VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved Software Turnig Off ONLY when using GoPro Clips

Software Turnig Off ONLY when using GoPro Clips was created by LivingFreeForever

Posted 05 Mar 2016 15:57 #1
This is what I do.
1. I download the GoPro videos to my pc (I have a top of the line laptop with as much space as was available last year from Dell) Ric's not hear so I can't tell you what model or anything.
2. The GoPro videos get downloaded into the GoPro software first.
3. I convert the videos to MP4(that is how it had it set up automatically)
4. I open Sony Movie studio Platinum 13 (I did an update that was supposed to help with GoPro videos and it worked last time I worked on Gopro vidoes but not working today)
5. Today when I try to drop the videos in the timeline the videos lag(not the audio) so I can't edit anything since I can't see where I am. The software kept timing out. Now the video is frozen and won't play at all in the time line. I have both regular recording with GoPro and also time lapses. It doesn't seem to matter which clip. These problems are happening with all of them.
Any ideas? Thank you.
Melody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic Software Turnig Off ONLY when using GoPro Clips

Posted 05 Mar 2016 17:09 #2
You can't convert GoPro videos into .mp4 - they are already in .mp4 format direct out of the camera.
In the View & Trim window, press Advanced Settings at the bottom.
The File Format should be set to .AVI, not .MOV
Medium Quality is OK for everyday videos.
Next you press Add Clip/s to Conversion List and press Convert All.
This will then get converted into the Cineform codec, which is easy to play in Movie Studio.

If you are editing video with Movie Studio, there are no more steps after this in the GoPro studio.
Import the .avi video into Movie Studio and begin editing - make sure to use the Match Media function when you import the first video.

Also make sure you are using the 64 bit version of Movie Studio, if you are using a 64bit computer.
Don't use 32bit version on 64bit - too slow.
On Sony Update / Download page, there is a drop down menu to select either 64bit or 32bit program - you only need 64bit.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Last Edit:05 Mar 2016 17:12 by DoctorZen
The following user(s) said Thank You: LivingFreeForever

Replied by LivingFreeForever on topic Software Turnig Off ONLY when using GoPro Clips

Posted 05 Mar 2016 18:56 #3
You are right. It is set to AVI I got that backwards. Sorry. Maybe I should change from best to medium quality. I JUST finished editing this video and it must have shut down 30 times. OMG. That was stressful.
I did the match media you taught me before.
I THINK I was using 64 bit but now I'm not sure. I'm writing this down for next time. I wonder if I downloaded the wrong update...wrong bit. I'll have to see if I can see what I did.
Thank you so much! I have a notebook with all my notes I get from you.
My boy said he thinks he prefers to build his computer. I think I saw something on your website about that. If so, mabye this is the better, cheaper route for his gaming and youtube channel. It would be good for him to learn how to do it too. What do you think? Thank you :) Melody (He'll be 14 next month so I'm thinking for his birthday MAYBE we can get him started. We'll see.

Posted 06 Mar 2016 09:54 #4
Hi Melody

What exact model CPU is in your computer ?
If you go to Control Panel/System, you can find this out.

Because you were asking me about how to Reverse a Video, I am wondering if this is the same project that is causing you problems ?
The reason I ask, is that reversing playback of videos puts a heavy load of the CPU. If you have a large number of reversed videos playing all at once, this may explain why the program is freaking out.

I think it is a right of passage now, for every teenage boy in this modern computer focused world, to build their own computer.
There are literally 10,000's if not 100,000's of people on YouTube who have built their own computer.
Building the actual computer is the easy part. The real work involves researching the parts you want to use beforehand and selecting a good match of components for the budget you have. Once you have completed your first computer build, it really does increase your confidence and ability to problem solve.

I can certain point you in the right direction, when it comes to checking a list of parts to make sure they will work together.
I have had 100's of people ask me to check their pre-build list, before they buy the parts.
Go for it.

Derek :wink:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by LivingFreeForever on topic Software Turnig Off ONLY when using GoPro Clips

Posted 06 Mar 2016 16:35 #5
Hi. I never got around to doing more than practice one tiny clip on the reverse and didn't even save it. I was just wanting to know how to do it for the future. Here is what I found regarding my pc.
XPS 9530
Windows 10
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702HQ CPU @ 2.20Hz 2.20GHz
Installed RAM 16.0
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
I will talk to Ric and see if he will agree to Noah building his own pc. Ric and I can learn a little too whle we are at it. We are never to old to learn. Right? :)
Thanks again for helping us out so much.
If Ric agrees and when we are ready, you bet I will be contacting you for the details on building a pc. It will be a gaming pc but also making movies and such. We will want it "Loaded" lol :)
Talk soon. Melody :)

Posted 06 Mar 2016 17:55 #6
Your CPU can actually turbo speed up to 3.2 GHz, so it is fast enough for video editing.
I just needed to check and make sure it was suitable for video editing.

One thing you should check is the GPU settings in Movie Studio.
Go to Options/Preferences/Video
Under GPU Acceleration, open the drop down box.
If there is a GPU showing as an option, make sure it is selected to turn it on, then re-boot Movie Studio.
This should improve playback in the Preview Window.

Posted 06 Mar 2016 19:09 #7
Under GPU I have 2 choices. Intel (R) Corporation or NVIDIA(corp) GeForce. Which one should I choose? I have Intel selected as of now. I may have tried the other way too. Not sure. I noticed the more or longer clips I have of GoPro the more trouble. I am doing a video today but only a small segment is GoPro (small time lapse) and it's not causing me trouble. YEsterday I had over one hour of GoPro time laspses and video I was cutting down. Maybe it was too much on the timeline at once? Is that possible? I'm thinking yes since I didn't have trouble today. I used my smartphone camera for most the video except for the time lapse. (Samsung Galaxy S6 active).
I can tell you love what you do to go out of your way to help me. Did I say thank you? :) THANK YOU. I'm not kidding. You are a life saver! You can use any of my comments or parts of my comments as a testimonial for your website as to how happy I am with you, your website, and your YouTube channel :)
Melody :)

Posted 06 Mar 2016 23:17 #8
It would be best to experiment with both options and see which one gives the best performance.
Normally an Nvidia Graphics Card should give better performance than Intel HD Graphics, however if the Nvidia is only a very basic model, Intel may be better.
So set to Nvidia and then re-boot Movie Studio to make the change active.

This should now improve playback in the Preview Window and help process some Video FX.

I really need to see a copy of your Movie Studio .vf Project File for the project that is giving you problems.
I need to see what settings you are using and how the timeline has been set up.
The .vf project file is very small and contains no video, but it will show me the layout of everything.
You can email this to me using help@moviestudiozen.com

Please also note that you shouldn't have other program open and running when using Movie Studio. Also make sure your Virus Protector is not running scans in the background. This is common cause for programs overloading and crashing.

Last week I actually installed a Testimonials page for Movie Studio Zen, after many people asking about it.
You can post your testimonial here: www.moviestudiozen.com/support/testimonials
Please note that your email address will not be made public when you use the form - it is just there for private communication.

Thank you :)

Posted 10 Mar 2016 11:41 #9
It ended up working out. I just notice when I put to many GoPro time lapse clips on the timeline...that is when it shuts down or slows down. I ended up being able to make the video so I won't bother you with those files. I also think part of the problem is that I had the GoPro software open a the same time as I had the Movie Studio Platinum 13 software open. I think that may have been the main proble because once I shut it and started working on the videos in Sony I didn't have any problems. I'll see if that is it for sure once I get around to do antoher video.
I ALSO do have a virus protector running while I'm working. I definitely will turn it off next time. So maybe that is it along with having the GoPro software program open. Very interesting. This is a perfect example of how I would not know any of this unless you would have told me.
I left a testimonial just now for you :) Ric and I both agree you are the best teacher we ever had for any subject we ever took in our lives lol :) Thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

Posted 10 Mar 2016 12:18 #10
Thanks for the report back.
Thank you also for leaving a great testimonial :wink:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.913 seconds