VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Video footage in Moviestudio 13 Platinum (Steam Powered) doesn't render very, well why is that?

• Serga
  • Serga's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello @all here first

Well today i wanted to write an E-Mail then i thought it would be better here on the forum.
It looked like this i think you will get the most needed Informations here for the begin.

Dear Mr.Moran

I am writing today to you because i have some really big problems with rendering h264 x264 avc1 footage in Movie Studio 13 Platinum (Steam Powered). I watched some videos of yours and others to check if i didn't make any mistakes with the options of MainConcept AAC/AVC and Sony AVC/MMS or the third option x264vfw (which kinda works but the colors get washed out cause of convert to 4:2:0 chroma change)

I have no idea if the raw footage out of Open Broadcaster Multi-platform and/or Dxtory with x264vfw is doing the trouble.

At Main Concept i get some brackets with a lot of colors that are over the main Video but things like the writing are okay.
With Sony AVC/MMS i don't have brackets but the video get's a bit pixeled you see it at some writing or lines even when i have the same or higher bit rate.
With x264vfw i have the chroma upsampeling which kinda looks bad on the outcome...

I am working with a lot of information and programs out of the network and it's forums and Wikipedia (bit rates, chroma etc.) but i can't find a solution for these problems.

I even try experiments with ffmpeg (the command line encoder) but i couldn't find a setup which really works...

I thought because you having some experiments could please help me figure out stuff. I am writing directly because i don't really want to waste my time anymore to go forums or many videos which still don't help...

Specs of the PC are:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4960X @3.60GHz (12 cores)
Ram: 16GB
Graphic Card: Asus Nvidea GTX Titan 6GB
Mother Board: Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition
TV Card (Special Purpose only): Avermedia Live Gamer HD
DX11

Normally this PC should do better as the most PCs.

I would be thankful if you could help me figure out what the actual problem is.

So much to the letter.

Well i will get you all the information you need if you say to me what you need.
I would be really glad if someone or the good Zen could help me with that problem.

And yes i do make game plays with narrating and it is for that purpose but it should have an good quality and some great footage / narrating in it that is what brings me the fun even if no one watches.
Also i am just 19 (soon 20) years old and learned electrician for buildings.

If someone want to help directly like over Skype or Teamspeak 3 i could arrange that and will write the solution if it is found also the problem cause.

Thanks even if the problem is not solved yet.
by Serga
The following user(s) said Thank You: Archlich

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi Serga and welcome to the MSZ Forum.

I am guessing that you are making Game-Play videos.
I don't record game-play, so I am not the best person to ask about this.

There is nothing wrong with the program, that I can tell you.
The problem with game-play videos is that you have extremely fast moving and detailed subjects moving across the screen, which means each frame of video is completely different to the frame before. This is what puts the H.264 codec under extreme stress and why you are frustrated.
It makes encoding the video accurately, extremely difficult, especially if it is going to be uploaded to YouTube.
Once you upload any video to YouTube, it will always be re-compressed using YouTube's compression algorithm, so it will never look the same as what came out of your video editing program - no matter which program you used.

For fast moving game-play videos to be encoded/rendered with zero quality loss is basically impossible, unless you use extremely high Bit Rates.
The faster pixels change in each frame of video, the more Bit Rate you need to encode each frame accurately.

High Bit Rates = larger file sizes
Lower Bit Rates = lower file sizes

Video streamed over the Internet must be compressed to some degree, otherwise no one would be able to download and view it in real time.

You can do an experiment and render with Mainconcept AVC/AAC and use some extremely high bit rates like above 100Mbps, however you will then have a very large file to upload.

I also recommend adding some level of Colour Correction to all projects before you render a video.
I have an in-depth tutorial on this topic here:
How to use Colour Correction Tools in Sony Vegas Pro

If you would like to understand the theory behind everything I am saying, I highly recommend you watch this video by David Kong.
vimeo.com/104554788

I also read an excellent article the other day, that also explains how H.264 codec works.
www.adobe.com/devnet/adobe-media-server/articles/h264_encoding.html

This wiki article also explains the core levels of H.264 codec
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

There is another gamer on the Movie Studio Zen forum, who has been asking similar questions to yourself.
This is one of his threads here: www.moviestudiozen.com/forum/movie-studio-platinum/751-exporting-at-level-5-1

What I suggest all Gamer's do who may read this, is to reach out to another successful gamer on YouTube who also uses Sony Vegas Pro or Movie Studio Platinum, and ask them what their secret sauce is.

I also recommend that you connect with other users on the Sony Creative Software Vegas Pro and Movie Studio Platinum Forums . There is a group of users on the Vegas Pro forum, that experiment with advanced rendering techniques using another program called Handbrake . I have deliberately avoided discussing this on my own website here, because the process is complex and seems to be constantly changing and does not always work the same for each person. If you want to explore this further, start by searching "handbrake" on the official Sony forums I linked to.

All the best
Derek :)
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:04 Jan 2016 14:34 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, Archlich, Serga

• Serga
  • Serga's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Newbie
  • Zen Newbie
  • Thank you received: 1

I am guessing that you are making Game-Play videos.

yup that is right

I know about the compression on Youtube and about the stress the h.264 codec gets on fast moving pictures. As i said i am not really new to codecs and video rendering still i think it must be somehow possible to get a better video at least on my PC.

I think the x264vfw has the best results but there is still the the Chroma change if someone knows how to compensate that i would go with the x264vfw.
I will look into the color correction mostly i just make the colors a bit more powerful.

I added all my test files that you can make a picture yourself about this 4 Times the same video all the x264 and h264 codecs i have + the original. I still don't understand whats wrong with the Main concept one because for others it seems to work (also gameplay).

Main Concept Bitrate Var: Max: 28.000.000 Average: 20.000.000
Sony AVC/AAC Bitrate: 25.999.360
x264vfw Bitrate: 15.000.000 (15.000 kbit's)
OBS Multiplatform Bitrate: 50.000 (but a very high compression if 25 min makes only 830MB)

The Videos are made in Obs Multiplatform from the Game Arma 3 on the highest resolutions.

Maybe this helps the cause or get information about how i can correct the Chroma upsampling. (Maybe there is just a command in the advanced window which i can use to prevent it)

Note:
Uhm it seems i cant upload the videos in a win Zip file
Last Edit:05 Jan 2016 17:39 by Serga

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.833 seconds