VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Video Length Misrepresented

Video Length Misrepresented was created by TwoSunsMedia

Posted 17 Aug 2019 10:50 #1
I'm having an issue with the video length of my projects. I will download videos that I want to use into the video, but it increases the overall length of the project. Even when I delete the excess the total download still reflects as if I'd kept the extra clips. This affects the download size and time. Any idea on what I can do to fix this?
Last Edit:17 Aug 2019 12:40 by TwoSunsMedia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Video Length Misrepresented

Posted 17 Aug 2019 12:40 #2
Hi TwoSunsMedia and welcome to the MSZ Forum

Please clarify what you mean, because I don't understand what you are saying.

I will download videos that I want to use into the video

You can't download a video into a video - that's impossible.
Do you actually mean importing a new video into the Vegas timeline of your project ?

but it increases the overall length of the project

When you add new videos to the timeline, it is always going to add to the length of your project.
You can't add to something and have no increase - that's impossible.

Even when I delete the excess the total download still reflects as if I'd kept the extra clips

What do you mean by download ?
By the sounds of it, you are trying to explain something, but you are using the wrong terms, which is why I don't understand your meaning.

This affects the download size and time

If you import a video into Vegas that you downloaded from the Internet, let's say it's total file size is 100 MBs and the length in time is 2 minutes.
When you render that video with Vegas, it is not going to be the same file size as the original - that is impossible.
Video downloaded from the Internet is extremely compressed.
The same video rendered with Vegas may end up being much bigger in file size, depending on which Format, Template and Bit Rate settings you used.

I recommend you have a second go at explaining what your problem is.
Take some screen shots from your Vegas timeline that show all the steps you are taking and then upload the screen shots with some explanations.
If you don't know how to take a screen shot, read this FAQ here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/welcome-to-msz/1541-how-to-take-a-screen-shot-of-your-desktop-and-upload-it-to-the-forum#7660

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by TwoSunsMedia on topic Video Length Misrepresented

Posted 17 Aug 2019 20:22 #3
Thank you for the quick reply.

"I will download videos that I want to use into the video"

Yes, I meant that I import videos into my timeline.

When you add new videos to the timeline, it is always going to add to the length of your project.
You can't add to something and have no increase - that's impossible.

I'm aware of that. What I'm saying is that after I delete the clips I no longer need; the timeline is still permanently lengthened; Are you saying that I cannot import a video w/o returning the timeline to the original length before I imported. Below is the length of the video. The actual length of the clips are to the left.

When you render that video with Vegas, it is not going to be the same file size as the original - that is impossible.
Video downloaded from the Internet is extremely compressed.
The same video rendered with Vegas may end up being much bigger in file size, depending on which Format, Template and Bit Rate settings you used.

Can you point me in the right direction to understand these terms?
Attachments:

Replied by FayFen on topic Video Length Misrepresented

Posted 17 Aug 2019 20:47 #4
Yes, I see what you mean. I have it here also, I don't know how to spread the relevant content over the graphic view.
My other NLE have "fit project to timeline view" I don't see similar here in vms16.

A workaround is to save the project and reload it.
VMS16 is not perfect...
Last Edit:17 Aug 2019 21:02 by FayFen

Posted 18 Aug 2019 00:21 #5
Thank you TwoSunsMedia for uploading the screen shot.
I know exactly what you are talking about now!

Before I give you a solution, can you please upload a copy of your Vegas Movie Studio .vf project file to the forum.
Make sure you give me a copy of the same project that is shown in your screen shot.
The .vf project file does not contain any video, but it will show me your timeline settings.
The reason I am asking for this, is because I think there are 2x different things causing your problem.
Once I can see the project timeline I can provide you with a quick and easy solution.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by TwoSunsMedia on topic Video Length Misrepresented

Posted 18 Aug 2019 02:02 #6
@DoctorZen

Here you are. Thank you for your help.
Attachments:

Posted 18 Aug 2019 02:49 #7
Let's wait for zen to do his magic, but I see that you have many small bits scattered around
like at 12:57:16 , 3:10:10 and so on, you must clear them first.

Clicking "end" takes me to 18:00:00 but nothing there, so I re-saved and open and now the end is at 14:00:00 ??
Last Edit:26 Jan 2020 13:09 by FayFen

Posted 18 Aug 2019 03:00 #8
You have 2 problems !
FayFen beat me to it.

You have Track Markers placed on the timeline.
Delete the red Track Markers - that is the main thing causing the problem with your total project time.
If you need to create Chapter Points or Markers, use the keyboard shortcut M for Marker, however you must remember that placing any type of Marker at the end of the timeline will extend the total length of the project!

After you delete both red Track Markers, that +1 in the Time Window will disappear.

You also have very tiny file fragments scattered all through the timeline.
After deleting the markers from SwordSnipet.vf, go to 12:57;05 and there is a fragment.
Use the wheel on your mouse to zoom in on the timeline and then you will see everything that is hiding in plain sight.
Last Edit:18 Aug 2019 03:01 by DoctorZen

Posted 18 Aug 2019 18:42 #9
But still Dr.Zen , how one spread the content over the full relevant timeline once it cleared?
It's very common to start with a much longer project than to get it shorter but the view will be still "on the long side"?
As I wrote, my other NLE has "fit to view" feature to help on that issue, no in VMS? and in VP17?
Thanks
Last Edit:18 Aug 2019 18:43 by FayFen
Attachments:

Replied by vkmast on topic Video Length Misrepresented

Posted 18 Aug 2019 20:49 #10
From Vegas Pro 17 and Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum online Help(s) (F1):

"Horizontal scroll bar
Drag the scroll box to pan the view of the project left or right. The ends of the scroll bar also function as zoom controls. You can zoom the project in and out by dragging the edges of the scroll box.
Double-clicking the horizontal scroll bar will zoom the project out so that the entire length of the project will be displayed."

Try and see also what pressing the + and - signs does.
Last Edit:18 Aug 2019 20:56 by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.861 seconds