VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Lagging after using for a while

• AndyTR
  • AndyTR's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

Lagging after using for a while was created by AndyTR

Posted 22 Oct 2019 09:46 #1
Hi, this is my first post and I couldn't find this covered elsewhere but sorry if it's already been done.
I'm using Movie Studio Platinum 12.0 an Windows 7. The preview works smoothly from Draft to Best - to begin with! Then after a variable length of time it starts to lag such that I can't work any further and have to save and re-start then it works OK again for a bit. Sometimes it gets so that I can only see what I've created by rendering, watching in VLC then going back in to fix things.
It seems like it might be a Windows issue (in which case I'm really in trouble finding a solution!) but I thought i'd check here first.
Any thought much appreciated.
Andy
Last Edit:22 Oct 2019 20:03 by AndyTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Lagging after using for a while

Posted 22 Oct 2019 20:03 #2
Hi Andy and welcome to the forum.

What model CPU are you using ?
What model GPU are you using ?

What type of video are you editing with ?
1080p ? 4K ?
Frame Rate ?

If you have been using Vegas Movie Studio on the same computer for a long time, I recommend you Reset Vegas, which will clean the temporary files cache and restore all settings to default values. Sometime just doing this will fix weird problems.

Reset instructions here:
www.moviestudiozen.com/doctor-zen-faq/573-how-to-reset-sony-software-to-default-settings#a1

Never versions of Vegas now have a much better encoding/decoding engine, which should mean better playback while editing if you have a modern Graphics Card installed.
Never versions of Vegas also have an inbuilt "Proxy Video" creation tool, which also helps to improve playback while editing.

I recommend you watch this old tutorial on how to do "Proxy Video Editing".
This is the best method to use with older versions of Vegas Movie Studio.
www.moviestudiozen.com/free-tutorials/sony-movie-studio-platinum/262-proxy-video-editing-with-sony-vegas

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• AndyTR
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Replied by AndyTR on topic Lagging after using for a while

Posted 09 Nov 2019 02:31 #3
Hey, that works :).
Thanks so much for your help.
I think I saved some time on the SD proxy method. Upon re-opening Movie Studio after re-naming the proxy folder, I just identified the folder with the original meg4 files in the dialogue box (rather than highlighting the first file it was looking for) and clicked OK - it then found all the missing files in one go.
Thanks again for your help.
by AndyTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

Posted 09 Nov 2019 10:02 #4
Thanks for reporting back :)
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

• AndyTR
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 10 Nov 2019 08:26 #5
Hmmm, not solved after all :(

I've tried re-setting to defaults and using mpeg2 files (1/10th the size of the mpeg4 files I imported from the camera) - but no joy.

In more detail ...
The software worked OK out of the box and for a year or so but now I've had the problem for a while.
At the moment I'm editing a music video so here's an example of my problem.

I have one main audio track.
I also have 8 video/audio track pairs open with different takes (none complete, most about 75% of the song).
All the camera audio tracks are muted (now that they're synced) but I haven't 'un-grouped and deleted' them as sometimes things go out of sync and I might need them to re-sync.
I get the same problem whether I have all video tracks visible or if I have most of them muted.

Everything starts fine for 20 seconds at 25fps. Then the rate declines over the next 30secs until it is anywhere from 1 to 6 fps. This happens at all preview settings (except Best/full where it starts a little earlier) and happens even with the mpeg2 files at draft/quarter and only two video and one audio track un-muted.

If I Save/restart then I get another 20 secs preview I can use before having to save/re-start again. If I want to see any length of work at good quality I have to render and view in VLC.

My machine is a reasonable spec business laptop (Dell Precision M6700). If this helps:

Windows 7 Pro
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2701 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 8.28 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory 22.9 GB

Name CyberLink Mirror Driver
PNP Device ID ROOT\DISPLAY\0000
Adapter Type Not Available, CyberLink compatible
Adapter Description CyberLink Mirror Driver
Adapter RAM Not Available
Installed Drivers Not Available
Driver Version 1.0.0.0
INF File oem60.inf (CLMirrorDriver section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\clmirrordriver.sys (1.0.0.306, 20.77 KB (21,264 bytes), 10/10/2019 09:27)

Name NVIDIA Quadro K3000M
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_11BE&SUBSYS_053F1028&REV_A1\4&155E00FA&0&0008
Adapter Type Quadro K3000M, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA Quadro K3000M
Adapter RAM (2,147,483,648) bytes
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 9.18.13.2762
INF File oem33.inf (Section358 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 1024 x 75 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xF5000000-0xF60FFFFF
Memory Address 0xE0000000-0xF1FFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF1FFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000E000-0x0000EFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967294
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (9.18.13.2762, 10.79 MB (11,311,392 bytes), 04/12/2013 01:22)

The single is released 17th Nov! Any thoughts on the above?

In desperation ....

Andy
by AndyTR

Posted 10 Nov 2019 14:34 #6
There is nothing wrong with Vegas.

Your problem is all because your CPU is not powerful enough to edit a project with multiple video tracks all running at once.
Your CPU is only a 2x Core CPU - this is a very low powered CPU for video editing.
You need a minimum 4x Core CPU (8x Core would be better) to edit this type of project with smooth play back in the Preview Window.
As soon as you start adding Video FX, this increases the load on your CPU dramatically.

Besides using the Proxy video editing method, your best bet is to reduce the Preview window to Draft quality while editing.
To check the project while editing, you can temporarily set it to Best and check still frames, then return to Draft.

You need to invest in a better computer.
Last Edit:11 Nov 2019 10:47 by DoctorZen

• AndyTR
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie

Posted 10 Nov 2019 20:40 #7
Ah, thanks. At least I know for sure what the problem is now.
That explains why it worked to start with then when I added channel FX before chopping up the clips it slowed down - I hadn't made the connection.
I didn't expect to be editing video when I got the laptop so a new one is needed now :).
Thanks for all your help.
Last Edit:11 Nov 2019 10:47 by AndyTR

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds