Solved Vegas Movie Studio 17 Launch

• Thank you received: 66

But if I set Dynamic RAM preview max to 0, the MPEG-2 rendering always finishes, but uses only 50-60% CPU and takes around 55 minutes. I have tried it in VMS 15, 16, and now 17, same thing. In my editing there are no transitions, just a cut at the beginning and the end. Very strange. I have Windows 10 Pro 1909, i7-4790, 16GB, GTX 1660 SUPER driver Studio 442.92. BTW the same thing happens in Vegas Pro 17.

Hi Ken,
I think you have answered your own issue in this last remark. Windows OS always plays a balancing act between running processes and available RAM. The Windows OS and all running processes demand access to the available RAM on your system, When the available RAM becomes scarce by the current demand on the system, windows employs 'Virtual RAM'. This is storage space that resides on your hard drive and is notoriously slow. Windows OS utilises the 'Virtual RAM' by rolling out lower priority processes to the 'Virtual RAM' space. At this point if you have a disc activity light it will go hyperactive. If 'Virtual RAM' space is limited, your system will either freeze or possibly shut down a process. There is no space left to do anything and processes employed by the user interfaces can be locked out hence you are unable to interact with the hung process unless you use the task manager. How Vegas products juggle what they refer to as 'Dynamic RAM', I am unclear about. I guess that setting the allocation of 'Dynamic RAM' to zero ensures you are denying access to RAM thus aiding the completion of the task.

Any further clarification of how Vegas uses this feature by Derek or other forum members would be appreciated by yourself I am sure and me.
In my own experience, I have discovered that a Windows 10 system with 16GB RAM and a generous allocation of 'Virtual RAM' can cope with most projects without issue. Windows 10 Pro is a larger OS demanding more RAM, however with enough 'Virtual RAM' I would not have expected that it would freeze due to lack of resource.

Just a further point worth mentioning is 'Undo'. As changes are made to any project, the state prior to the change is held in RAM so that you as a user can 'undo' the change reverting to the prior state. With some products you can limit the number of 'undo's' thus preventing space in RAM being consumed by multiple prior states of an edit. If this feature exists in Vegas, I have not found it yet. The 'undo' scenario is most likely irrelevant in your current issue, but I believe it warrents a mention.

I hope this helps.

Malcolm
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vidchick
10 May 2020 18:42 #11

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1495
I believe there is some type of small bug with MPEG-2 format, which cause renders to never finish.
In my experience, when rendering video with MPEG-2 for DVD, you need to turn off GPU Acceleration temporarily.
If you do this, the render should complete.
Go to Options/Preferences/Video - GPU Acceleration - set to off.
Remember to re-boot Vegas before you render, to accept the GPU settings change.

The only other thing I know of that can cause renders to never finish, is if a Video Effect was added that has been pushed to far!
Example = Sharpening
If Sharpening is pushed crazy high, it can cause a memory overload, which exhausts the available RAM for rendering.

Dynamic RAM
I have always found it is best to leave Dynamic RAM set to the default low value of 200 MBs (I know some people also say to set it to 0 MBs).

Dynamic RAM is only used for one thing only! It is used for rendering small previews of complicated sections of your Vegas timeline - typically only a few seconds long or no longer than about 30 seconds. The purpose is so you can play it back smoothly without any preview lag. The temporary file is in an uncompressed format, which means the file size will be extremely large. Because of the large file size, you can't dedicate too much RAM to this function. This temporary render is stored in your computers "Dynamic RAM" instead of rendering an actual file that is save to your Hard Drive. The more Dynamic RAM you allocate, the less will be available to render your full project at then end.

Here is what the Help File says when you look up Dynamic RAM.

Using dynamic RAM previews
When your project includes compositing and complex video effects, you may not be able to preview your project at its full frame rate.
If you prefer not to prerender your project, you can dedicate a portion of your RAM to cache video frames that cannot be rendered in real time.

Setting up your cache
From the Options menu, choose Preferences and select the Video tab.
Enter a value in the Dynamic RAM preview (max) box to set the amount of RAM that you want to dedicate to video previews.
The maximum size of the RAM cache is displayed to the right of the control. If you reserve excessive amounts of RAM for your RAM cache, performance may decrease.
Click OK.

Building the preview from a selection
Select the region that contains the frames you want to cache.
From the Tools menu, choose Build Dynamic RAM Preview (or press Shift+B). Each frame in the selection is rendered.
Click anywhere in the timeline to cancel.
After rendering is finished, click Play . The cached video will play back at the frame rate specified on the Video tab of the Project Properties dialog.

If your RAM cache is not large enough to contain the entire selection, the selection is automatically adjusted to include only the cached region. You can increase the Dynamic RAM Preview max setting on the Video tab of the Preferences dialog to increase the size of the cache.

Clearing the cache or turning off dynamic RAM previewing
To clear the RAM cache during playback, you can resize the Video Preview window or choose a new setting from the Video Preview Quality drop-down list.
To turn off dynamic RAM previewing, enter 0 in the Dynamic RAM preview (max) box on the Video tab of the Preferences dialog.
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: vkmast, Vidchick
10 May 2020 19:44 #12

• Thank you received: 18
I am delighted with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17.0
With previous editions of the application and previous versions of Windows the start-up would take many minutes.
Now, VMSP 17 takes between 13 and 17 seconds to open up to the Timeline.
Also, it embraced most and possibly all of my add-ins without forcing me to any extremes.
It might help that I moved from a failing Windows 7 to a new Windows 10.
I have had two (Not Responding) episodes and when restarted, the project was intact and up to date to the last action. Previously, ignoring all Saves, the recovered project might be three or more steps behind when restored.

In summation, VMSP 17 is excellent, a joy to work with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Vidchick
16 May 2020 13:25 #13

I am delighted with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 17.0
With previous editions of the application and previous versions of Windows the start-up would take many minutes.
Now, VMSP 17 takes between 13 and 17 seconds to open up to the Timeline.
Also, it embraced most and possibly all of my add-ins without forcing me to any extremes.
It might help that I moved from a failing Windows 7 to a new Windows 10.
I have had two (Not Responding) episodes and when restarted, the project was intact and up to date to the last action. Previously, ignoring all Saves, the recovered project might be three or more steps behind when restored.

In summation, VMSP 17 is excellent, a joy to work with.

Thanks for your report Des :)
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
16 May 2020 19:12 #14

I have now purchased the upgrade to VMS17. The installation process was flawless. I too installed only the program and not the PC health check and other parts. The personalisation of preferences are done and I have edited a couple of videos. I too have had a couple of 'Not responding' events. Recovery from this situation somehow seems better. The improvements to the user interface are great. It is now much easier to locate and even nominate your favourite FX's.

I am only trying to resolve/restore one setting I had in VMS16 that for the life of me I cannot remember how it was done. The first screen shot of a VMS16 timeline shows the individual clip's incremental length displayed with a white background. The second screen shot shows the same clip in VMS17 timeline and no incremental time display.

Menu option View>Active Take Information does not add this feature.
16 May 2020 19:23 #15
Attachments:

I am still experimenting with VMS17. Amongst my notes I found the tip from VKMast I think that set the user interface brighter. (If was not VKMast, I apologise, to whomever it was that posted this tip) I have applied it to VMS17 and it does make an improvement to the brightness of several icons on the Status bar. To implement the change do this, whlist holding down the 'Shift' key on a Windows PC select Options>Preferences. Notice there is a new tab called 'Internal', select this tab. At the bottom of the window that opens enter UI, don't tap return as the display automatically resets to show any setting with those letters. About mid way you will see 'UI Saturation Level'. The 'Value' and 'Default' settings will both be set to 0.00000000. Enter a 1 in the 'Value' column. This will add more colour to the status bar icons and Timeline header icons.

Click 'OK' and then VMS17 will have to be restarted to apply the change.

This is VMS17 prior to the change.

This is VMS17 post UI Saturation being set to 1.00000000.
Notice the introduction of more colour to several icons making them more distinct.

Timeline header icon improvement.
16 May 2020 20:08 #16
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 267
Incremental Time - Option/Preferences - Video Tab.

4th item down "Show source frame numbers........". The drop down box gives options including Time and Timecode which is what you had showing in VMS16.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, mmcswnavy24, Videome, Vidchick
16 May 2020 20:35 #17
Attachments:

Thank you Ericlnz, exactly what I was looking for. I just could not remember where it was, great stuff.
16 May 2020 20:55 #18

• Thank you received: 4
Regarding the render hang-ups in MS17 : Most of what you've all just said is a little above my pay grade so I'll just ask a simple minded question.....

Would saving the project, closing the program, and re-opening the program/project clear the cache or re-set things so you could just open the project and go straight to rendering?

Thanks for your input.
Vidchick
26 May 2020 17:52 #19

Regarding the render hang-ups in MS17 : Most of what you've all just said is a little above my pay grade so I'll just ask a simple minded question.....

Would saving the project, closing the program, and re-opening the program/project clear the cache or re-set things so you could just open the project and go straight to rendering?

Thanks for your input.
Vidchick

You need to go one step further before you begin a render with Vegas.
Re-boot your computer before you do a render - this will make sure your computer's RAM is as empty as possible.
Many experienced Vegas Pro users, use this trick all the time.
While you are at home, I recommend you fire up your Alienware computer and try rendering with that instead!!!

I will reply to your other new post, first thing in the morning, Sydney time.
26 May 2020 20:30 #20

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2021 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.