VEGAS Pro 21 - On Sale Now!
DISCLOSURE: Movie Studio Zen is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on this site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Solved AMD/MSI R9 390 Video Card - Vegas Pro 13 Dual Monitor Preview Problem

• Eagle Six
  • Eagle Six's Avatar Offline Topic Author
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
  • Thank you received: 567
[Update: Solution in post #4]

I've been searching the web as well as called MSI support, no fix at this point, so I figure it is time to put it out here and perhaps get some suggestions.

I have the same dual monitor setup that was on an old computer (GTX 460 card) and worked fine, now on a new computer build (monitors aren't fancy).

Problem.....when I click to view the preview on the 2nd monitor, the play freezes on the preview display of the 1st monitor, while timeline continues to run!

If I turn off the R9 390 in Options > Preferences > Video > GPU Acceleration of video processing, everything works as normal.

I have the latest driver (according to MSI tech support) version 16.7.3 with the hotfix 16.8.2.

Anyone have a suggestion? Anyone running an AMD/MSI Radeon R9 390 with Vegas Pro 13 and what driver are you using? Thanks in Advance!

Here are the system specs......

Corsair Obsidian Series 450D ATX Mid Tower
Asus X99-A II LGA 2011-v3, Intel X99 SATA 6 Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-6800K 15M Broadwell-E, 6 core 3.4 GHz LGA 2011-v3
32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 8GB Video Card
Corsair RMx Series RM750X 740W 80 Plus Gold power pack
Corsair Neutron XT 2.5 480GB SATA III SSD 'C' drive
Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM SATA 6Bb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 data drive
Western Digitial 1TB 7200 RPM SATA working drive
Bluray Disc burner drive
Microsoft Window 7 Professional
Best Regards......George
Last Edit:24 Aug 2016 01:10 by Eagle Six

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I suggest you do a search on the Sony Creative Software Vegas Pro Forum.
www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/showtopics.asp?forumid=4

Just about every Graphics Card ever made has been tested by the members here.
I don't have time to search this myself, but I reckon this is where you will find some good info and help.

Derek
ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

I just did a quick experiment on my own computer.
Right-click the Preview Window and select Preview Device Preferences.
If you turn OFF Display Frames in Video Preview Window during playback, this disables the smaller Preview Window when viewing on Second Monitor.
However the Preview does work again when you turn off 2nd display button above preview.

I am wondering if you turn OFF Optimize GPU Display Performance instead of turning off GPU Acceleration in Options/Preferences/Video, if this makes a difference.

I am also wondering about the type of monitor connectors you are using and if this makes a difference ?
You should have 2x DVI, 1x Display Port and 1x HDMI

ℹ️ Remember to turn everything off at least once a week, including your brain, then sit somewhere quiet and just chill out.
Unplugging is the best way to find solutions to your problems. If you would like to share some love, post a customer testimonial or make a donation.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Eagle Six

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
Thank You Derek for the replies and suggestions.

I had actually tried all your suggestions and it didn't change the results, however I went back and tried them again, and again I got the same results. And, there is a good reason why!!

After running hundreds of searches I started to get suspicious of my cables and monitors. Then I realized during the build process, which I pulled a keyboard, mouse and monitor to the bench area I was using to perform the physical assembly, I had actually swapped a monitor that was not a part of the old system.

Even though the Nec and Samsung monitors I was using as monitor 1 (the Nec on the old computer, and then the Samsung on the new build) were of very similar specs, I found out there is a difference. Once I got the monitor mix back to the same setup as with the old computer, everything is working correctly, as did it before the new build.

There was no reason I swapped the Nec for the Samsung during the new build, other than convenience, and that same convenience followed me when I placed the new build system in the office, where then I finally plugged in the 2nd monitor (Dell), and this problem started!!

Conclusion #1 -- George learned something!!!

Conclusion #2 -- Different GPU's, different monitors, and different cables can make the difference. In my case it was the difference of monitors, which I thought would be the same......I was wrong. The Nec and Dell like each other, The Samsung and Dell did not play well with each other.

Conclusion #2 -- The exact difference/reason Vegas Pro 13 didn't like the combination of Samsung and Dell monitors, is still unknown to me, but at this point I'm not arguing with success!

Thank You again Derek (and any other members who may have spent time on this) for your suggestions and time replying.
Best Regards......George
The following user(s) said Thank You: DoctorZen

• Eagle Six
  • Zen Master
  • Zen Master
  • Check Your Six!
Update......

I have a 19" 4:3 monitor and a 21.5" 1080p 16:9 monitor for my dual monitor setup. It was fine on the old system. But on the new build I wanted the 1080p 16:9 as the main monitor and the old 4:3 monitor for full screen viewing. That just wasn't possible no matter what combination of GPU ports and cables I used.

So, I picked up two 24" 1080p 16:9 matching monitors and have them working as they should. I have learned with any given dual monitor GPU and any given different monitors, getting Vegas to work as it should isn't a given. When everything is matched, it is easier, although miss-matching the monitors may work (as they did on my old computer), they may not work in the sequence desired!

Regardless.....George is finally happy that things are working properly, not so delighted about buying two new monitors, but well worth the bucks to get this out of my hair so I can get back to editing.
Best Regards......George

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Moderators: DoctorZen
Time to create page: 0.785 seconds