VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Setting duration of a still image on time line

Setting duration of a still image on time line was created by htmmarketing

Posted 07 Dec 2019 08:04 #1
I realize you can extend a still image's duration by click dragging to lengthen in Movie Studio (13 Platinum specifically). But is it possible to use an keyboard input? I am looking for a method to possibly click (or right-click or ctrl-click) on an individual still image on the time line and change the length or duration using the Event length timer or similar input method. I am familiar with changing a default length for all images. But each image duration varies greatly in this project. I'd like to not have to drag each time out, but keyboard it manually to exact lengths.

Regards,
Last Edit:07 Dec 2019 13:50 by htmmarketing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Robbie on topic Setting duration of a still image on time line

Posted 07 Dec 2019 09:33 #2
Hi HTMMarketing
I don’t have MSP 13 but try:
• Select event
• Hit [ or ] to select left or right of the event
• Use the 4 and 6 key on the number pad to lengthen or shorten the event one frame (make sure Num Lock is in)

Cheers, Robbie
by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, htmmarketing

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Setting duration of a still image on time line

Posted 07 Dec 2019 13:57 #3
Thanks Robbie !!!
Your solution definitely works in Movie Studio Platinum 13.

@HTMMarketing
Please note that you can also set the default length a Still Image will be when you import it onto the timeline, by changing the Movie Studio Preference Settings.

Go to Options/Preferences/Editing

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:07 Dec 2019 13:58 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: htmmarketing

Replied by htmmarketing on topic Setting duration of a still image on time line

Posted 08 Dec 2019 02:35 #4
Thanks Robbie and Derek. That works the same as click dragging to lengthen. And I appreciate the fast response, but I was looking for typing a numeric time length somewhere to set the time. Example: I have several images and I could click on each image instance on the time frame and type in say 45 seconds somewhere in the interface. Then move on to the next image in the sequence and repeat with a different duration time. I know the Movie Studio 13 interface has the "counters" lower right for event, selection and project lengths. But event length is not manually editable. Some other programs allow ctrl-click or right-clicking the event to set duration and/or rate. Was just hoping to perform that type of quick edit. I believe that type of function is perhaps not available. Again thank you for the help and I did learn a new move!

Replied by Robbie on topic Setting duration of a still image on time line

Posted 08 Dec 2019 09:25 #5
EDIT: sorry, thought I had a solution but posted before testing. unfortunately It didn't work how I thought.
Cheers, Robbie
Last Edit:08 Dec 2019 09:39 by Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: htmmarketing

Replied by kbosward on topic Setting duration of a still image on time line

Posted 08 Dec 2019 22:59 #6
It's not free, by Vaast Event Tools extension allows you to type in the event length.

vasstsoftware.com/product/eventtools/

Ken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, htmmarketing, Robbie

Posted 09 Dec 2019 02:54 #7
Thank you Ken. The VASST Event Tools is a good solution and affordable at $14 USD. Unfortunately to process the order, VASST uses Digital River for payment, which has a very poor review reputation. I realize that some buyer reviews could be product related and not Digital River's fault specifically. Having said that, I believe I'll just change image duration manually.

I appreciate all of the Forum help.

Regards,

Mark

Replied by vkmast on topic Setting duration of a still image on time line

Posted 10 Dec 2019 10:19 #8
@HTMMarketing

If you ever decide to upgrade, this is new in VEGAS Movie Studio 16 Platinum
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, htmmarketing, kbosward

Posted 11 Dec 2019 02:29 #9
Yes VKMast - That is solution and feature is what I was looking for. Thank you!
Last Edit:11 Dec 2019 02:36 by htmmarketing

Posted 11 Dec 2019 02:36 #10
In closing I ended up taking some of everyone's advice and set the default still image length to a rough average of my clip times. Then undocked the cursor timer and placed it near the end of timeline for better viewing. Then repeatedly set cursor to each duration time as I added then stretched each still image instance to correct duration.

Regards,

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds