Solved How to do simple background noise reduction wtih Sound Forge 11?

• Thank you received: 8

How to do simple background noise reduction with Sound Forge 11? was created by kkfung

I have used audacity and cool edit to reduce background noise before. But when I tried to use Sound Forge 11 to do noise reduction, I was totally lost.

I don't even know how to capture the noise print and apply to the whole track and what levels to set the parameters.

There is also the noise gate threshold which I have not encountered before.

I searched in vain in the forum archive for a tutorial on the subject. Other youtube tutorials are pretty hopeless.

I would appreciate a basic tutorial, please.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vidchick
31 Dec 2018 10:11 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 48

Replied by Robbie on topic How to do simple background noise reduction wtih Sound Forge 11?

Hi KKFUNG
I’m not familiar with Sound Forge 11 but SF Audio Studio 12.5 has a Denoiser function under the Tools>Audio Restoration menu item(I recall SF10 had a Tools>Audio Restoration menu item but I can’t recall what options it had available).

In SF 12.5 the process is broadly:
  • Highlight qa small sample of the noise to be removed
  • From the Menu bar open Tools>Audio Restoration and click on “Denoiser: Provide Selection as noise nample” (yes my version does actually say “noise nample”) then click OK
  • Highlight the area of the clip you want to remove noise from
  • From the menu bar open Tools>Audio Restoration>Denoiser. Click on Preview and toggle the Bypass check box to hear the effect. If happy with the result click OK to apply.

Noise Gate may not be helpful for this purpose as in many cases it will effectively remove noise below the sp3ecified dB threshold in the quiet sections, but if noise is audible in sections louder than the threshold it won't necessarily be removed from that section. The unwanted noise then tends to be more noticeable as it drops in and out.
Hope that helps
Cheers, Robbie
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Vidchick
31 Dec 2018 21:09 #2
Attachments:

Replied by kkfung on topic How to do simple background noise reduction wtih Sound Forge 11?

Thanks.

But it appears that the Sound Forge 12's user interface is very different from Sound Forge 11. There is no menu item as “Denoiser: Provide Selection as noise sample” .

I tried to use something called "capture noiseprint", but it did not help to reduce noise when applied to the whole track.

When I exported the sound track from Sound Forge 11 as a .wav file and processed it in Audacity, I was able to reduce the background noise easily. I wish I knew why Sound Forge 11 works so differently.
01 Jan 2019 10:58 #3

• Thank you received: 1315

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to do simple background noise reduction wtih Sound Forge 11?

Hi KK

I use the Noise Reduction plugin in Sound Forge Pro 11 for many of my tutorials, to reduce the background noise from computer fans.

To use the Noise Reduction plugin effectively, make sure to always record about 10 seconds of "background noise" at the beginning of a recording, before you begin to speak.

Step 1
Open file in Sound Forge Pro 11 and then drag your mouse pointer to make a selection of "background noise" - make sure there is no talking in this.

Step 2
Go to Tools and select the Noise Reduction plugin.
Select Capture Noise Print in bottom left corner.
Then press the Preview button.
Your selection will now play and noise print will be captured.
You can select the Noiseprint tab to view results if you like.

Step 3
Go back to General tab.
Right-click the blank space below the Real-time check box and choose Select All Data from the shortcut menu.
Now press the Preview button - the entire file will now play so you can hear the result of removing the captured noiseprint.

Step 4
Before you apply the Noise Reduction, you can now adjust the settings to increase or decrease the amount of Noise Reduction applied.
Example = moving dB slider or changing Modes.
Press the ? next to About and you can read Help File.

When you are happy with the result, press the OK button to process the entire file.
If you make a mistake, press CTRL+Z to un-do changes.

Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kkfung, Vidchick
01 Jan 2019 13:56 #4

Replied by kkfung on topic How to do simple background noise reduction wtih Sound Forge 11?

Very helpful and detailed tutorial. I would never have been able to figure it out on my own. Sound Forge 11 deserves an award for obscure user interface!

By the way, your hint on setting Sound Forge and Vegas Pro both to "run as administrator" solves my long-standing issue of integrating the two programs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, Vidchick
02 Jan 2019 05:52 #5

Suppose I want to reduce noise on only one section of the track, how do I select that section for attention.

And when I finish with the noise reduction, do I simply "save" the operation and go back to Vegas Pro?
03 Jan 2019 10:17 #6

• Thank you received: 1315

Replied by DoctorZen on topic How to do simple background noise reduction wtih Sound Forge 11?

Suppose I want to reduce noise on only one section of the track, how do I select that section for attention.

After Step 2 when you have captured your Noise Print, right-click the blank area again and select Save Current.
Close Noise Reduction window.
Now select the section you want to repair.
Open Noise Reduction window.
Preview selection and when you are happy, press OK to process.

And when I finish with the noise reduction, do I simply "save" the operation and go back to Vegas Pro?

If you have Sound Forge and Vegas Pro linked and opened a copy of your file from Vegas Pro to Sound Forge, pressing SAVE in Sound Forge will automatically update the WAVE file copy on Vegas timeline.
Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems.
Peace :)
03 Jan 2019 11:09 #7

Thanks. So that is what "save current" is used for.

It saves the extra steps of pasting the chosen selection to a new file and then using the "select all data" to noise reduce that particular selection using the saved noiseprint.
04 Jan 2019 05:48 #8

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MSZ Security

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2019 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.