows you are using, you may have access to the new Snipping tool.
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/welcome-to-msz/1541-how-to-take-a-screen-shot-of-your-desktop-and-upload-it-to-the-forum#7660

Here is a test example of what I mean
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:15 Jun 2019 10:36 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 15 Jun 2019 12:38 #6
All clips on the top track (underlined) need to be moved to the right and dropped down at the end of those on the bottom track to form the correct chronological order. I have been moving them singly but wondered if there is an easier way.

Last Edit:15 Jun 2019 12:43 by Don1937
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 15 Jun 2019 12:50 #7
Excellent! Now I can understand what you are asking.

You can temporarily create a New Group and move everything in one go.
Select first video on extreme left.
Hold down CTRL key and then select last video.
All videos should now have a yellow border.
Press G for New Group.
Click a blank area of the timeline to end highlight.
Now grab hold of any video in the new group and you can move it as a complete block.
Once the videos are in place, you may want to select the same group again and press U to Un-group.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:15 Jun 2019 16:25 by DoctorZen

Posted 15 Jun 2019 12:52 #8
You may also want to explore using the Auto-Ripple Tool
This is now located at the bottom of the Vegas timeline.
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/182-rubberband-media-on-timeline

Posted 15 Jun 2019 13:27 #9
Thank you. I could see a LONG job ahead as there are quite a few clips to move. I appreciate all the help I get from this Forum.

Don
by Don1937

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.857 seconds