Solved .WAV files will not open

• Thank you received: 0
I'm having a recurring problem with Sound Forge Audio Studio 14 which has to do with some .wav files that won't open.
When I try to open the files I get this message:

"Warning: An error occurred during the current operation.
The file could not be opened. Make sure the file exists and that you have access to the file folder."

This happens when I double click the files and also when I try to drag and drop it into Sound Forge.

I've tried to open the same files in Izotope RX6 and they wouldn't open and the message was "the file could not be found".

Interestingly, the files open with no problem in Izotope Ozone 9 and after being exported with the same file name will then open
in Sound Forge Audio Studio.

I've emailed MAGIX tech support about this but they hadn't heard of this issue.

It's a very odd issue and I'm thinking that it's some corruption of the files but they all look the same - they are all .wav files and the properties seem to be the same as the .wav files that will open with no problem.

If anyone knows anything about this I'll be grateful to hear from you.

Thanks!
19 Dec 2020 10:31 #1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1447

Replied by DoctorZen on topic .WAV files will not open

For the last 12 months I have been receiving many different messages about files that refuse to open - not limited to only Vegas and Sound Forge.
I am suspicious that Windows 10 updates may possibly be the source of this problem.
More specifically, I think it is a Windows File Permissions problem - something in the permission tags is getting corrupted.

One thing that use to work in the past, was to run Vegas and Sound Forge in Administrator mode.
This forces all permissions to their highest level.
To run any program in Administrator mode, right-click program icon on Desktop and select Run as administrator.
To force this as a permanent setting (set and forget), right-click program icon and go to Properties/Compatibility.
Select Run this program as as administrator and apply.
Do this for all programs that are not opening .wav files.
*This may not fix problem, but is worth trying first.

Another thing you can try is to resave the .wav files.
If you can manage to open in any program that supports .wav, re-render as .wav a 2nd time.
Try Audacity (free program).

If your Hard Drive is really old, it may be producing disc errors that are causing file corruptions.
This has happened to me twice!!!.
Small random errors started to happen until the Hard Drive completely failed.
If this is cause of problem, make sure you are backing up regularly.
:idea: Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Peace :)
20 Dec 2020 10:14 #2
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds

Make a Donation

Movie Studio Zen is a fully independent site and all our content is free. You can help support this site by making a PayPal donation.

MSZ Social Media

youtube  facebook  twitter

MovieStudioZen.com

Copyright © 2021 MovieStudioZen.com.
All rights reserved.