VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved A Q on the way the timeline works in Vegas

A Q on the way the timeline works in Vegas was created by peterh337

Posted 11 Aug 2016 20:57 #1
When you start up Vegas, the timeline is aligned at 00:00:00 at the LH end.

When you import some video media, and drag it down to the timeline, it normally gets dragged to be left-aligned. Why put it anywhere else?

BUT the video itself contains date+time, all the way along, embedded in every single video frame!

Is there an option to align the video (or maybe move the timeline time axis instead) using its internal time?

I ask this because when you import SRT data, it gets placed according to the timeline time axis. I am using Vegasaur SRT import (it generates Sony Text subtitle objects) and it has a "place at cursor" option but that doesn't do anything. So I have to manually move the subtitle block to make it line up, which has some problems:

1) On a video such as this vimeo.com/178430224 where there is a subtitle object every 3 seconds or so, the existence of thousands of subtitles slows down the UI of the program so much it only barely works. It's not completely unusable, and anyway I just do an intermediate render at this point.

2) There may not always be usable cues for the alignment

3) The process loads ALL the subtitles in the SRT file, so the loading (followed by the intermediate render) has to be done before any cutting.

So, in short, is there any way to make Vegas use the time embedded in the video to position it on the timeline?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by DoctorZen on topic A Q on the way the timeline works in Vegas

Posted 12 Aug 2016 08:18 #2
I seriously do not understand what you are asking.
Maybe another forum member will understand.

Where ever the timeline cursor is located on the timeline, is where the media will be imported to, unless you manually drag and position into place.
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.

Replied by peterh337 on topic A Q on the way the timeline works in Vegas

Posted 12 Aug 2016 16:25 #3
I am asking if there is an option for Vegas to align video (say mp4) media, which is being drag/dropped onto the timeline, according to its built-in time data.

Mpeg video has date/time (from the camera) embedded in every frame.

Replied by vkmast on topic A Q on the way the timeline works in Vegas

Posted 12 Aug 2016 18:32 #4
See if this thread is of any help.
by vkmast
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen, mmcswnavy24, Eagle Six, peterh337

Replied by DoctorZen on topic A Q on the way the timeline works in Vegas

Posted 12 Aug 2016 19:28 #5
OK, now I am with you :!:
You wanted to know how to Sync Timecode.

Crystal clear now :lol:
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterh337

Replied by peterh337 on topic A Q on the way the timeline works in Vegas

Posted 16 Aug 2016 23:33 #6
OK; with Vegasaur I have been able to load both videos and SRT files (the latter via Vegasaur) onto the timeline, at the right place.

Is the same thing possible with sound? I would think an MP3 file would contain a date/time already.

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.726 seconds