VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Question about Movie Studio Platinum 13

Question about Movie Studio Platinum 13 was created by larlynn33

Posted 02 Oct 2019 08:32 #1
I have a video of a championship basketball game recorded in 1966 (I got this video from a digitized version of 16 mm film that is 17 fps). The film was made as a coach's film, so it isn't a continuous filming of the game. It starts and stops with certain action in the game.

I also have a radio broadcast of that game.

Dr. Zen gave me the correct solution for handling the radio broadcast being faster than the video and that's working fine.

New problem is because the video shots are not continuous action of the basketball game, I have to split and move the video to catch it up with the radio broadcast.
That was going OK (though tedious), but the last split that I did caused a cross fade to be created in the section that had just been handled by the split and it created some wavy doubling of images in that section I had just fixed so that the audio matched the video.

I need to learn how to delete a crossfade like the one that was created or how to split so that the crossfade is not created. I studied up from the index but couldn't find a solution.

I'm a novice but I'm learning.

Thanks for reading my situation and if there is a viable answer, I'm eager to apply it to make this a professional video.

Lawrence Lynn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Question about Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 02 Oct 2019 10:00 #2

I need to learn how to delete a crossfade like the one that was created or how to split so that the crossfade is not created.

While you are editing, use CTRL + Z to undo an unwanted edit.

A crossfade is just 2 pieces of media that are overlapping.
Drag video segment on the right, too the right, to un-do a crossfade.

I recommend you read 2 FAQs on how to use the Auto-Ripple tool.
This can be very handy when you need to fix something in the middle of project.
Read this first:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/182-rubberband-media-on-timeline
Then read the specifics for version 13:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/520-auto-ripple-settings-movie-studio-platinum-13

Tip: Save progressive versions of your projects while editing (every 5-10 minutes), by using the Save As function instead of only Save.
Example: your-project-v101, your-project-v102, your-project-v103,......
If you make a big mistake, you can open a slightly older version and re-do your last couple of edits.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by larlynn33 on topic Question about Movie Studio Platinum 13

Posted 03 Oct 2019 03:09 #3
Thank you, Sir. I tried to drag the video segment on the right to the right and since that didn't handle the crossfade, I guess I somehow got two segments overlapping.

I didn't have that trouble with the first splits I did and move segments to the right, so I guess I had no overlaps on those.

I'll have to go back and check what I did and fix that and come forward - tedious process, but that's the way it is.

I tried to work with the Auto Ripple, but nothing occurred - guess that doesn't apply to splitting and moving segments.

Thanks for your help.

Lawrence Lynn

Posted 03 Oct 2019 12:56 #4

I tried to work with the Auto Ripple, but nothing occurred - guess that doesn't apply to splitting and moving segments.

If I was to take a guess, I think your original problem may have been caused by having Auto-Ripple accidentally turned ON.
It is a very powerful tool and has 3 settings - this is shown in my FAQ article.
Make sure Auto-Ripple is turned OFF when not using it, otherwise it can create a GIANT mess on the timeline.

To understand basically how Auto-Ripple works, start a new test project and add just one video.
Turn Auto-Ripple on.
Now cut a section out of the middle of your video.
As soon as you delete the section, you will see the remaining parts snap together.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Posted 14 Oct 2019 14:38 #5
Thank you, sir. Maybe having had Auto Ripple turned on caused the problem, but I don't think so.

I had very good success using the tool you gave me to slow down the audio to match the video, but then I got to a point where the audio was such that I had to do a split to move the audio and foolishly didn't notice that this may have changed all the little edits I had done to the video in the first quarter of the basketball game.

When I went back to check over my work, I found that I had to redo the edits and have to once again slow down the audio of edits that had been perfect when I previously did them.

I did do a lot of "saves as" - so went back to some to find out if any were not messed up - and I found the one with the split audio but I still have trouble getting the edits to "stick".

Is there a suggestion on how I can handle so I can split the audio and keep the edits correct so I don't have to continuously go back and correct them?

Thanks for any help with this.

Lawrence Lynn

Posted 14 Oct 2019 18:42 #6
You have to be very careful when using the Auto-Ripple tool - it can take a while before you understand exactly how it can effect a project.
If you set Auto-Ripple to only the first setting, only the events on the track you are working with will be affected.

If you are accidentally changing your project, you can lock any parts you don't want changed after they have been edited/
Hold the Shift key down and select ALL pieces that are finished, then right-click and go to Switches and select Lock.
AND/OR
You can Lock many different events as a New Group.
Hold the Shift key down and select all Video and Audio pieces, then press G for Group.
This will create a new group.

Posted 18 Oct 2019 15:26 #7
Thanks very much, sir. Locking the parts that I edited did the trick.

I completed the first quarter with all edits locked and checked it from the beginning.

All looked fine, so I thought I would make a movie of just the 1st quarter of the game to see what it looked like. I set the start and end points and made the movie.

I was surprised that my edits didn't remain as they were and the timing was totally thrown off.

I saved the project as a new name and pulled it up to check out what happened, and when I click on the play button, nothing worked - like the video wouldn't play.

I have no idea what I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Lawrence Lynn

Posted 18 Oct 2019 21:41 #8
Unfortunately it sounds like you need to start your project from scratch - I have had to do this myself when I was learning and making mistakes.
Vegas is not your problem. There is something you are doing that is causing all this.

The only way anyone can help you, is if you record a video screen capture that shows exactly what you are doing.
Then upload your video screen capture to YouTube and provide a link to the video.

Posted 20 Oct 2019 02:35 #9
Thanks, sir, you are correct it wasn't Movie Studio Platinum 13 that was the problem. I had a sit where I couldn't get any videos to work anywhere. Finally sorted it out, and I didn't have to go back to the very beginning to start fixing my video.

But I do have a question I couldn't find the answer to in the help for the pgm. If I want to check out how the movie will turn out while I'm working on the video (I completed the editing of the first quarter of the game), how to I set the start and end times so I don't have to record the parts I haven't edited yet?

In my music DAW Cubase 10, I can easily set the left and right locators for the start and end of a song, but I couldn't figure out how to do it with Platinum 13.

Any help is appreciated.

Lawrence Lynn

Posted 20 Oct 2019 13:20 #10

how to I set the start and end times so I don't have to record the parts I haven't edited yet?

Read/watch this tutorial:
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/20-rendering-a-loop-region-only-using-sony-vegas-movie-studio-hd-platinum-10
Last Edit:26 Jan 2020 13:16 by DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.821 seconds