VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Rendered chroma-keyed clips don't retain transparency where they should; instead these areas are black

Update: I researched further and followed these steps, which worked :-)

for the benefit of others, I keep my original query below.

Hi all,

Sorry, I've tried to solve this first myself, by researching online, without success, unfortunately.

I am trying to do my first chroma-keying in MSP 13. I downloaded a stock green-screen clip, applied the BCC chroma key effect, and it worked fine -- the green became transparent, and it passed a test to show the space was transparent and not merely black – i.e. I could see another clip, which I'd added to a test video track below it, peeking through in the way it should.

After removing the second (i.e. test) track, I rendered the chroma-keyed clip (only). I chose to render it as AVCHD / Video for Windows / PAL DV. It rendered.

I then dragged the rendered *.avi file into a new project's Project Media bin, and there, I right clicked on the clip and under Properties / Media / Alpha Channel, changed it from "None" to "Straight (umatted)" as I'd read online.

No go -- the keyed-out empty spaces appear as opaque blank, not as transparent. I know this because I cannot see any part of test clip below it.

I hope I'm overlooking something very basic. If I can't make this work, this pretty much stops me in my tracks. Can anyone advise?
Last Edit:28 Dec 2015 15:40 by lingyai
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archlich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I'm experiencing the same situation. Did you ever figure out how to use a green screen video and make it completely transparent (like a .png image) so you could import it into another project?
DESKTOP: Dell PC WINDOWS 10 PRO, 64-bit, Ver:1607, OS BLD: 14393.1066
INTEL Core: i7-4790, CPU @3.60 GHz, Inst RAM:16.0 GB
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3
Shared Sys Mem: 8159 MB, DirectX Runtime Ver:12.0

LAPTOP: MSI GE72MVR 7RG
GTX-1070

MrGrunthunter wrote: I'm experiencing the same situation. Did you ever figure out how to use a green screen video and make it completely transparent (like a .png image) so you could import it into another project?

Yes -- first use one of the Chroma Key FX (either Sony's or I think BCC's) on the green-screened clip; then render using the settings shown in the "update" video at the top of my post. The result will be semi-transparent, meaning that the areas which you've made transparent will stay transparent, while the rest of the frame will be unaffected.
Last Edit:14 Jan 2016 12:39 by lingyai

lingyai wrote:

MrGrunthunter wrote: I'm experiencing the same situation. Did you ever figure out how to use a green screen video and make it completely transparent (like a .png image) so you could import it into another project?

Yes -- first use one of the Chroma Key FX (either Sony's or I think BCC's) on the green-screened clip; then render using the settings shown in the "update" video at the top of my post. The result will be semi-transparent, meaning that the areas which you've made transparent will stay transparent, while the rest of the frame will e unaffected. using

Guess I'm out of luck. You must be using SONY VEGAS and I'm using SONY MOVIE STUDIO 13 Platinum Suite and I don't have the same menu options you have available :-(
GeForce GTX 745, Driver ver: 376.53, Tot avail grap: 12225 MB, Ded vid mem: 4096 MB DDR3

GTX-1070

MrGrunthunter wrote:

lingyai wrote:

Yes -- first use one of the Chroma Key FX (either Sony's or I think BCC's) on the green-screened clip; then render using the settings shown in the "update" video at the top of my post. The result will be semi-transparent, meaning that the areas which you've made transparent will stay transparent, while the rest of the frame will e unaffected. using

Guess I'm out of luck. You must be using SONY VEGAS and I'm using SONY MOVIE STUDIO 13 Platinum Suite and I don't have the same menu options you have available :-(

No sir, you are not out of luck. I also have only MS 13. Ok, the interface might be a bit different (that was not my video) but it definitely works great in MS13. Give me a little time and I'll make some screengrabs or a quick video to walk you through it.
by lingyai
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, MrGrunthunter

That would be absolutely terrific ! ! ! Thank you Lingyai

GTX-1070

Ok, I see now how small but crucial differences between the interfaces of MSP 13 and Vegas Pro 13 might have led to your confusion.

-- The very first thing shown in the video, at 0:12, is to go, in Vegas Pro

"File / Render As..."

-- BUT in MSP 13, you take a slightly different route. Go

1) "File / Make Movie ..."

2) when prompted, choose "Save it to my hard drive"

3) You should then see a "Make Movie - Save to Hard Drive" dialogue box.
Here, select the "MOV" radio button, and then click "Advanced options..."

4) You should then see a "Render aS" dialogue box.

5) In the left-side "Formats" column, choose "QuickTime7"

6) You should then see a list of "Templates" in the right hand column. Choose "3 Mbps Video"

7) Click "Customize Template".

Now you can start following what he does in the video starting from 0:22 onwards. (This is where he starts customizing the template.) There are slight cosmetic differences between the dialogue boxes in the video and what you'll see in MSP 13, but they are truly minor; you should have no problem following along.
by lingyai
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrGrunthunter, Eagle Six

Thank You Lingyia. I need to make another chromakey type video and test this out.

GTX-1070

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.806 seconds