VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Lagging in preview display while editing

Lagging in preview display while editing was created by kopral_jono

Posted 13 Jan 2016 14:40 #1
Hi Derek,

First of all, thank you very much for your tutorial.
It really helpful for first time user like me.

I have a question regarding the display preview in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12.
When I start editing 1080p video for the first few minutes its all good no lagging in the timeline as well as the display preview.
But after 5 mnts or so it began lagging in the display as well as time line.
My memory is 16gb and the video car is 4gb memory.
Its really frustrating when you are editing video and its lagging.

Do you think there is a problem in my hardware? I ran a hardware test and its all good.
Is there any mistake that I did in the setup?
Please advise and thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Koprla_jono

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoctorZen
  • DoctorZen's Avatar Away
  • Don't Panic !
  • Thank you received: 1557

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Lagging in preview display while editing

Posted 13 Jan 2016 17:06 #2
Hi kopral_jono

If you have a compatible Graphics Card, make sure it is turned ON in the Preference settings.
Go to Options/Preferences/Video/GPU Acceleration
If you have a compatible card, it will be listed here.

All Video Editing programs lag in the Preview Window, especially as you start to add more and more Video Fx.
The program is trying to do in real time, what normally takes 3 to 10 times longer to do when you render the project.

Setting the Preview Window to Draft or Preview quality will help playback while editing.

The type of video you are editing has a major influence on Preview Playback quality.
GoPro video for example, is highly compressed, which means it has to be de-compressed in real time while you edit - thus slowing play back down.

The best way to improve Playback in the Preview Window, is to use Proxy Video Editing technique.
This involves rendering proxy versions of your original videos, into an easier to play video format, which doesn't need to be de-compressed on the fly.
You then edit with these versions and will see smooth playback.
At the end of the project when it is time to render, you then replace the Proxy versions back with original HD versions.

I have a tutorial which explains how to do that here:
How to do Proxy Video Editing using Sony Vegas and Movie Studio - Zen Method

If you had Movie Studio Platinum 13 or Vegas Pro 13, you could use it's inbuilt proxy video creation tool.
In these versions it automates the whole process and makes it extremely easy to do.

A third method you can use, involves pre-rendering all your videos.
Go to Tools/Selectively Pre-Render Videos
This will render small chunks of your timeline into easier to play videos.
If your project is really large, it will take a long time to render out.
I don't like using this technique, because it can cause problems if you start to moving everything around on the timeline from one end to the other.
Try it if you like and see what happens.

My preferred method is using the in-built Proxy Creation Tool in version 13, before that I use to use the technique shown in my tutorial above.

Regards
Derek.
ℹī¸ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:13 Jan 2016 18:24 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: kopral_jono

Replied by kopral_jono on topic Lagging in preview display while editing

Posted 13 Jan 2016 17:42 #3
Hi Derek.

Thank you for replying.

I believe its the device preview settings, I thought because my GPU is GTX 980 I could set the setting to best, well I am wrong.

Now i set it to preview (auto) and its much better.

I like to upgrade it to 13 later on.

Thank you for your advise, Derek.

Have a great day.

Kindest regards,

Kopral_jono
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.793 seconds