VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Multiple simultaneous Event Pan/Crop settings

• ERicJ
  • ERicJ's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2
  • Thank you received: 1

Multiple simultaneous Event Pan/Crop settings was created by ERicJ

Posted 11 Jan 2016 16:42 #1
Is there a way to apply a the same Event Pan/Crop setting to every clip on the track in one step?

I'm making dual GoPro bike ride videos and GoPro splits its files every X minutes (file size limit) so I end up with multiple files/clips imported on each Camera track. In Movie Studio Platinum 13 I "split screen" the two camera tracks, each with their own Event Pan/Crop setting (reposition, resize, and mirror one) and it's tedious to go through 5-10 clips on each track repeating the same preset selection on each clip.

Here's the work flow after importing the videos. I've got five helmet cam clips on track #2 and three rider cam clips on track #4.

I'd like to be able to select all five clips on track #2, pull up the Event Pan/Crop dialog, make the preset selection, and have it apply to all five selected clips. But it only seems to effect the first clip.
So I end up going through eight clips repeating the same repetitive steps. It seems like there should be an easier/faster way to do this.

Here's the work flow after all that:

Here are the two Event Pan/Crop dialogs:

Thanks!
by ERicJ
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Multiple simultaneous Event Pan/Crop settings

Posted 12 Jan 2016 00:06 #2
Hi ERicJ and welcome to the MSZ Forum

If I am understanding the effect you are wanting to achieve correctly, there is a better tool you can use and it will apply the same effect to all videos on the same video track.

Use the Track Motion tool instead, which is turned on by pressing the icon next to Track Description Box.
I actually published a new tutorial that shows this in use a few weeks ago here and I recommend you read and watch it.
You will be able to adapt the tutorial to the effect you have shown.

How to create Multi Screen Video FX with Sony Vegas Pro

Regards
Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six, ERicJ

• ERicJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Replied by ERicJ on topic Multiple simultaneous Event Pan/Crop settings

Posted 12 Jan 2016 04:15 #3
A few questions:

Does Track Motion support Horizontal Flip? For the rider view track I Horizontal Flip the clip in Event Pan/Crop so that it "tracks" with which way the helmet cam is looking. If Track Motion doesn't support that I'm still pulling up the Event Pan/Crop dialog for each clip in that track.

Sometimes, depending on the video content, I'll take a sub section of the project and not do split screen but go full screen on one of the tracks/views to focus on that view for some amount of time. I'm guessing if I want to do that I can't use Track Motion and am still in the realm of Even Pan/Crop, correct?

I'm sort of confused as to what advantage Track Motion has over Event Pan/Crop, other than being able to set everything on the track simultaneously. Would Track Motion be obsolete if you could select multiple clips on a track and apply the same Event Pan/Crop setting simultaneously? Or is there some other advantage to Track Motion I'm missing?

Sorry for sounding like such a newbie. You've got some great stuff on your site for helping out newbies. :)
by ERicJ

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Multiple simultaneous Event Pan/Crop settings

Posted 12 Jan 2016 06:20 #4
Hi ERicJ,

Apply your Pan/Crop to a selected clip as you have done. Right click the event and Copy. Select all the other events which you want to have the same Pan/Crop, right click on any of the selected events, then Paste Events Attributes from the menu or use the short cut key 'v'.

If I had a lot of events in my project, I would probably organize them by separate tracks. Put all the helmet cam shots that were going to be Track Motion on 1 track, and all the helmet cam shots that were going to be full frame on another track. And, the third track would hold the main camera events.

I guess it would depend how complex the project, which option you like, or maybe even a combination of the two. It may just be one of those 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other things.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, ERicJ

Posted 12 Jan 2016 10:30 #5
Between the my reply and Eagle Six's reply, you have all the information you require.

A re-cap of important information:

1. You can highlight all videos on the timeline you want the same Event Pan/Crop applied to, then Copy and Paste Event Attributes just once onto all of the events.
2. It does take a while to understand the differences between Event Pan/Crop and Track Motion - both are important tools and sometimes you need to use both to achieve special effects. That is why I suggested you read and watch my tutorial on creating Multi-Screen FX. In this tutorial, I show real world examples of how both tools can work together.
3. Both Event Pan/Crop and Track Motion allow the flipping on videos on vertical and horizontal axis - right-click inside either tool and select the flip you want.
4. Track Motion is the preferred tool for increasing/decreasing the size of video screen - watch tutorial.
5. Organize your tracks into common groups.
6. Add Key-Frames to zoom in/out over time on the same track.

Right-click video event and press Copy
Then highlight all other videos you want same Event/Crop applied to, right-click and Paste Event Attributes

Screen showing Key-Frames to allow zooming in/out
Red arrows show key-frame points where screen zoom is set the same
Blue arrows show zoomed in/out key-frames
Green shows preview window Sync turned on

Here is old tutorial on using Key-Frames to Zoom in/out
How to Use Keyframes to Zoom and Hold Video using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• ERicJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 12 Jan 2016 11:05 #6

Eagle Six wrote: Apply your Pan/Crop to a selected clip as you have done. Right click the event and Copy. Select all the other events which you want to have the same Pan/Crop, right click on any of the selected events, then Paste Events Attributes from the menu or use the short cut key 'v'.

BINGO! "Paste Events Attributes" is what I think I was looking for. :woohoo:

Eagle Six wrote: If I had a lot of events in my project, I would probably organize them by separate tracks. Put all the helmet cam shots that were going to be Track Motion on 1 track, and all the helmet cam shots that were going to be full frame on another track. And, the third track would hold the main camera events.

That would have to be done on the fly while editing because many/most times I don't know at project start what I'm going to full frame, and almost certainly those sections are not already in their own clips. I have to split them out and apply different Event Pan/Crop settings. But split and drag to another track with different Track Motion might the the six of the one vs. the half dozen of the other. :wink:
by ERicJ
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• ERicJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 12 Jan 2016 11:17 #7

DoctorZen wrote: 4. Track Motion is the preferred tool for increasing/decreasing the size of video screen - watch tutorial.

I've watched all the tutorials you've cited ( and more :) ).
I can see why Track Motion is a tad easier because it's one setting that applies to the whole track, vs. my Copy/Paste'ing Event Pan/Crop. But why do you say it's the preferred method for changing size? Is there a technical reason? Does it render faster/smoother? Is it less typing/clicking? It looks like both have the same drag-to-resize as well as direct number input fields for size and position...
by ERicJ

Posted 12 Jan 2016 11:34 #8
With time and experience you will understand the differences between Track Motion and Event Pan/Crop. I remember it took myself a long time :? before the penny dropped and I had that a-ha moment :idea: :woohoo:
When I was learning, I used the Event Pan/Crop for everything until I realized the difference. My new tutorial shows why you can't use the same tool for all situations.

The simplest way I can explain is this.

Track Motion is like moving a bunch of photographic prints around on a table to create a collage, one on top of the other. It is also like sitting in a chair and moving yourself closer or further away from your TV screen.

Event Pan/Crop is like using a magnifying glass to examine parts of each print and scan across the screen.

• ERicJ
  • Zen Level 2
  • Zen Level 2

Posted 12 Jan 2016 11:42 #9

DoctorZen wrote: With time and experience you will understand the differences between Track Motion and Event Pan/Crop.

Agreed, that's most like what'll happen. But I'll have to force myself to use Track Motion. Once a user discovers a way to do something they're unlikely to change unless the new way is obviously better. Thanks for all the answers and suggestions.

DoctorZen wrote: Track Motion is like moving a bunch of photographic prints around on a table to create a collage, one on top of the other. It is also like sitting in a chair and moving yourself closer or further away from your TV screen.

Hmmm... that's exactly what I'm doing with Event Pan/Crop today.
by ERicJ

Replied by Eagle Six on topic Multiple simultaneous Event Pan/Crop settings

Posted 13 Jan 2016 04:13 #10

ERicJ wrote: That would have to be done on the fly while editing because many/most times I don't know at project start what I'm going to full frame, and almost certainly those sections are not already in their own clips. I have to split them out and apply different Event Pan/Crop settings. But split and drag to another track with different Track Motion might the the six of the one vs. the half dozen of the other. :wink:

I've found for me, adding additional tracks as I go along, to organize events, as well as, moving tracks up or down in the timeline a bit more time consuming and involving a bit more thought at the beginning of a project. Where this approach has shinned for me is later in the editing, re-editing, and re-re-editing, etc. process.

There are many different methods and approaches to editing, and that is one of the advantages I like about SMS13P, it allows many different workflows. For those down and dirty projects, I just start adding events to the timeline, moving them around, making cuts, applying FX, etc., and pretty soon things start to work out where I have something I like.

On Projects that I will use more than 1 camera, take more than 1 day, take more than 1 location, involve audio gear for talent interviews, as well as, other different gear such as ladder moves, jibs, camera mounts, and other aspect of filming, I usually start with a story board outline, equipment list and schedule prior to the project. By the time I get to the post production I have a pretty good idea how I will set up the timeline to organize the editing process. Often it will involve 5-8 video tracks, several text/title tracks and a couple music tracks. It is slower at first to get going but saves me a lot of time as I go from rough cut, through various editing cuts, to the finished product.

The Paste Event Attribute is one of many tools available to us to streamline the editing process. Available to us are those tools applied to the event level, the track level, and the project level. Exciting for me has been the discovering process, finding the various tools Movie Studio offers, and I'm still finding and still learning!

As I find these tools and methods, some have enhanced my workflow, some have changed my workflow. Some I have had to embrace for a while to understand the true advantage. For me, Track Motion falls in that category. Since Derek pointed it out to me 8-10 months ago, I find myself using it more and more. I still use Pan/Crop, they are all tools to be used as we find fit.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: ERicJ

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.900 seconds